Weight loss/muscle gain

Options
I started the program 2 weeks ago & have religiously kept within my calorie count. I am exercising 4 times per week. I initially saw a drop of 4 kilos and now, even though nothing has changed I have increased by just over half a kilo. Am I losing fat, but putting on muscle because of my exercise regime?

Replies

• KJslp
    KJslp Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes, how does your clothing feel? Did you take measurements, not just weight? Just keep with it.

Kay
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I think the same thing is happening to me. My clothing feels looser, but the scale hasn't moved too much, yet I'm doing some form or exercise every day. Is there a threshold where I'll start losing the weight and still gain muscle?
  • MzMiller1215
    MzMiller1215 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I think the same thing is happening to me. My clothing feels looser, but the scale hasn't moved too much, yet I'm doing some form or exercise every day. Is there a threshold where I'll start losing the weight and still gain muscle?

Yes, you will begin to lose weight after gaining muscle. I have found that I've lost inches quicker than I've lost weight since I'm doing weights 2 to 3 days a week.
  • megandurden
    megandurden Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My apologies to the ones that took my "silly" comment literally.
  • ilaurya
    ilaurya Posts: 9
    Options
    I wish I could find it again, but there was an amazing post on the internet by a girl who decided to only track measurements and focus on fitness, and she showed herself in the same clothes at a fitness-minded 170 vs. just a weight-loss-focused 150-something, and not only did the same clothes fit, but she looked wayyyy better in them at the muscular 170, even though she had not lost a single pound from when she started. If you're choosing to focus on fitness, I'd do what she did; she clearly lost inches, even though the scale said her efforts were all in vain.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Two weeks is not enough time to start putting on a significant (measureable) amount of muscle weight, but the first plateau after initial an initial big loss usually crops up about then. Weight can fluctuate a lot as it decreases so look at it from a long term basis of loss. It depends on the type of excercises you are doing, but you will usually not see weight gain from muscle growth for quite a long time IMHO.
  • voluptas63
    voluptas63 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! Muscle weights more than fat! Keep it up... :)

Muscle absolutely does NOT weigh more than fat. That's just a silly comment. A pound of muscle is equal to a pound of fat. A pound of feathers is equal to a pound of lead. BUT if you look at your piles, you're going to have MORE feathers to equal the pound of lead. Muscle is denser than fat, allowing more muscle to fit in the space where fat resided. Muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle is denser than fat or has less volume than fat.

And it takes far more than 2wks to gain a substantial muscle weight. Most likely what the "gain" is is the water retained in the muscles to repair them after working out.