What are your eczema triggers?

Replies

• ShinySkyShaymin1994
    ShinySkyShaymin1994 Posts: 105 Member
    edited January 2017
    Dairy and gluten are biggies. Nightshades can also be a trigger (potatoes, tomatoes, egg plant, peppers, etc). Often eczema is exacerbated by cold/heat depending on the person. Chemicals in soaps, shampoos can be culprits as can essential oils (my DD can't do lavendar oil). Generally speaking, it is recommended to look at diet first, skin/hair products second, cleaning products next, etc. etc. Make sure you don't have a latex allergy if you use or are around latex at work (I do and the reactions can vary from mild to severe on any given day). Other then food and chemicals, the other thing to look at is an overall histamine intolerance which is different from an allergy. A histamine intolerance can cause reactions to foods that you are not technically allergic to but they produce high amounts of histamine in the body and then your body reacts to the histamine by getting eczema.

Once you figure out the trigger(s), Burts Bees Banana Hand Cream was the ONLY thing that took my son's away after we removed food allergens. Burts Bees Coconut Foot Cream worked for awhile but the coconut tended to burn at a times. The banana hand cream never did.

No matter what the cause, to get rid of the allergy causing the eczema go after healing your gut. 70-80% of the immune system is in the gut. When you've got immune issues going on, heal the gut and you fix the immune system reactions. It is a slow process, but with diligence works.

Well I am allergic to Banana's and Kiwi I hear some people with those allergies are also allergic to Avacado's and Latex but I know for sure I am not allergic to Avacado or latex but now that I think about it with Avacado even though doctors say I am not allergic to it sometimes something happens like once felt sick out of breath and going outside to meditate actually helped I mostly felt it in my entire head but during meditation it turned into stomach upset and a few other things with other days, so maybe even though I am not allergic to it maybe I am slightly intolerant to it latex nothing to my knowledge. and yes I understand what you are saying about immune system in mid 2016 I began getting sick bi-monthly then monthly once I started working at a children's hospital and I was really stressed trying to be so perfect with the way I ate that it caused me stress but now I am managing it better. Now it's been 3 months and just got sick again but I think from not bundling up enough from the cold and the massive rain we just had last week but this is day 3 and I am almost better opposed to lasting 5-7 days

What you're describing with avacado is an allergic reaction. I almost mentioned bananas and latex. There is also a pineapple/latex connection. We discovered I was allergic to latex when an allergy test showed me allergic to pineapple and bananas. A lot of times you won't have a reaction to an item until you remove it for 30-60 days and then reintroduce it. I did not react to latex until my ND told me to remove bananas, pineapple, and latex from my life (along with a host of other allergens). We tried latex a month later and I had unbelievable pain! Haven't touched it since. One of the issues with regular MD allergy testing is they frequently miss low lying allergies. The tests are not sensitive enough. It wasn't until we did the ELISA by US BioTek that we finally nailed the allergies in our home. 7yrs of working on healing the gut and we no longer have the allergy issues here. It's a lot of work and takes serious dedication but that first bite into something you couldn't have for a long time is glorious! LOL

Well the symptoms always differ with banana and kiwi it's the same extreme abdominal pain and itching once the kiwi juice touches my skin the symptoms with Avacado are short term to an hour or so but I looked up the symptoms and they actually do add up with everything I had
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Dairy and gluten are biggies. Nightshades can also be a trigger (potatoes, tomatoes, egg plant, peppers, etc). Often eczema is exacerbated by cold/heat depending on the person. Chemicals in soaps, shampoos can be culprits as can essential oils (my DD can't do lavendar oil). Generally speaking, it is recommended to look at diet first, skin/hair products second, cleaning products next, etc. etc. Make sure you don't have a latex allergy if you use or are around latex at work (I do and the reactions can vary from mild to severe on any given day). Other then food and chemicals, the other thing to look at is an overall histamine intolerance which is different from an allergy. A histamine intolerance can cause reactions to foods that you are not technically allergic to but they produce high amounts of histamine in the body and then your body reacts to the histamine by getting eczema.

Once you figure out the trigger(s), Burts Bees Banana Hand Cream was the ONLY thing that took my son's away after we removed food allergens. Burts Bees Coconut Foot Cream worked for awhile but the coconut tended to burn at a times. The banana hand cream never did.

No matter what the cause, to get rid of the allergy causing the eczema go after healing your gut. 70-80% of the immune system is in the gut. When you've got immune issues going on, heal the gut and you fix the immune system reactions. It is a slow process, but with diligence works.

