Was fit, got fat, heart attack, diabetes, heading back to fit!

Options
I was 39 years old and in the shape of my life! I had a six pack and could run six miles in less than an hour.

Then I met a girl...

Suddenly I didn't have time for the gym anymore and it didn't matter, because I was happy.

The weight creeped up gradually at first, but I always thought I could handle it. "I can lose the weight", I thought. I had done it before.

Over 7 years I had gained over 90 lbs.

I was actually losing weight when the heart attack happened (May 15, 2015) just months before my 45th birthday. It was a 99% blockage of one of my arteries. They told me that if I wasn't already at the hospital when it happened, I wouldn't have made it.

After they put the stent in I felt like a kid again! Then I started the heart medications...

Suddenly I felt like I was walking through knee deep mud every day. The pills which helped protect my heart while I recovered also slowed me to a standstill.

Eventually I was released from some of those medications (although some I will be on for life) and now I feel closer to normal, but the time I was on them really knocked the wind from my sails.

Just two months ago I found out I have type 2 diabetes. It sounds terrible, but it just might be the thing that saves my life.

You see, it has always been hard to rationalize not having an ice cream now in the hopes that I would lose weight and one day be happy.

Rationalizing that same ice cream could lead to blindness or loss of limb makes skipping it and all other treats so much easier.

You know what? Eventually that apple tastes so much sweeter once the sugars are gone.

I've met with a diabetic dietitian and now have a meal plan that I follow which is tasty, filling, and most importantly of all (for me at least) easy!

Well hey! If you have made it all the way here, add me as a friend. I will do my best to support you as we all reach for health and happiness!

Cheers,

- Bill

Replies

• Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Need to be ever vigilant to keep that weight off. I too am dealing with borderline diabetes, and instead of losing weight it seems to be gradually coming back.....Time to refocus!
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    Excellent! You sound like you're in the right place mentally for the changes to stick.
  • MadDogParty
    MadDogParty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've gone from eating out 50% of the time to making and eating real food almost exclusively. I agree also if you put a little planning/thought into it you can make some quick easy good for you meals. I've been lucky to (so far) miss the diabetes and heart disease bullet even with a sedetary obese lifestyle. So far 34 pounds down and hoping to head it all off. Let's keep going.