Shirataki noodle ideas?

demorelli
demorelli Posts: 508 Member
Does anyone use shirataki noodles and have some recipes they like? I want to try them but I'm wondering if their flavor would go well in normal pasta dishes or if I should try it other ways instead. I'm a big pasta eater but I tend to get carried away on my serving sizes so I'm wanting to try alternatives. I wanted to try zoodles but my fiancé isn't a fan of zucchini

Replies

• vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    I use a mandolin to 'noodle' daikon (Asian radish); English cucumbers, sweet potato, carrots and yes zucchini (you should try when you're not with your guy). Do it everyday - tons of recipes online. Just depends what sort of flavor profile you and your fiance like.

I too use Shirataki noodles. There is also Kelp noodles too. Seems you either love em or hate them! You will find they smell a bit 'fishy' in the package, but just rinse them thoroughly and it goes away. I guess you'll just have to 'bite the bullet...noodle' and find out. I must say I can't consume a big bowl of them, as they make me a little bloated.

Considering you love your pasta you might think these alternatives suck. However, what I think is a great idea is to have have regular pasta and half veggie noodles. I know a lot of people enjoy this much better that love their pasta.

Happy experimenting:)
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    I like it in both asian inspired stir fry dishes, and I like the shirataki macaroni with a laughing cow cheese sauce and meat. Tomato sauce tastes find with them but it doesn't really stick well. Kinda soupy with them.
  • darkenergie
    darkenergie Posts: 27 Member
    I use shirataki to sub in pretty much any noodle & pasta dishes. Spaghetti and sauce, miso noodle soup, pad Thai . Anything really.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    I just used them in a spicy peanut stirfry and they worked well.

2 tbsp, Oil - Vegetable, canola
    2 medium, Scallion
    2 clove, Garlic Clove, Smashed
    1 tsp, Ginger root - Raw
    2 teaspoon, Sugar
    8 Tbsp (32g), Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter
    3 tablespoon, Soy Sauce
    1 tblsp, Rice Vinegar

0.50 tsp, Ground Fresh Chili Paste
    0.33 cup(s), Hot Water
    1 Medium, Onion Red Raw
    1 Whole (119 g), Red
    0.12 cup, Chopped Cilantro
    0.50 oz. 1/4 cup), Roasted & Unsalted Peanuts
    2 tbsp, Toasted Sesame Oil
    792 g, Shirataki Noodles

Prepare the noodles by draining, dropping in boiling water for 1-2 minutes and draining, and drying in a skillet on medium-high heat for a couple of minutes. Toss with Toasted Sesame Oil.

Heat 1 tbsp canola oil over medium. Add scallion, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring 1 minutes. Add sugar, peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili paste, and hot water. Stir until sugar dissolves and mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Add more hot water if you want it thinner.

Heat remaining 1 tbsp canola oil over medium in large skillet. Add red onion and pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add noodles and sauce and toss to coat. Serve sprinkled with cilantro and peanuts.

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 4.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 382*
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 28 g 43 %
    Saturated Fat 3 g 14 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 925 mg 39 %
    Potassium 168 mg 5 %
    Total Carbohydrate 26 g 9 %
    Dietary Fiber 10 g 39 %
    Sugars 10 g
    Protein 12 g 24 %
    Vitamin A 4 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 4 %
    Iron 7 %

For comparison, the original recipe was over 800 calories per serving. I was initially going to make it serve 6 instead of 4, but using the shiratakis made me change my mind. Also, because the noodles aren't as sticky, I didn't use the THREE tablespoons of toasted sesame oil the recipe called for.

• estherdragonbat
    Huh. I just tried answering and was told my post will go up as soon as it will be approved.
  • estherdragonbat
    Ok, let's try again:

Noodles with Spicy Peanut Sauce

2 tbsp, Oil - Vegetable, canola
    2 medium, Scallion
    2 clove, Garlic Clove, Smashed
    1 tsp, Ginger root - Raw
    2 teaspoon, Sugar
    8 Tbsp (32g), Reduced Fat Creamy Peanut Butter
    3 tablespoon, Soy Sauce
    1 tblsp, Rice Vinegar
    0.50 tsp, Ground Fresh Chili Paste
    0.33 cup(s), Hot Water
    1 Medium, Onion Red Raw
    1 Whole (119 g), Red Bell Pepper
    0.12 cup, Chopped Cilantro
    0.50 oz. 1/4 cup), Roasted & Unsalted Peanuts
    2 tbsp, Toasted Sesame Oil
    792 g, Shirataki Noodles

Prepare Shirataki noodles as directed (drain, boil 1-2 minutes, drain, and place in skillet on medium-high heat to dry.) Toss with sesame oil and set aside.

Saute scallion, garlic, and ginger in half the canola oil on medium. Add sugar, peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili paste and hot water. Stir until sauce is smooth and sugar dissolves. Set aside. You can thin with more hot water if necessary.

Saute red onion and pepper in remaining canola oil in large skillet until soft, about 5 mins. Add noodles and sauce and toss to combine. Serve topped with peanuts and cilantro.

The original recipe called for 1 1lb of rice sticks or linguine and 3 tbsp sesame oil and would have topped out at over 800 calories (I recalculated for 6 servings instead of 4 around the 780 mark, before I decided to try shiratakis). The noodles aren't as sticky as regular pasta, so I took the sesame oil down to 2 tbsp.

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 4.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 382
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 28 g 43 %
    Saturated Fat 3 g 14 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 925 mg 39 %
    Potassium 168 mg 5 %
    Total Carbohydrate 26 g 9 %
    Dietary Fiber 10 g 39 %
    Sugars 10 g
    Protein 12 g 24 %
    Vitamin A 4 %
    Vitamin C 50 %
    Calcium 4 %
    Iron 7 %
  • boothekm1
    boothekm1 Posts: 60 Member
    After rinsing really well, I cook them in a pan with a little chicken broth. Then I mix chicken seasoning and chicken bouillon together and put over them. Tastes like the chicken ramen noodles!
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Alright thanks for the tips
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »
    They work best in any Asian recipe that calls for rice noodles. Do not use them in Italian pasta dishes. Just not right.

Agreed. I was thinking I will make some shrimp salad rolls using half Vermicelli noodles and half Shiataki. The reason why I wouldn't use the entire roll with Shirataki is because I do find that if I eat a large amount, they really make my tummy bloated!
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    I made some pasta alla oglio with them that came out really good. Easy to make and my kids loved it.

Here's how you do it:
    - Rinse and boil the noodles per the instructions, drain them.
    - Finely mince half a dozen cloves of garlic and sauté in olive oil--a lot of olive oil, maybe 1/3 to 1/2 cup--over medium to medium high heat until golden brown. Be careful, as it goes from not quite done to golden to burnt and bitter very quickly. When the garlic is nearly done, add some red pepper flakes, if you like them.
    - When the garlic is done, add the noodles and toss with the garlic and oil.
    - Sprinkle with salt and serve
  • Wadeeee
    Wadeeee Posts: 70 Member
    I actually like shirataki noodles in Italian dishes. I use the spaghetti-style noodles and add ground beef, tomato sauce and parmesan (and an assortment of spices). I also use the fettuccine-style noodles and add Alfredo cream sauce with a bit of basil pesto mixed in. Both are delish and typically 350 calories or less for a whole plate of pasta.
  • ralfie72
    ralfie72 Posts: 6 Member
    Put them in the trash