Bodybuilding on Macros: Cutting

Options
Hey,
Age: 21; 212 lbs body weight; probably around 15%-17% body fat.
Cutting on 160 Pro; 220 Carb, 75 Fat.

Body weight loss has been minimal thus far, only up to about 4 pounds over the last month.
Any thoughts or suggestions? I feel good and my lifts are going well, but I feel as if these numbers are extremely low for a person my age and body size.
Thanks,
Jordan

Replies

• bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    JBAG13 wrote: »
    Hey,

Body weight loss has been minimal thus far, only up to about 4 pounds over the last month.
    Any thoughts or suggestions? I feel good and my lifts are going well, but I feel as if these numbers are extremely low for a person my age and body size.
    Thanks,
    Jordan

4lbs over the last month is on average a pound a week... what exactly is your issue? your macros?
  • JBAG13
    JBAG13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Macros are stated above.
    Just trying to lose about 2lbs/week - MAX. Trying to get own to around 195 lbs body weight and if so, continue to around 8% BF. I started at 225 lbs in November and progress has been good so far, but seems to be sticking.
    Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jordan
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    If you feel good and your lifts are going well, then up your cardio and/or drop cals to lose weight faster. There is no magic. You can increase your protein ratio since it is a thermogenic, but that is just another way to increase CO.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Macros are stated above.
    Just trying to lose about 2lbs/week - MAX. Trying to get own to around 195 lbs body weight and if so, continue to around 8% BF. I started at 225 lbs in November and progress has been good so far, but seems to be sticking.
    Thoughts?

Thanks,
    Jordan

2lbs/week is a bit aggressive given the amount of weight you are trying to lose... I would agree with @richln re: upping cardio or dropping calories, but personally wouldn't mess with the calories if you are feeling good and having good lifts until absolutely necessary.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, there are quite a few days that are not completed, which could suggest you have eaten more than you think because you aren't logging everything. (This could also be because you are eating the same meals so you know where your macros are at and don't want to log repetitively, in which case I understand, but had to throw it out there for clarification.)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    When you're under 15% as a male, fat loss is slower. Aiming for more than 1lb a week isn't the smartest thing. Be patient! It'll likely take you 4-6 months to get sub 10%
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I think aiming for anywhere between .5 to 1.5% change in BW/week is going to be fine. 2lbs/week should be reasonable provided that you're able to adhere to your diet AND you are able to meet protein requirements AND you are able to perform well in the gym.

As you get to the end stages of the diet you may need to slow that down especially if you're nearing a legit 8%. If you're closer to the 15% mark losing faster is not a bad idea given the previous conditions are met.

I'd look at logging accuracy first given prior comments in this thread -- if you are leaving days incomplete or partially logged then your logging accuracy is suspect. I'd address this first.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    When you're under 15% as a male, fat loss is slower. Aiming for more than 1lb a week isn't the smartest thing. Be patient! It'll likely take you 4-6 months to get sub 10%

my thoughts as well ..
  • giovanna8830
    giovanna8830 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I personally believe that there are to many fat 75g = 675 cal. Only from fat :)
  • ducep1
    ducep1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Too little protein for muscle retention while cutting, try 1.1g per lbs of body weight, fat can be in little lower too. Also loosing 2 lbs per week is too much, I suggest half of that.

• JBAG13
    JBAG13 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, very insightful posts!
    And to address the logging accuracy problem, I never really put in the energy to completing the entry, I typically just log everything I eat throughout the day, try and hit the numbers and then just go straight to bed, never really considering to "complete the entry for the day". I think I'm going to increase my cardio slightly 1 more day a week and see how the respective losses work for the next few weeks. I'm also going to bring up my protein numbers by about 20 grams or so. Any other comments, suggestions or recommendations/ideas?
    P.S: Been on MFP for 3+ years and never bothered to get involved in the community, feel free to add me.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Upping protein is a good idea. I have to be careful with cardio when cutting, makes me hungry.
  • trigden1991
    Options
    Thanks guys, very insightful posts!
    And to address the logging accuracy problem, I never really put in the energy to completing the entry, I typically just log everything I eat throughout the day, try and hit the numbers and then just go straight to bed, never really considering to "complete the entry for the day". I think I'm going to increase my cardio slightly 1 more day a week and see how the respective losses work for the next few weeks. I'm also going to bring up my protein numbers by about 20 grams or so. Any other comments, suggestions or recommendations/ideas?
    P.S: Been on MFP for 3+ years and never bothered to get involved in the community, feel free to add me.

If you're going to up protein by 20g then you're going to add 80 calories to your daily total. That is not going to help you lose more weight.
  • Full0fWin
    Full0fWin Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    160 pro is fine. I cut on about the same. Actually I bulk on about the same too.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    A real 8% body fat is very very difficult to achieve naturally, while maintaining muscle mass. Usually people underestimate their body fats, and the scales are certainly not accurate.
    And honestly, I wouldn't set such a high target for weight-loss unless you're prepping for a competition or something, you will have a lot of muscle loss too. I would shoot for 1 lb max a week. It takes much longer to grow those muscles back :smile:
  • trigden1991
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    A real 8% body fat is very very difficult to achieve naturally, while maintaining muscle mass. Usually people underestimate their body fats, and the scales are certainly not accurate.
    And honestly, I wouldn't set such a high target for weight-loss unless you're prepping for a competition or something, you will have a lot of muscle loss too. I would shoot for 1 lb max a week. It takes much longer to grow those muscles back :smile:

It's harder but not impossible. Going from 12-8% is infinitely hard than going from 20-12%