Running: Longer Distance or Faster Time?

Options
The other day I surprised myself by jogging about 2.5 miles at a rate of just under 11 minutes per mile. Even not being a runner, I know that's pretty bad, but I'm over 260 lbs and not used to running (I spent the next two days practically limping).

I'm guessing it might be more beneficial if I scaled my running back to two miles and tried to go faster each time rather than adding an extra lap or two every so often. Any opinions?

Replies

• theamazingcassiebunny
    Options
    Faster isn't necessarily better. More distance means more endurance.

What are your goals with running? Do you want to run a 5k, for example? Do you just want to run a mile in under a certain time? No matter what your ultimate goal, take it slowly so you don't get injured. Make sure to not add to much speed or distance to each run at first, and take a rest day when you need to.

I have sprained my foot due to trying to add too much mileage at once (and I wasn't a total novice runner at the time), so I can tell you from experience that it's better to let yourself get acclimated before you go too crazy.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    First, just a bit of advice... While running does burn more calories than just about any other exercise, you cannot rely on it to loose weight. You must learn to eat properly. What happens if you can't run for a while? All the food you got used to eating while running will suddenly be too much when you can't.

For the goal of burning calories, distance is king. And as a bonus, as you run longer you get faster. Just take it easy since injury risk is high if you go too fast or too far before your body is ready. I suggest following a plan like 'couch to 5k'.

Good luck.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on your running! A pace of 11:00 min/mi over 2.5 miles is not bad at all!

With regards to your question, I agree with @theamazingcassiebunny in that trying to run too fast too soon holds a very real risk for all kinds of injuries, and you ultimately end up getting no running done while you go through the necessary recovery period. I would suggest to maybe first focus on correct running form, and to slowly build up your mileage from there, increasing by no more than 10% per week. Speed increase will occur naturally over time.

For running form, there's plenty of videos out there to learn from, but a couple of pieces of advice I heard that helped me (and I still keep them in mind) are:
    • picture a cord attached to the top of your head that is pulled taut so that your body is kept straight
    • imagine you have headlights attached to your hips and your nipples...keep them all pointing in the same direction at all times

As the golden rule is to avoid injury, make sure you invest in a decent pair of sneakers, and replace them often (I get about 400-500 miles out of mine before I get a new pair.

Finally, consider joining the monthly running challenge thread! January's thread is nearing the end, and a new one will be started for February...they're a friendly lot in there, ranging from newcomers to experienced marathoners, with plenty of good advice and encouragement to be found.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    Read up on 80/20 running, where 80% of your running should be at an easy pace (that is, you can hold a conversation easily, or sing, while running). Don't worry about your pace for now...it will improve over time naturally.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    More distance burns more energy.

I'd second the recommendation for something like C25K as a method of increasing your distance whilst managing your endurance, and reducing your injury risk.

Don't worry about pace, an 11 minute mile is probably a bit fast for now.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Having been about where you are, I would suggest doing both, and neither.

Run for time(30 minutes/45 minutes) whatever. Monitor, and log your distance, and time(per mile). But focus first and mostly on running at a cadence at which you can finish your target. By all means, mix it up and run for distance(3 miles vs 30 minutes)

but, as has already been stressed, pushing your pace too fast(or for that matter adding distance too fast) is the short cut to injury
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    An 11 minute mile is NOT slow. If you ran a 5k at that speed you would be firmly in the middle of the pack. Not slow at all.

Run as fast as you can while singing. If you can't sing (or have a conversation), you are going too fast.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Singing helps regulate your breathing. It also keeps your mind somewhat distracted... allowing your body to set and find a pace... which is helpful at the beginning of a run program.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Currently I'm at at least a 7 Week Level (running 2.5 miles).

You've said that you spent the next two days practically limping and needing support to go down stairs.

I don't even get that running 26 miles.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Since you're new to running and overweight, I suggest you back off and go c25k to gradually get your body used to the stresses of running. Then you can build up both time and distance with less risk of injury. Good luck! Have fun.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    You don't want so intense that you injure yourself.

When I started I gave myself a 30min goal. At first I could only run a few minutes, so walked the remaining. Gradually, I was running the entire 30min. At that point I decided to try to run a little bit faster every time to see how much further I could go in 30min. Once I felt challenged enough, I decided to increase the time. Run for 35min or 40min. Again, I set the time goal and worked up to it. There's no shame in walking!

Now I vary my running, but still run for at least 30min.

Remember you'll have good days and bad days, some runs will feel amazing and others you'll feel like you're slogging through the whole way!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Actually, the walking is a good warmup. Most beginner plans have a 5 minute walking warmup, but farther works too. I just do a slow jog for mine, but I do my runs after walking the dog, so my body is already warmed up.

I agree that if you can run 2.5 miles non-stop, there is no need to go back to 1 minute walk/1 minute run. Do your 2 or 2.5 miles at a very slow jog, a conversational pace. If you are running every other day (recommended for beginners not to do more), after a week, add 1/2 mile to the distance. Keep it slow. After another week, add another .5. By increasing your distance slowly, you may be able to avoid injury. When you reach the point of being comfortable running 15 or so miles per week, then add some speed to one of your weekly runs. For the rest, keep it slow. A slower pace actually burns more fat than a pace that makes you breathless. It also allows you to go farther, more easily. With your weight, there is a huge impact on your knees and feet. Anything that lessens that is good. You might consider doing most of your runs on dirt paths or grass for a while. That is less impact.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    As everyone else has stated, increasing your overall total mileage will lead to an increase in your speed. Slowly increase the distances you're running, no more than 10% each week, so as to avoid various types of injuries. If you get to a point where you feel comfortable with the idea, then maybe one or two runs a week you can start throwing in a little speed work (google strides, fartleks, sprint intervals), again, taking care not to push yourself too hard, too fast. Over time you will see speed gains.

This is all provided you're actually kinda serious about this, and willing to put the effort in. If, as you say, you are purely doing this because you want a high calorie burn, you may be better served looking for a cardio activity that you really enjoy and will stick to, if you are concerned about maintaining your running goals. I will say, however, that running gets to be addicting, so even if you say you don't really enjoy it now, don't be surprised if you find that changes, lol.

And lastly, as others have said, if you are purely looking at this with the goal of weight loss, remember that no matter how much you run (or do any kind of physical exercise) you will not lose weight if you are not at a calorie deficit, so it is just as important (if not more so, as you may find you get hungrier as you increase your physical activity levels) to make sure you are tracking your calorie intake and maintaining a reasonable and healthy deficit. Weight loss only occurs when your calories out exceed your calories in, and exercise just serves as a way of increasing the 'calories out' side of the equation (of course, exercise also has many other health-related benefits).