new from melbourne, aus

23alexRO
23alexRO Posts: 4
edited September 29 in Introduce Yourself
I had always had an educated idea of what i was eating, but vague in terms of serving sizes and the calories they had so this app was pretty amazing in that aspect. Being able to also see micronutrient consumption was really good too !
Im still learning how to use the app to its full potential .. (if i can somehow set projected calories and carbs/protein/fat for the day ?) but so far so good

can reciprocate advice, in last semester of biomed majoring in sports exercise and nutrition so feel free to ask anything you think would be up my alley !

Replies

• ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Welcome! You can adjust the default settings under the Goals tab from your My Home page. Tell it to set goals manually, and you can adjust your macronutrient ratios, calories, fiber, sodium, etc. Good luck!
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Hi and welcome. I'm originally from Australia but live in the UK now. This app is great and the people on here are very supportive. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun on here :bigsmile:
  • george_ie_girl
    george_ie_girl Posts: 120 Member
    I'm also from Melbourne! Don't really have any questions as I'm doing alright with this site - however I'm interested in what you'd have to say about dairy free and gluten free diets and the benefits?
  • 23alexRO
    23alexRO Posts: 4
    ^ Thanks for the tip !
    I'm also from Melbourne! Don't really have any questions as I'm doing alright with this site - however I'm interested in what you'd have to say about dairy free and gluten free diets and the benefits?

well you have to be a little skeptical about every diet that recommends an exclusion of a food group, but as far as dairy goes its an individual choice. Being able to properly digest dairy products is based on genetics - ie, lactose intolerant people cannot produce any/enough enzymes to break down lactose. The pros to dairy products are the micronutrient counterparts - mainly calcium and some probiotics.
    For some people, removing dairy has helped them in clearing their skin and to remedy a bloated stomach .. but again, case by case basis. Aged cheeses have an extremely high acidic load on the stomach when eaten .. and another thing to think about is that humans are the only animals who still drink milk after the breast feeding period !

As far as gluten free diets go (Voluntarily not eating gluten, versus, you CANNOT eat gluten due to being allergic) i would not recommend it, but wouldnt discourage you to trial it out of curiosity. It is just so widely used that you have to take great precaution and change the way in which you think about food and food preparation to cope with it.

hope that helps
  • Lol.. it's not rocket science people.

Eat less to lose weight,
    Eat more to gain weight.

No need for fancy "diet apps", or even going to the gym.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.