Want to lose the weight, not my mind...

Options
annathebanana135
annathebanana135 Posts: 17 Member
edited January 2017 in Motivation and Support
So first, I want to say i completed day 4 of my diary with a positive outcome. So I'm feeling proud, but this voice in my head tells me after every meal that im still hungry and I NEED MORE! then through out the day all i crave is unhealthyness. I want taco bell bean and cheese burritos, McDonalds fries and a chocolate shake, and cookies. The worst part is i want a lot of it too. On top of that, counting calories (which is new for me), working a full time and a small part time job, life in general i have a few friends who like me to do some photography sessions, i dont know how to get a work out routine going. I use to work out, from summer til november and played softball, so i know what works best for me but coming up with a schedule..... im losing my mind! Im slowly becoming depress every night is a battle to fight tears. Im mentally exhausted and i feel like its effecting my body making it hard to focus on a workout routine and schedule. This is my goal/plan: i was going to hold off working out for 7 days to allow me to grasp this new journey of counting calories and eating better because i knew it would be a challenge and i have never done this before. Once i established that i was going to get in my workouts. Im going on day 5 tomorrow and have came up with nothing of a schedule, im at a lost! I really want to lose weight, i dont want to give up. Here is my work schedule, if u have any suggestion on a routine i would love the help and support.
Thank u for letting me vent.

Mon- 7:30am-5:45pm then 6:30pm-10:30 or 11pm
Tues- 7:30am-5:45pm then 6:30pm- 8:30pm
Wed- 7:30am-5:45pm then 6:30pm- 8:30pm
Thurs- 7:30am-5:45pm
Fri: 7:30am-5:45pm
Sat- off
Sun- off

I get called in on occasion at my part time job which is at a pizza joint i also get called off once in a while, or stay late or leave ealry (if you worked in food you get it)

Replies

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    Concentrate on getting one thing straight at a time, so that you don't get overwhelmed and give up.

Exercise is great for health and fitness, and can give you a buffer of extra calories to eat, but if your focus is weight loss then start with your calories and don't worry about anything else for now. If you're eating less than you burn, you will lose weight regardless of exercise.

Make sure you set a reasonable goal in MFP so that you're not cutting your calories too much - don't go for 2lbs a week if you have less than ~75lbs to lose. You can start with a much higher calorie allowance and gradually cut back if you need to as you get closer to your goal weight. (I started with 1500 and am now down to 1250 after losing 50lbs - if I'd started with 1200-1300 I never would have stuck with it! And I do hardly any exercise, so if I was active I could eat more.)

You can still eat fast food if you want it, but probably not as much or as often as you want it - you need to fit it into your calorie goal. You can either work in something a few times a week, or you can save up some calories during the week to have the food you crave at the weekend (for example). Bear in mind that although you can eat whatever you want and still lose weight so long as you're in a calorie deficit, it's still advisable to consider nutrition and satiety so think about what foods keep you feeling full for the longest time. If that burrito is going to cost you 800 calories and still leave you hungry again in a couple of hours, then maybe it's best not to have one every day... ;) Try to get a decent amount of protein and healthy fats each day, and have a cookie after supper if you have the calories left for it.

If you're feeling hungry after every meal, then it could be that you're not choosing foods that are filling to you (for some people this is protein and/or fat, for others it's carbs - experiment to find what works for you). Or it could be that you've cut back too aggressively on your intake and you need to ease off a bit. It could even be that you're just used to eating much more and need to get used to having less. Reassure yourself that you won't starve if you don't eat until your next mealtime, and that there will still be food available later if you don't have it right now. I won't lie, it's no fun feeling hungry! But most people do start to adjust over time, and cutting back gradually on your calories can help with that adjustment too. If you really want to lose weight, I'm afraid you have to accept that you won't be able to eat like you used to and you might feel hungry at times! Finding out which foods keep you full will be really helpful. You may also find that drinking water, tea or diet soda helps; sometimes we think we're hungry when really we're thirsty instead.

So, in short, forget the exercise for now and just concentrate on getting the "calories in" side of things under control. Give yourself a month to deal with that before you start worrying about anything else - it takes time to build new habits.

Once you get the hang of that, you can start thinking about ways to add in some exercise. But just take things slowly at the start and deal with one thing at a time. Check out the stickied posts at the top of these forum sections for lots of helpful advice!
  • TimeToChange007
    TimeToChange007 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything suesuedio said! Also, just as a suggestion for when you do want to add exercise, use your thurs-sun to do most of it. As someone who has done the split shift type work, that 45 mins - hour end up being super important for not getting overwhelmed. With that being said, if you want to, use that time to go for a walk or something of that nature just to keep moving. Aside from that, I find days off are both the best and worst days to do a full work out because on the one hand, it's your day off so you have the day to relax or do other things you need to do, but on the other hand, it's your day off and you may just want to relax or do other things. Thursday and Friday after work are also very good options.
    Also, you don't have to work out every single day or be super active every day. It's also easier to start out with 1-2 work outs a week to start, just to ease yourself into it with the goal being 3 or more work outs a week.
    Scheduling will end up working out best when you figure out what works for you. I know I'm not a morning person so I always go work out after a class I have on Monday because I know after 3 hours of a classroom, it's better I get moving and on Tuesday and Wednesdays when I don't work until 4, I go a couple of hours before work so that I'm not late to work and I can already have the work out done. My one day off, I choose if I rather sleep all day and relax or go work out depending on how I'm feeling from the rest of the week then with the rest of the week when I have to be up at 8, I know I'm not going to work out because I'll be tired and cranky the whole time.
    It can take some time to figure out exactly what works for you and your schedule but that's really what I would suggest.
  • annathebanana135
    annathebanana135 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys, this is very helpful. I think i will adjust my goals, maybe i will hold off another week of excersie and dedicate and expirement with food to find that balance, that is the most important to me because i over eat and its not healthy.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Agreeed.. I am focused on my eating for the next 30 days. I need to get that right in my mind before I can worry about everything else. Feel free to add me. I am not perfect and my food diary shows it... Good luck.. Take it 1 day at a time...