Dog/puppy owners, I need advice!

Options

Replies

• ohsosweet26
    ohsosweet26 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Everyone has been really helpful. Thanks for all your advices! I ordered my pup a crate, which should arrive by Monday! I'm hoping that it won't be too late to crate train him.

@jenwil12 thanks so much for a such detailed advice! I really appreciate it!

@DavidRocketts the couple who sold him to me said that he had one shot (combination of parvo and distemper). I also take him out for walks frequently. I try to sneak in some exercise for him every time I try to get him to go potty to tire him out). I have an appointment with a vet in 9 days to update his shots and just have him checked up.

@JustSomeEm I'll definitely take into consideration your tip! Right now, I want him to associate the leash with "go outside", but if it will help greatly, then why the heck not?! Thanks!

@Gimsteinn your dogs are gorgeous! We weren't given much background about the puppy. Just that he was raised outside and never been housebroken. The couple (I doubt they're breeders. From what I gather, their dogs had puppies and just couldn't take care of all of them, hence the reason for selling the puppy) also only told us about what kind of food they've been feeding him (which, they said was basically everything. According to them, his last food that day we picked him up was frozen hamburger) and that he's been dewormed. As I have mentioned in my original post, he's my first puppy and in my excitement, completely didn't realize what I was getting myself into. But he's a well tempered dog and hasn't really chewed anything (YET. I don't want to jinx myself).

@LaurieNDogs how old do you think I should have him take obedience classes? I definitely want to do that but I'm unsure when is the best time for that.
  • Elliephantcrossing
    Elliephantcrossing Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    We always crate trained and taken our dogs out a few times throughout the day and night. We used the crate whenever the puppers got too excited, especially around outsiders. Overall, we always did #4.
  • Elliephantcrossing
    Elliephantcrossing Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Also, you have a border collie. They are GREAT DOGS, but you NEED to give them mental stimulation. They are super-smart, but you have to be smarter. Obedience school, toys that require intelligence, even dog parks with obstacle courses will keep them mentally sharp. They love to herd you and children, too. We fostered one for a spell, so just be prepared, otherwise they get bored and you'll have some unintended consequences.
  • VT4Me
    VT4Me Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The crate is a must-no matter how hard it is it makes a huge difference. I took my dog out often and said "go potty"- when he did I would PRAISE him. I also did a basic 6 week puppy class-I highly recommend as you'll get lots of good advice.
  • ohsosweet26
    Options
    @Elliephantcrossing & @VT4Me I enrolled him yesterday for a basic puppy class! I'm hoping to get him started sooner for the class but I need to see his vet first to get him all checked up and have his shots. I ran into another problem with him not wanting to walk on a leash outside. He was doing just fine the past couple days and I even got him to go potty outside, but today he just wouldn't budge. I'm at my wits end today trying to figure out why he doesn't want to walk outside
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Please post pictures of that pupper every day.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    My dogs are both crate trained and have not used the crate as a bathroom, with the exception of when one had kidney issues. When I was training them, they went outside every hour I was home and were rewarded with treats when they went potty. If they weren't in my direct sight, they were in their crate. As adults, they roam the house and the only accidents were due to the one with kidney issues. With lots of treats, I trained mine in the backyard, on walks, and at the local dog park....I didn't have the patience or money for puppy classes.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,369 Member
    Options
    jenwil999 gave great advice, I'm sorry, I didn't read everyone else, as I have to leave for a meeting. It takes time, be patient & consistent. They usually have to go after eating, evening & morning. We had a border collie & we were in Flyball together, it's a dog sport. Maybe you can look up a chapter in your area. I used to take her to a place where we could use the agility equiptment too. It was fun. They are very smart & energetic & need exercise as well as keeping their minds busy I used to teach Dinah all kinds of tricks, she loved it. Also they pick up on our feelings so don't get frustrated,
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    He is soooooo cute!!! What has worked for me with both my dogs. I crated both when house training. Dogs will not eliminate where they sleep. I took them outside immediately when they first wake, after playtime and about 15 mins after they eat. When they go outside make a big deal about it. I even gave mine a treat.

Remember they are babies be patient. It can be very overwhelming and very frustrating. But they are so worth it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    He's gorgeous, and I love that his little nose looks like a heart ❤ You've gotten so much good advice already I won't try to add to it. I'll just echo that 7 weeks is too young for pups to leave mom (shame on mama dog's owner!) Please take care to fully socialize him. Puppies are tons of work (I liken them to newborns) but if you train him right from the beginning you'll both be much happier
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @Elliephantcrossing & @VT4Me I enrolled him yesterday for a basic puppy class! I'm hoping to get him started sooner for the class but I need to see his vet first to get him all checked up and have his shots. I ran into another problem with him not wanting to walk on a leash outside. He was doing just fine the past couple days and I even got him to go potty outside, but today he just wouldn't budge. I'm at my wits end today trying to figure out why he doesn't want to walk outside

He has to get used to walking on a leash. Keep walking him he will get used to it eventually.
  • SarinaSyder
    SarinaSyder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are ready for all the responsibilities that a dog brings? If you are overwhelmed just by toilet training it doesn't sound good.
    Dogs taken from their mothers early are also more prone to issues when it comes to toilet training.
    Puppies will make a lot of mess and require patience and training to get them into a well behaved adult dog, they're just babies after all.
    How will you cope if something more serious is an issue, such as a major health problem?
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Adorable.
    1 can go either way. Many dogs won't potty where they sleep. I have had the unfortunate pleasure of dealing with vile disgusting types that cared less however.

