Coping with Compulsive Eating and Body Dysmorphic Disorder

Options
RickyCoogin
RickyCoogin Posts: 178 Member
edited January 2017 in Introduce Yourself
I'm just starting out here. I'm 6'3" and 262 lbs as of this morning. I'm hoping to lose 60-70 lbs.

I've been a compulsive eater since I was a teenager. In the last 10-15 years, I've also developed a real interest in cooking, which hasn't helped since the sooner you finish one thing you've cooked, you get to make something else. Maybe if I had a family to cook for, it would be easier. The way I'm trying to combat this is to cut many of my recipes in half. For example, many ask for a three-lb roast or four lbs of chicken (I use my slow cooker a lot) and that's just too much for me even if I try to parcel it out over six or eight helpings. Better to make no more than two or maybe four servings of something and get to cook every day or other day.

I also struggle hugely with Body Dysmorphic Disorder. I am extremely self-conscious about my height and size and I also lost my hair early in life. People blow my problem off because they say it's ridiculous me to hate being big because "lots of guys wish they were bigger" and to resent being bald because "lots of guys shave their heads even when they don't need to." In other words, dump your own opinion and learn to think like everyone else.

That's not going to happen, neither is the fantasy that "looks don't matter." However, I can't go through my life hating myself. I figure the best I can do is minimize the things I dislike about myself, at least those that are changeable (it's not like I can hide my height or wear hats all my life). I figure the best I can do with my body is get as lean as I can (conversely, everyone else thinks I should "take advantage of [my] size" and start going crazy lifting weights).

One thing I WILL not do is attempt to starve myself small. I am going to be using the calorie counter religiously and make sure I eat three meals a day regardless. Otherwise, I'll skip a meal or two and then end up pigging out, not even out of hunger but just boredom (and desire to cook some more).

Replies

• GettingFit5551
    GettingFit5551 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you. I think when people make comments they are just trying to give you some positive vibes. I love to cook too and even though I have a family they are picky and don't like to try new things. Feel free to add me as a friend and maybe we can give each other some recipe ideas and motivation.
  • annathebanana135
    annathebanana135 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can do this, and being able to cook can benifit you! If you make to much have it as left overs, a lot of people make their food for the entire week. Make healthier meals, you know what you like try to make it more healthy by switching out ingridents or have a smaller portion. I am a over eater and i personally found it easier to start with portion control, i also took the advice to have small meals with snacks inbetween, that also helped. Start with small goals and dont give up!
  • Devvin31
    Devvin31 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I believe you can do it. It sounds like you know what the problem is and you know the best way to fix, so I have no doubts that you will be able to overcome all your obstacles! Keep me posted. I'd love to know how your journey ends!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Are you talking to anyone about this? A therapist? I think you know these are not rational thoughts you're having. If so, what do they say about it? If not, why not?

As for cooking, maybe think about ways you can use this interest to help others? Volunteer at a soup kitchen, or make food for fundraising events for causes you care about. It might also help you to feel good about yourself in ways that don't involve your physical appearance.

In a way, I can relate. Being a tall, big woman in a society that values waifs is a challenge. But I realized recently that while I'm never going to be and don't want to be a waif, I also don't need to stay big-for-no-purpose. I'm working on looking and being athletic so that even if people notice how tall I am (because they always do), at least they might also think, "which probably makes her really good at her sport." Gives a purpose to it. Also, I enjoy my sport of choice, so there's that. :)

Anyway, good luck on facing down these challenges. I'm rooting for you.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like your therapist(s) weren't of the type that could help you. My son is in therapy for severe anxiety disorder. The first two we tried said a lot of that sort of thing. It was crap and just made things worse. The third one was actually useful. My son is now functioning well and will leave for college in the fall -- something we were sure was impossible. He is now able to set aside what he thinks should be, and deal with the reality of what is.

What you're doing now (just suffering) isn't working either. But I'll leave it there. If you're against it, and I understand why you'd feel that way, it certainly won't help.

I hope someone else with these disorders speaks up to offer their experiences. Best wishes.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Were you diagnosed by a psychiatrist or did you just talk to a therapist about body issues etc?

If you haven't been formally diagnosed by a psychiatrist and received specific treatment (your therapist so far sound very out of touch) I urge you to do so as proper treatment can make an enormous day to day difference in quality of life.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    That's fine ... you choose if you see anyone else.

But a psychiatrist is not a 'therapist' and they can actually diagnose conditions such as BDD whereas a therapist can't.

I have suffered from BDD in the past and very nearly had cosmetic surgery I couldn't afford, and certainly didn't need.

Things are better since then but I still have body image issues.

I like your sensible approach to not starving yourself. Good luck to you.
  • wolflady1972
    wolflady1972 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My 2 boys are 6'5" & 6'3" they hate that everyone asks if the player ball.lol I know the struggle
  • s3rialthrill3r
    s3rialthrill3r Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hmm. So, you don't want to be seen as a "big bald guy". How would you like others to see you?