Well I am allergic to Banana's and Kiwi I hear some people with those allergies are also allergic to Avacado's and Latex but I know for sure I am not allergic to Avacado or latex but now that I think about it with Avacado even though doctors say I am not allergic to it sometimes something happens like once felt sick out of breath and going outside to meditate actually helped I mostly felt it in my entire head but during meditation it turned into stomach upset and a few other things with other days, so maybe even though I am not allergic to it maybe I am slightly intolerant to it latex nothing to my knowledge. and yes I understand what you are saying about immune system in mid 2016 I began getting sick bi-monthly then monthly once I started working at a children's hospital and I was really stressed trying to be so perfect with the way I ate that it caused me stress but now I am managing it better. Now it's been 3 months and just got sick again but I think from not bundling up enough from the cold and the massive rain we just had last week but this is day 3 and I am almost better opposed to lasting 5-7 days

What you're describing with avacado is an allergic reaction. I almost mentioned bananas and latex. There is also a pineapple/latex connection. We discovered I was allergic to latex when an allergy test showed me allergic to pineapple and bananas. A lot of times you won't have a reaction to an item until you remove it for 30-60 days and then reintroduce it. I did not react to latex until my ND told me to remove bananas, pineapple, and latex from my life (along with a host of other allergens). We tried latex a month later and I had unbelievable pain! Haven't touched it since. One of the issues with regular MD allergy testing is they frequently miss low lying allergies. The tests are not sensitive enough. It wasn't until we did the ELISA by US BioTek that we finally nailed the allergies in our home. 7yrs of working on healing the gut and we no longer have the allergy issues here. It's a lot of work and takes serious dedication but that first bite into something you couldn't have for a long time is glorious! LOL

Well the symptoms always differ with banana and kiwi it's the same extreme abdominal pain and itching once the kiwi juice touches my skin

It's common to have different reactions to different food allergies. Gluten gave my son hives and eczema. Dairy gave him incontinence and eczema. Other foods the reactions would vary depending on how inflamed his body was at the moment. Hives, rashes, extreme anger, etc. lots of different possibilities reaction wise.
  • kkress92
    kkress92 Posts: 118 Member
    Citrus fruits
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994

Well the symptoms always differ with banana and kiwi it's the same extreme abdominal pain and itching once the kiwi juice touches my skin

It's common to have different reactions to different food allergies. Gluten gave my son hives and eczema. Dairy gave him incontinence and eczema. Other foods the reactions would vary depending on how inflamed his body was at the moment. Hives, rashes, extreme anger, etc. lots of different possibilities reaction wise.

Oh ok were they ever short term?
  • thingofstuff
    thingofstuff Posts: 93 Member
    Nothing food related for me. Mine is hormonal, I get patches on the sides of my thumbs and all over my pinky before and during my magical time. It is also heat-related, in the summer my forearms and hands will break out if I get too much sun or wake up with too many blankets on and the heat is blasting in fall/winter. The cold and dryness of winter also gets me. And finally, chemicals. I work in a cafe and if I use Windex or spray bleach without vinyl gloves all hell and skin cracks break loose. I have a prescription of topical Betamethasone and it is a life saver. I use liquid bandage on any cracks or splits when I'm at work or school and can't have slimy hands covered in cream.
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 210 Member
    sarah12277 wrote: »
    Did have an intolerance test done that confirmed some I knew. Others just figured out on my own

Clove, tomatoes, casein, sesame are my biggies the rest on my test list I still stay away from as best as possible

Almost forgot - caramel color and Red 40

There are intolerance tests???? I never knew that do I just talk to my doctor to figure that out? Salmon used to be an intolerance for me but after I changed my diet I am no longer intolerant to Salmon as far as I know

Yes. While there might be false positives I was okay with that. I took the ALCAT test. It is expensive but I would never have identified clove on my own without that test.
  • Petrolhead75
    Petrolhead75 Posts: 45 Member
    basically anything dairy, cheese makes me really itchy... and I love cheese, plus i'm a veggie, so I have a daily struggle with what I fancy eating versus my skin condition. I developed eczema through stress a couple of years ago, cold weather and strong toiletries also make it worse for me.
  • ronjsteele1

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Do you mean did his reactions last only a short time in terms of minutes/hours? Or do you mean were they short term in terms of years?

