HIIT and HRM

Options
yanicka
yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
I am doing HIIT on the treadmill and I have a question for those who use HIIT with a HRM.

I will do HIIT for 20 minutes, run one minute and walk one minute. After 20 minutes I feel like puking so I am really giving all I have. If I use MFP exercice data, in 20 minutes I should have burned 161 calories and I am wondering if, when you do HIIT, the calorie burned is similar or really different from what MFP give you.

Replies

• candacecollins
    Options
    what do u log ur speed as?

When i go on my walk/run, i ususally end up doing running half and walking half, so i log as 3.5.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I walk at 3.0 and run at 7.0
  • AngelsKisses75
    AngelsKisses75 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    For me personally, since purchasing my HRM, I have found the system calculations to be way off. MY HRM shows a greater burn. Specially with HIIT. If you don't have a HRM maybe check your pulse when you hit a walking phase and see what you find out? :flowerforyou:
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    If I didn't have a HRM, I would have a hard time calculating HIIT. Actually I don't even see HIIT in the exercise database. Did you create one for your own workouts?

Anyway, my hrm always says I burn more calories than what mfp says. For example, this morning I did 20 minutes of HIIT on a stationary bike (30 seconds full speed, 1 minute slow). My hrm told me that I burned 288 calories. If I were to log 20 min of "bicycling 10-12 mph" then mfp estimates that I would burn 224 calories. I had to log 26 minutes worth of "bicycling 10-12 mph" to reflect the real burn.

That being said, I am an obese man so it makes sense that my calorie burns are higher than mfp estimates. Given your size, your calorie burns might actually be less than what mfp says. The only way to get more accurate numbers is to buy a hrm.
  • candacecollins
    Options
    personally i would log 5-6 mph, and call it good, even if u are burning more that it tells you at least you arent going over ur daily allowance because of it... hope this helps. this is what i do and it has worked for me. :)