Getting so discouraged :(

Options
j99li
j99li Posts: 421 Member
There might be something wrong with the scale cuz it doesnt always bounce back directly to 0. So when its slightly above 0, it shows that i have gained 5lbs (how does that even work). I weigh myself every morning and the scale always, ALWAYS gives me 4 different numbers! Thats so discouraging. Also, I last weighed in in Friday and I havent seen any change since then :( Im not sure if it's cuz Im not eating enough or Im not exercising enough...or something :(:(

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    A scale shouldn't work like that. I would say it's broken.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are standing on it in the same way/position, and place in the house. You could always cross reference with measurements as well.
  • Amo_Angelus
    Amo_Angelus Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    get a new scale, they only last so long and the moving ones are notoriously unreliable, digital scales are better.
  • trapitt
    trapitt Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Don't let a set of crappy scales be your measure of success or failure. Eating well and exercizing provides benefits way beyond what number comes up on your scales. A long healthy life, a strong immune system, increased strength and engergy are all biproducts of eating well and being active.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I think it's time for a new scale!
  • Sj20fame
    Sj20fame Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I say get a digital scale, one that shows you the numbers as 150.5, it's so much more accurate! Good luck!
  • burton_mel
    Options
    Your scale doesn't sound like it's calibrated properly. It should always sit at zero when there is nothing on it. I would get something that you know the actual weight of and weigh it, and see what the scale reads. Also if the scale is pointing to just above zero before you get on it, it will give you a higher reading. You can calibrate the scale yourself, there should be a knob on the side you can turn to make sure the pointer is directly at zero. My kids play with mine all the time, to so I have to calibrate it regularly. If that doesn't work, then I think it's time for a new scale! :-) Hope that helps.
  • megan4487
    megan4487 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree, it dosent sound like the scale is working right. I would suggest getting a new scale and then go from there. Dont get discouraged, you made the first step by being on the website, you can do it!! Hang in there, let me know if I can help in any way
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Yep, new scale time. Also, don't weigh yourself but once a week. At least do not record, or take to heart, more than once per week. Daily water fluctuations cause you to go up and down throughout the week.
  • garytruelock
    garytruelock Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get discouraged. It sounds like a technical issue with your scale. You may need to just get a new one. You can get one for as little as $8 at Target. You can get a good electronic one for about $30. Thats what I paid for mine and it is accurate. I have tested it against items with a known weight and it is exactly right. I don't know what your budget it, but if you really want an accurate scale, I would say get a new one.
  • jenniferreid84
    jenniferreid84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A nice new scale should fix it! Also you shouldn't be weighing yourself everyday, you will drive yourself crazy. Weigh yourself once a week at the same time, same scale each time :)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I agree with others...get a new scale. I also started MFP with a scale that allowed me to "lose" or "gain" 5 pounds in about 30 seconds. Every reading would be different. I pitched it and bought a new digital scale. Much better results!
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I just ordered my new Taylor Model 7506 Glass Electronic from Walmart for $23 and free shipping. It is digital and recommended by some people on here. It got great reviews and it is reasonably priced. My old one was bad too. It was a dial on ethat if I moved on the scale the weight would change. I only weigh myself once a week though.