In terms of immediate reactions, a reaction for him could last up to 72hrs. But that goes for anyone. An allergic reaction can go from immediate to 72hrs later. His eczema took a long time to get rid of once he got it (sometimes weeks). Hives usually lasted anywhere from 2hrs to 2 days depending on how allergic he was to what he ate.

In terms of years. He started with the food allergies at 15 months old. It took us until he was 9 to find out what was wrong with him. Once we started working on healing him, he was about 15 when he no longer had them. It took us about 6 years to heal his gut.
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994

I'm not sure if I understand your question. Do you mean did his reactions last only a short time in terms of minutes/hours? Or do you mean were they short term in terms of years?

In terms of immediate reactions, a reaction for him could last up to 72hrs. But that goes for anyone. An allergic reaction can go from immediate to 72hrs later. His eczema took a long time to get rid of once he got it (sometimes weeks). Hives usually lasted anywhere from 2hrs to 2 days depending on how allergic he was to what he ate.

In terms of years. He started with the food allergies at 15 months old. It took us until he was 9 to find out what was wrong with him. Once we started working on healing him, he was about 15 when he no longer had them. It took us about 6 years to heal his gut.

Were his allergies short term in terms of seconds minutes hours etc that's what I meant sorry I am just noticing my allergies to pollen trees dust etc aggravated my eczema yesterday was fairly windy and there was something in the breeze when I walked outside I could tell there was something in the air right away I couldn't stand and so my eczema got so bad and still is and it's dry to the bone right now.
  • ronjsteele1

Were his allergies short term in terms of seconds minutes hours etc that's what I meant sorry I am just noticing my allergies to pollen trees dust etc aggravated my eczema yesterday was fairly windy and there was something in the breeze when I walked outside I could tell there was something in the air right away I couldn't stand and so my eczema got so bad and still is and it's dry to the bone right now.

Okay. Got you. Most reactions, minus eczema, will last from a few minutes to a few days depending on the severity of the allergy. Once eczema gets aggravated it would take us weeks sometimes to get our sons under control. Some of that depends on how widespread the eczema is. Our boy's went from his bottom all the way to his ankles on the back of his legs. Literally every inch of skin was affected on the back of his legs. He was literally a bloody mess if his got aggravated so we were really careful to avoid his allergens. That was fairly easy because his was food caused and not environmental. It was aggravated by cold but because it was on his legs and he wore pants the cold didn't affect his legs.

Eczema is a hard thing to conquer for sure. As I said earlier, aim to heal the gut and you'll successfully get rid of it for good. But that's a long process and requires diligence.

All the best.
  • ShinySkyShaymin1994

Okay. Got you. Most reactions, minus eczema, will last from a few minutes to a few days depending on the severity of the allergy. Once eczema gets aggravated it would take us weeks sometimes to get our sons under control. Some of that depends on how widespread the eczema is. Our boy's went from his bottom all the way to his ankles on the back of his legs. Literally every inch of skin was affected on the back of his legs. He was literally a bloody mess if his got aggravated so we were really careful to avoid his allergens. That was fairly easy because his was food caused and not environmental. It was aggravated by cold but because it was on his legs and he wore pants the cold didn't affect his legs.

Eczema is a hard thing to conquer for sure. As I said earlier, aim to heal the gut and you'll successfully get rid of it for good. But that's a long process and requires diligence.

All the best.

Oh man that's horrible thanks for the advice and your scenarios you been through
  • I'm going cut out eggs to see if it's a trigger for me. How long should I wait to see if there is a difference in my eczema?
  • ronjsteele1
    You will need to go a minimum 30 days with no eggs (that means no products made with eggs either). At the end of 30 days, you would need to eat at least one egg per day for 3 days (this is called a three day challenge test). You'll know if you have a reaction to them by the 3rd day for sure. While you are egg free for 30 days, you will need to begin treating your eczema to start healing it so that when you do the challenge test you'll know if it's flaring or not in response to the eggs. If you don't have something that works for you in helping the eczema, then it may take as long as 2 weeks to start seeing the eczema lighten in color and dryness, etc. And it likely would not be gone by the end of 30 days if you're going to try and let it go away on its own (which I would recommend over using steroid creams if you can avoid it). But it should be improved enough for you to do a challenge test and know if eggs are an issue.

