Exercise alternatives?

Options
My PT recommended not to do barbell overhead push presses. What are some alternative exercises that does not use the barbell?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Didn't he give you an alternative?
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Options
    Yes, would love to hear suggests from others.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Is the problem the overhead push movement or the barbell?

Without knowing more I'd say landmine presses and dumbbell shoulder presses.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    dumbbell overhead press
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Is the problem the overhead push movement or the barbell?

Without knowing more I'd say landmine presses and dumbbell shoulder presses.

Barbell
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    Just had my first PT session so I know I have more suggestions to come. Thank you for the alternatives.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Did your PT give a reason for avoiding OHP?
    Do you have a pre existing condition such as an injured rotator cuff?
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Did your PT give a reason for avoiding OHP?
    Do you have a pre existing condition such as an injured rotator cuff?

PT said stay away from barbell because it constricts movement. My non dominant shoulder has issues. I cannot say for sure it's an injured rotator cuff but I'm sure it's an issue. More like soreness.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Learning to discern between soreness and pain is critical for avoiding injury. If it is in fact pain and it has persisted for some time you should have it checked out.
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    Learning to discern between soreness and pain is critical for avoiding injury. If it is in fact pain and it has persisted for some time you should have it checked out.

Any suggestions on alternative exercises?
  • mrramsey1969
    mrramsey1969 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Is that anything like 'the alternative facts'? Sorry I couldn't help myself :#
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Please ask your trainer or a qualified physical therapist for alternatives that meet your physical limitations, rather than taking suggestions from random Internet strangers with no medical knowledge and no knowledge of your situation. Why would you want our suggestions instead of theirs? Dumbbells, resistance bands, TRX all offer alternatives but they may not be safe for you, depending on the problem.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on alternative exercises?

I suggest asking your PT or doctor. Following random advice on the internet could worsen your shoulder - even if it worked for someone else. :+1:
  • mattyc772014
    Options
    I thought my question was pretty clear. I'll start over again.

What are some alternative exercises to overhead barbell presses?

I have enough common sense to understand what or what not to do. The purpose here is get an idea of different exercises.

lol alternative facts. Lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to work the same muscles, overhead press anything other than a barbell. Dumbbell, kettlebell, plates, cast iron skillets, babies, pumpkins, etc. Or do handstand pushups. That's assuming that your doctor hasn't advised against overhead pressing.