Too nerdy for my own good!!! Lol

Options
So my biggest issue is that I love to game, love reading and watching anime... So much so, sometimes I forget how beautiful it is outside!!! I forget to just get out and move!!! Yes I am a nerd and proud of it!!! But I think it's time for me to reach that goal I've been dreaming about for the past two years! I've got 40lbs to lose and if you are needing support or a friend, then I've got your back!! Feel free to add me!!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Being nerdy isn't your issue. While it's good that you want to start doing more physical activity, it's not necessary for weight loss. Weight gain/loss/maintenance is based on calories in/calories out. So if you gained weight, it's because you ate more than you burned. Reduce your calorie intake under your TDEE and you'll lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • CaraLeighPanda
    CaraLeighPanda Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am also a fellow nerd. I've just recently started on mfp again and I'm losing steady. I'll add you as we have things in common and about the same goal! Also anyone reading this is free to add me. I thought it was time to get more support :)
  • Fracicciopes
    Fracicciopes Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    For example, you could put podcasts on phone memory and going running/walking at park.
    Also I put anime/tv series episodes on computer while i do exercises (abs, pushups, curls etc etc) at home.
    :)
  • mgmalek
    mgmalek Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Being nerdy isn't your issue. While it's good that you want to start doing more physical activity, it's not necessary for weight loss. Weight gain/loss/maintenance is based on calories in/calories out. So if you gained weight, it's because you ate more than you burned. Reduce your calorie intake under your TDEE and you'll lose weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Yes, definitely agree with you. However, when you begin exercising, it's much easier to stay below your Calorie goal. For a start, the calories you burn mean you can eat more but the biggest one is that after a week or two of regular exercise, it starts acting as an appetite suppressant. I definitely eat more when I'm being lazy than when I'm working out a lot.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Pokémon Go has your name written all over it. :)
  • younique80s
    younique80s Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm a gamer, too. That was one of my issues. Lol. Didn't want to get off my laptop and exercise, and I love food. ;) I finally just decided to do it. I do Pilates for 30-60 min in the morning and eat healthier. I still have my game time. Feel free to add me.
  • Soulfood77
    Soulfood77 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Go check out the Challenges forums. I am currently in a Hogwarts challenge- and it doesn't get much nerdier than Harry Potter. There are lots of challenges there run by other members. Sometimes you just have to wait a few weeks for one to pop up! They're a good way to embrace your inner nerd while achieving some fitness goals.
  • Canehdn
    Canehdn Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I feel ya. I play way too much Diablo 3, on the weekends. Challenges are definitely a good solution. I also find working out before I start my playing helps.
  • ASAPStocky
    ASAPStocky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Funny nerding out is what keeps me distracted. Binging tv or gaming with a healthy snack probably does me better than just being out and about aimlessly. My issues arose because I would force myself to go out and get air and then end up getting food because it's an easy thing to do when you're out alone.
  • bequita84
    bequita84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Greetings and Salutations, Fellow Nerd! Hopefully we can turn our interests into sources of motivation for fitness. I'm using cosplay goals to try to get me to be more active and shed the pudge. :)
  • yusufrouichi
    yusufrouichi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi
  • Mxley
    Mxley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel ya...manga, anime and gaming are some of my main reasons for not exercising or eating quite healthy (Cheetos, anyone?)...however, now that I'm out of school and have spare time, I'm getting myself on track! Add me if you wish-!
  • khunjit_js
    khunjit_js Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Me too! I use Pokemon Go, Just Dance and Zumba xbox games, and shopping (well, I get the highest steps in when I shop!).
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Fanfic-writing, Comic-book-reading, OUAT-watching geek representing! Always happy to have new friends!