Where did my "fire" go???

Options
Just 9 days into my weight loss challenge. I've dropped 13 pounds and it's been an awesome week where I felt so motivated and excited to work out. Except for today. I have been sick this week so I'm sure my fatigue is partly from that and of course mother nature is near if you know what I mean and maybe I did too much too fast. Either way I know I should probably try to get in a little cardio and I probably feel better so my question to everyone out there especially the newbies... how and what do you do when you feel like you don't want to exercise or you just don't feel motivated and what gets you back on track? Also if anyone would like to add me I am looking for all the support and motivation and inspiration that I can get right now. Thanks

Replies

• demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I have zero motivation to go to the gym. Thankfully my best friend does so she's started convincing me to go with her
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Motivation isn't something you just "have", for most people. It comes and goes, you have to push through the low days until it becomes a habit. There are plenty of days I just don't feel like going to they gym. There are also days that I don't feel like brushing my teeth, or wiping my butt. But I do these things to avoid looking/feeling/smelling nasty later on.

Do you have a job? Do you feel "motivated" to get up and go to work every day? Probably not. Why do you do it, then? Because it gives you things that are important to you. Namely, a paycheck, and a means to live. Make the gym as much a priority as your job, and motivation won't even factor in.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    You could try to just "go through the motions". Get your workout clothes on and do a "lite" version. Keep building those good habits but take your energy levels into consideration. Often (but not always) when I do this my energy shows up part way through.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    Wow - that's an awful lot of weight to drop in such a short time no wonder you are fatigued.

So many people on here go balls to the wall to begin with and burn out really quickly. TBH - you sound like you are heading that way.

Please use this app. sensibly. Put your stats into MFP and go from there, you will find that the highest weightloss per week recommended is 2 lbs and the lowest calorie intake is 1200. Given how much you have lost in the time frame I am guessing you will go for the highest loss in the shortest time, just remember this is a long term project and success is more about patience and persistence...you didn't put this weight on in a few weeks so it is unfair on yourself and your health to expect it to come off in rapid time.

Slow and steady wins the race. Read the stickies here on the forums and familiarise yourself with the best info. so you give yourself the best chance of success. Get yourself digital kitchen scales and weigh everything you eat accurately and faithfully using the USDA sites....stay away from generic entries. Weightloss boils down to having lower CI to your CO, exercise is not neccessary for weightloss but does help with health and also give you more chance to eat extra - note that the calories burn for exercise here on MFP tend to be inflated so many recommened eating back 50% - 75% of those calories YMMV.

Eat food you enjoy and in a way that you can maintain forever - ignore fad diets, pills, wraps other scams and way out promises.

I have done all of the above suggestions and I have maintained a 178 lb loss for 4 years despite changing health circumstances.

Good luck.

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I posted this as a reply to a friend's status update. For context, I'm coming off a two week stomach virus and have been finding it difficult to get back to my normal workout routine.

"Start back slowly. Do something easy, like cutting your normal cardio session by 30-50% or reducing the weight you're lifting. Or do something else that's active, like a long walk, a yoga class, etc. Anything that gets you in the habit of moving again."