The big foods that are high allergens (in order of usual suspects): dairy, gluten, nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, egg plant, peppers), eggs, and from there they can go to anything. Those are the biggies that people will often try with an elimination diet to see if they are reacting with eczema (or anything other symptom for that matter). If you decide you want to test multiple items you have to make sure you only test one at a time for a full 30 days.
  • You will need to go a minimum 30 days with no eggs (that means no products made with eggs either). At the end of 30 days, you would need to eat at least one egg per day for 3 days (this is called a three day challenge test). You'll know if you have a reaction to them by the 3rd day for sure. While you are egg free for 30 days, you will need to begin treating your eczema to start healing it so that when you do the challenge test you'll know if it's flaring or not in response to the eggs. If you don't have something that works for you in helping the eczema, then it may take as long as 2 weeks to start seeing the eczema lighten in color and dryness, etc. And it likely would not be gone by the end of 30 days if you're going to try and let it go away on its own (which I would recommend over using steroid creams if you can avoid it). But it should be improved enough for you to do a challenge test and know if eggs are an issue.

The big foods that are high allergens (in order of usual suspects): dairy, gluten, nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, egg plant, peppers), eggs, and from there they can go to anything. Those are the biggies that people will often try with an elimination diet to see if they are reacting with eczema (or anything other symptom for that matter). If you decide you want to test multiple items you have to make sure you only test one at a time for a full 30 days.

What happens if multiple types of food triggers my eczema that I'm not aware of I was also thinking of cutting gluten will eczema lighten if one of the foods are taken out? The only dairy I eat is Eggs and Yogurt I'm slightly lactose intolerant and as far as I am aware I have no reaction to yogurt or eggs but I'm willing to cut eggs for 30 days. One thing I did notice is that 2-3 months after moving out of my mom's home my eczema returned after over a decade.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited February 2017
    ...I am considering cutting out gluten to see if it's a cause but I need to make sure I can replace those calories first

I'm gluten free for an autoimmune disorder. I'm confused by this statement, though. You need to make sure you can replace the gluten calories before you cut the gluten? This will not be an issue. You won't starve going gluten free. You simply stop eating foods with gluten in them. Replace wheat based products with rice (or quinoa, etc.), for example. Or just eat more of the foods you already eat that are naturally gluten free. There really is no shortage of calories on a gluten free diet. You can gain weight, maintain weight and/or lose weight on gluten free, just like any other way of eating. :)
  • jenilla1 wrote: »
    ...I am considering cutting out gluten to see if it's a cause but I need to make sure I can replace those calories first

I'm gluten free for an autoimmune disorder. I'm confused by this statement, though. You need to make sure you can replace the gluten calories before you cut the gluten? This will not be an issue. You won't starve going gluten free. You simply stop eating foods with gluten in them. Replace wheat based products with rice (or quinoa, etc.), for example. Or just eat more of the foods you already eat that are naturally gluten free. There really is no shortage of calories on a gluten free diet. You can gain weight, maintain weight and/or lose weight on gluten free, just like any other way of eating. :)

What I meant by my statement was replace the calories from the gluten products I.e the macros I eat gluten free grains like Quinoa Millet sorghum etc but I also eat gluten grains such as wheat Barley Farro etc and I change the grains all the time
  • ronjsteele1
    You will need to go a minimum 30 days with no eggs (that means no products made with eggs either). At the end of 30 days, you would need to eat at least one egg per day for 3 days (this is called a three day challenge test). You'll know if you have a reaction to them by the 3rd day for sure. While you are egg free for 30 days, you will need to begin treating your eczema to start healing it so that when you do the challenge test you'll know if it's flaring or not in response to the eggs. If you don't have something that works for you in helping the eczema, then it may take as long as 2 weeks to start seeing the eczema lighten in color and dryness, etc. And it likely would not be gone by the end of 30 days if you're going to try and let it go away on its own (which I would recommend over using steroid creams if you can avoid it). But it should be improved enough for you to do a challenge test and know if eggs are an issue.

What happens if multiple types of food triggers my eczema that I'm not aware of I was also thinking of cutting gluten will eczema lighten if one of the foods are taken out? The only dairy I eat is Eggs and Yogurt I'm slightly lactose intolerant and as far as I am aware I have no reaction to yogurt or eggs but I'm willing to cut eggs for 30 days. One thing I did notice is that 2-3 months after moving out of my mom's home my eczema returned after over a decade.

