How to combat fatigue

Options
jdier
jdier Posts: 110 Member
Anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of fatigue (other than caffeine :wink: )? I am tired when I wake up in the morning (I get at least 7 hrs. of sleep). On those days that I don't feel rested, what can I do to feel better so I can get my workouts in? Thanks, everybody!

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    For me to wake up, I do 3 sets of 10 pulls ups, push ups and jumping jacks. It's been known that excersise wakes you up. You just have to push yourself. Good luck!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Change your eating habits, have a breakfast rich in carbohydrates, that should boost your energy levels. Make sure you eat well for breakfast.
  • drewjorgensen
    drewjorgensen Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I suggest taking a look at your diet to make sure that you are getting enough protein throughout the day. You might want to divide it up between meals and snacks. Also, are you taking vitamins? A 15 minute nap in mid afternoon or meditation is never a bad thing either.
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Nothing wakes me up more than a morning workout! :) The hardest part is getting out the door. You may just need to get your body used to a consistent schedule. But if you feel like it's extreme fatigue, you should see your doctor.
  • allison_joan
    allison_joan Posts: 115
    Options
    I know this feeling :( Unfortunately I don't have an answer not including caffeine. I have a 19 month old so after going to school for 5 hours and taking care of him the rest of the day I am always tired! Oh and did I mention he's going through a phase where he wants to sleep in my bed so I can't sleep? I usually have to have coffee, a 0 calorie energy drink, or a nap at some point. Sorry I don't have a better answer but I'm looking forward to see what others post. Good luck!
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Vitamin B complex, iron and ginseng.

Oh and eat less sugar. I haven't checked your diary, but I know that when I eat too much sugar I get a sugar hangover the next day. I get high highs and lowwwww lows from sugar.

Hope that helps some!
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said. It's hard to push yourself to exercise when you're sleepy but it works. I had a trainer once tell me this about nutrition: eat like a king for breakfast (biggest meal of the day), a princess for lunch, and a pauper for dinner.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Nothing wakes me up more than a morning workout! :) The hardest part is getting out the door. You may just need to get your body used to a consistent schedule. But if you feel like it's extreme fatigue, you should see your doctor.

All of that too! I'm much more alert if I go to the gym before work!
  • shannieboo
    shannieboo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I would suggest B12. My DR put me on the B12 liquid drops twice a day, in the morning and around 2pm. She put me on them not only for energy but B12 also is good for your metabolism. I feel fantasic since I started. I didnt feel it right away. but after a few days I could see a big difference.

Also she advised you do not have to worry about taking too much, if your have too much you will just have P more :)
  • jdier
    Options
    I do take Vitamin B12 and have noticed a bit of a difference. I really need to take a multi-vitamin though! Thanks for the reminder! Could be that I need more Iron.
  • Mkleder
    Mkleder Posts: 289
    Options
    Vitamin B complex, iron and ginseng.

Oh and eat less sugar. I haven't checked your diary, but I know that when I eat too much sugar I get a sugar hangover the next day. I get high highs and lowwwww lows from sugar.

Hope that helps some!

I can vouch for the sugar hangover. That's the hardest part of "cheat" meals -- I can work off the calories, but the groggy part just hangs on and on. Avoid foods with high sugar content after 8 p.m. -- that doesn't just mean sweats, but a host of normally good things that sneak in the sugar grams -- try to move those further away from bedtime.

Also, I have been taking an all round vitamin regimine but recently started adding a 5000 IU boost of B-12 to get past my slow motion mornings. Once the fog clears and I get moving I'm fine
  • Mommawarrior
    Mommawarrior Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Iron will play a BIG role in fatigue. I would find a multivitamin with a high iron content, or just take iron. (Be careful, you can overdose on iron and it will constipate ya if you aren't drinking a ton of water.)
    Your diary isn't viewable but that could tell us a lot too if you opened it for us. Personally, I can not eat too many carbs and I can not eat carbs that are not whole carbs or I feel horrible. You may try cutting out white flour, white pasta, white rice, white bread, refined sugars etc and try eating only whole carbs. 100% whole wheat or whole grain carbs.
    Hope you start to feel better.
  • jdier
    Options
    I do not eat enough leafy greens, so that may be why my iron is low. I do eat whole wheat, whole grains,etc. and no enriched flour (except for the occasional cookie). I've been tired like this for years, so I suspect iron. Thanks!