Fruit CARBS vs SUGAR

Options
Can I go over in sugar due to eating fruit but make sure I don't go over on my carbs and still reach my goal? I am not diabetic etc... have no family history of it and only needing to lose 5 pounds so I am not currently way overweight.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    So don't worry about sugar. Maintain a reasonable calorie deficit and you will lose. If it's only a small amount to lose then aim for a goal of 0.5 pounds per week.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As long as you're within your calorie goal you'll be fine, even if you do go over your carbs. Personally I chose to track fiber instead of sugar.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    As long as you're within your calorie goal you'll be fine, even if you do go over your carbs. Personally I chose to track fiber instead of sugar.

^^This. I track carbs, so there's no need for me to track sugar separately. I also switched it for fibre. :)
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

^^This. I track carbs, so there's no need for me to track sugar separately. I also switched it for fibre. :)

Same. I also switched my sodium tracking to iron.
  • FreyasRebirth
    FreyasRebirth Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard, it is best to limit your added sugar to less than 10% of total calories. Whole fruit is not considered added. Syrups, honey, table sugar, ect is the stuff to watch out for. I believe it is the 2017(?) food labels that will start requiring added sugars to be listed separately.
  • stylzemail
    stylzemail Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You can have sugar the cells use it for energy, it's when it's too much carbs the body turns it into glycogen and stores excess as fat cells.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    No matter what, it's only when you're in a caloric surplus that you'll gain fat, and only in a caloric deficit will you lose fat. Reducing carbs can help some people if they are prone to overeating carbs, or if they have certain medical problems, but for someone close to a normal weight with no health issues, carbs are neither better nor worse than other types of macronutrients. Track them if you want, but it's not necessary to do so.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    You could eat all of your calories directly from the sugar bowl and, if you keep the deficit, you would lose weight. Not that I would suggest it, of course, but sugar, added sugar, fruit sugar, do not affect weight loss. Calories count.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Sugar comes from plants.

I never pay any attention to my sugar levels. I'd delete that metric if I had time to work out how.

I did delete the water metric. That was really pissing me off. :smiley:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    stylzemail wrote: »
    You can have sugar the cells use it for energy, it's when it's too much carbs the body turns it into glycogen and stores excess as fat cells.

Wrong answer. You can eat 100% carbs, be in a deficit but not gain fat.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    If you're truly concerned about sugar, the source is irrelevant. Sugary fruit is sugary, just as sugary cookies are sugary. (though in my experience, an apple will pack a greater sugar punch than a cookie, but I digress)

If you are truly concerned about sugar, you do not have to eliminate fruit, there are plenty of low sugar fruits to choose from. like tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, berries, and squash.

• ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't pay any attention to sugar. I look at my carb total, but usually more out of curiosity than trying to stay over/under a certain number. I mostly focus on protein because I sometimes having trouble getting enough, and try to stay under a certain amount of fat - I only lower fat because I have some medical issues that are worsened if I eat too much fat, if I didn't I wouldn't care about it as much. :) Fruit is awesome - I have some with almost every meal :)