Help sore muscles!

Options
I tried out a cycling class on Monday morning and I could hardly stand up when I got off the bike. I had to struggle to get out to my car afterwards. I have tried Tylenol and icing my knees but my quad muscles seem to be getting worse. It feels as if they are tearing apart when moving. I tried to go for a short walk if you could call it walking. Please help me return to somewhat normal.

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    drink plenty of water and rest. if you want you can kind of gently massage the muscles to increase the circulation. you kind of did tear the muscles and now you're experiencing the pain while your body is repairing them. i find i'm usually the most sore 2 days after, then it eases up a bit.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    You're pretty much just going to have to wait it out. Going too hard when doing something your muscles aren't used to can cause massive DOMS.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Next time, spin the pedals at a higher cadence with less force.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Keeping the muscles moving usually helps, so avoid sitting for long periods. Drink lots of water. :+1:
  • CrabbyCancerMama
    CrabbyCancerMama Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I would get a foam Roller helps a ton
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    In addition to the great tips above, you can get relief by soaking in an Epsom Salt bath. The magnesium helps reduce inflammation. I do that for 15-20 minutes after my long run each week. It helps to ease the muscle soreness brought on by long marathon training runs.
  • JCFan3
    JCFan3 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your tips and advice. I have soaked, walked, massaged, increased my water intake, applied heat and ice. I finally broke down and went to the dr because it was not getting any better. It was actually getting worse. He put me on pain meds, anti-inflammatories, and muscle relaxers. I may have torn some ligaments. Hoping it is only major strain on my muscles and it will be better in a couple of weeks. Will do more testing then if not better.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    hyperactive, tight quads can make you feel like your kneecaps have been removed by the mafia. i know the times i squatted incautiously and put myself in that state, the main thing that helped was doing the standing heel-to-bum stretch on my rectus femoris for at least 30 seconds per side, several times a day.

if you're worried that something is actually torn though, extra caution may be advised. see if the muscle relaxants help at all.