2 Won't confuse him if he is taught what the pads are for. However he may have moments of confusion when you take him out to go potty as well. Eventually he will see the connection.

3 & 4 ... hourly is a bit excessive. If you are home anyways and don't mind the constant attached at the hip companionship.. leash him to you the entire time. If you cook, he is with you. Showering? With you (though outside the shower).. potty break for yourself? He gets to watch. Bed? Crate or doggy bed beside your bed. And if possible, take him wherever you go. Obviously this won't work everywhere, like to the store or doctors or work.. but you get the idea.. as much as humanly possible, he should never leave your side.

This will accomplish 2 things. 1.. you will know instantly when he's got to go cause he won't want to potty near mommy. He will whine and pull and circle. 2.. in 4-6 months he will NEVER run away from you. You will unintentionally train him to walk off leash and return at your command. He will think his place is at your side.

I did this with my collie husky mix. Her name was Nayeli (I love you in Native American).. she was so well trained she walked my kids to and from the bus stop.

• ohsosweet26
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi everyone! Thanks again for the great tips. My pup is now going potty outside! He still has accidents at home, which is something that I expect, but it is less than when I first got him. He also now has an established potty pad spot that he uses (I'm one proud mama!).

I am also putting him on the crate, and I think he's okay with it. I put his water bowl and feed him in there. He also goes in willingly but never stays long enough. I try not to force him to go inside. Yesterday though, I locked him in the crate and after he woke up, he started barking and whining. I did not open the crate door until he stopped barking (and even whining) for about 30 seconds and then I let him out. I'm hoping to increase the amount of time he spends in the crate (with doors locked) so at night I can just let him sleep in there and wake me up when he wants to go potty
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    He is adorable, and congrats on the progress. Border Collies are very smart, and they want to please their owners, which is helpful. They do need to be kept busy, especially when young. I have a red and white BC and she is the best dog ever. And I have two other dogs that help keep her amused. She does have a strong herding instinct, she tried to "herd" me to the biscuit box every chance she gets. ;)
  • cashidy
    cashidy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Try method 4, increasing the hours between taking him out. Also, feed him on a schedule twice a day and take the food and water away when he is done and take him out 10 minutes after. Put him in the crate when you are gone. Never leave him for more than 4 hours in a crate. Try leaving for 10 minutes or an hour with him in the house alone. The goal is for him to eventually be okay being in the house alone not in the crate without being destructive.
  • ohsosweet26
    Options
    @klkarlen oh boy do I know that herding instinct. Trying to nip it in the bud before it gets worse when he's grown. I sure as heck don't want a fully grown dog nipping at my ankles lol!

@cashidy today was the 2nd day in the locked crate and he did well at first. He only whined a little bit until he saw me. He started barking up a storm. I left and waited for him to stop and be quiet for a full 1 minute before letting him out. I think I overdid it because I put him back again and this time and he cried up a storm. He barked up a storm and it just kept on getting louder so I just let him out. I think I might have set myself back crate training wise (I hope not)
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    @klkarlen oh boy do I know that herding instinct. Trying to nip it in the bud before it gets worse when he's grown. I sure as heck don't want a fully grown dog nipping at my ankles lol!

LOL - mine is not an ankle biter, she grabs my pants at the back of my knee - and I stop and say to her "did you just put your teeth on me?" and she sits and gives me a sheepish grin as if to say "sorry Mom, my herding instincts got the better of me". And I tell her "No teeth!"

I have little success with crate training, my latest pack dog is a Jack Russell terrorist cross, who is about a year old. She has a problem with excitement peeing, so when I tried crating her, she would wet the crate while being excited that I got home. I leave her loose now with the other two dogs, and for the most part we don't have accidents, but today I came home to total carnage because the little demon jumped up on the dining room table, attacked and destroyed the house plant that was on the table, and then chewed up the plastic pot. There was dirt and plant parts and plastic everywhere.

Good luck, I'm sure you will master this!
  • jenwil1999
    jenwil1999 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    @cashidy today was the 2nd day in the locked crate and he did well at first. He only whined a little bit until he saw me. He started barking up a storm. I left and waited for him to stop and be quiet for a full 1 minute before letting him out. I think I overdid it because I put him back again and this time and he cried up a storm. He barked up a storm and it just kept on getting louder so I just let him out. I think I might have set myself back crate training wise (I hope not)

It's possible you may have set yourself back by responding to his fit, but it sounds like you're aware of it. So just be careful not to do it again. Your methods sound right though: waiting until he is quiet for letting him out.

It sounds like you're not locking him in at night. I would really recommend that. He will naturally sleep for a few hours. Then you should wake him up, take him to potty, then spend the time getting him back to sleep and locking the door. This way, he is not learning to make noise and call you because he has to go the bathroom, but he is learning to wait for you to take him out. But yes, it does mean that you have to set your alarm and get out of bed. Depending on how long he can hold his bladder, you might only need to do this once per night. It also helps if you have someone else in the house who goes to bed later than you or gets up earlier.

Overall, be encouraged! Sounds like you're doing everything right, even if you were a bit overwhelmed at the beginning. It takes time, but soon you'll have an amazing companion. Good luck!
  • blackcomaro
    blackcomaro Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Nice progress. Congratulations!