In general (this is truly a generality), if someone is allergic to one food, they typically are allergic to multiple foods. Honestly, cutting eggs is not where I think you should start. If you already know you have difficulties with dairy, then you need to cut dairy first. Eggs are not dairy. Dairy would be milk, yogurt, cheese, sour cream, and sometimes people can't even handle butter. Although my experience is that even those with severe dairy allergies can usually handle butter b/c it is fat vs. casein or whey (which is usually the part of dairy that most people are allergic to). If you have multiple food triggers for your eczema then it's possible you may not notice a huge change in it unless you remove all of them. We used a highly sensitive allergy test (ELISA 96 Food allergy panel) so we knew right away what all we needed to remove for our son and my husband. Otherwise, you'll just have to cut one thing at a time, the next month cut another thing (and the first month's item), etc. etc. At some point, if you remove the triggers for the eczema, it will go away. If I were to suggest which order to remove foods in order to test for reaction I would do dairy, gluten, nightshades, then eggs. In that order. Because those tend to be the biggest culprits for skin issues with food allergies.

Is there a food that you started eating when you moved away from home that you were not eating at home? That might be a clue as to what triggered the eczema. As for "replacing" gluten foods - there are tons of ways to do that. Another poster suggested quinoa and rice. Millet and teff are both options as well. In our house, we just didn't do anything with gluten and we didn't really "replace" it with anything. We mostly ate a meat, fruits, and veggies diet until we could have gluten again b/c at that time, the gluten replacement foods did not taste good! they've come a long way in 7yrs! Removing gluten will very often help people lose weight because they aren't eating as many calories without having glutenated breads in their diet and not replacing gluten foods with other foods (ie non-gluten breads, cookies, etc).
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    I used to suffer with eczma untill i did a pure protien diet and it completely cleared up. I have since added back all other foods and found that carbs and in particular pasta is my trigger.
  • You will need to go a minimum 30 days with no eggs (that means no products made with eggs either). At the end of 30 days, you would need to eat at least one egg per day for 3 days (this is called a three day challenge test). You'll know if you have a reaction to them by the 3rd day for sure. While you are egg free for 30 days, you will need to begin treating your eczema to start healing it so that when you do the challenge test you'll know if it's flaring or not in response to the eggs. If you don't have something that works for you in helping the eczema, then it may take as long as 2 weeks to start seeing the eczema lighten in color and dryness, etc. And it likely would not be gone by the end of 30 days if you're going to try and let it go away on its own (which I would recommend over using steroid creams if you can avoid it). But it should be improved enough for you to do a challenge test and know if eggs are an issue.

In general (this is truly a generality), if someone is allergic to one food, they typically are allergic to multiple foods. Honestly, cutting eggs is not where I think you should start. If you already know you have difficulties with dairy, then you need to cut dairy first. Eggs are not dairy. Dairy would be milk, yogurt, cheese, sour cream, and sometimes people can't even handle butter. Although my experience is that even those with severe dairy allergies can usually handle butter b/c it is fat vs. casein or whey (which is usually the part of dairy that most people are allergic to). If you have multiple food triggers for your eczema then it's possible you may not notice a huge change in it unless you remove all of them. We used a highly sensitive allergy test (ELISA 96 Food allergy panel) so we knew right away what all we needed to remove for our son and my husband. Otherwise, you'll just have to cut one thing at a time, the next month cut another thing (and the first month's item), etc. etc. At some point, if you remove the triggers for the eczema, it will go away. If I were to suggest which order to remove foods in order to test for reaction I would do dairy, gluten, nightshades, then eggs. In that order. Because those tend to be the biggest culprits for skin issues with food allergies.

Is there a food that you started eating when you moved away from home that you were not eating at home? That might be a clue as to what triggered the eczema. As for "replacing" gluten foods - there are tons of ways to do that. Another poster suggested quinoa and rice. Millet and teff are both options as well. In our house, we just didn't do anything with gluten and we didn't really "replace" it with anything. We mostly ate a meat, fruits, and veggies diet until we could have gluten again b/c at that time, the gluten replacement foods did not taste good! they've come a long way in 7yrs! Removing gluten will very often help people lose weight because they aren't eating as many calories without having glutenated breads in their diet and not replacing gluten foods with other foods (ie non-gluten breads, cookies, etc).

OK when I finish the yogurt I just bought I will cut out yogurt first would you recommend Probiotic supplements? The yogurt is my only source of probiotics. I know my middle brother has a problem with gluten and he can't really eat it.

As for the food I moved into a group home a year ago I'm don't recall the change although I know there's was a change but I know a trigger of mine environmental