How do I measure out my homemade chili by weight and not serving size?

Options
daves05
daves05 Posts: 23 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So I made some homemade chili I entered all the ingredients in the recipe section but I don't know how many servings is actually in there how can I figured this out by weight and not serving size?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I usually do the weight of all the ingredients added together as the serving size, and then when it's done, the weight of what goes in the bowl is my serving size. So if my chili weighs 1400 grams, that's what I put in as the serving for the recipe.
  • daves05
    Options
    That sounds like a pain in the butt it was easy when I made meatloaf because I could just slice the slices into 10 servings
  • daves05
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I've also ate some of the chili already but next time I will try to weigh it out first. Thanks
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    Options
    Pain in the butt to weigh before and afters but there you go! I usually use a placeholder (say 10 portions) when I first save the recipe. Then I go back and edit the portions according to weight. I sometimes use 10 or 100g portions instead of 1g one's as the mood strikes.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I just enter all the ingredients and have a serving be 1/4 of the whole if I make enough to serve four people. i.e. 1/4 onion, 4 oz. beef, 1 c. tomatoes, etc.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Sounds like some of you will be in the market for a higher capacity scale :bigsmile:
  • youdontknowwhatyousaw
    Options
    I do this, too. I just bought a higher capacity scale. I use to measure how much I put on each plate/bowl and what went in the leftover containers and then just added them all together; so I didn't have to dirty an extra dish finding total weight.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Sounds like some of you will be in the market for a higher capacity scale :bigsmile:

Here's the issue: MOST (affordable) 0.5g sensitive scales TOP at 1kg; MOST (affordable) 1g sensitive scales TOP at 2-4kg. To go above 4kg, most of the (affordable) scales I've seen become 5g sensitive.

When I cook a big pot it is often more than 4kg. When I add cinnamon to my yogurt it is usually less than 1g :)

I want an affordable 0.5g sensitive 5kg (or even 10kg, why not) scale.... can you find me one ;-) ????
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

My scale is already 11 lb capacity, but I've an abnormally large Crock Pot and the batches I make in it put me over 11 lbs. But I don't make large batches frequently enough to justify spending money on an even higher capacity scale. And as @PAV8888 points out, going higher means I lose sensitivity when weighing small servings in grams.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    When i want to know my calories... I put all my ingredients into an empty food log day, because i honestly dont like the recipe builder... it never picks the right things i eat anyway... So when everything is in, i scroll down and it tells me all the total calories, carbs, fat, sodium, etc.

So lets say the total for my recipe was 1650 calories. i then have to decide whats a good calorie amount that fits into my goals... say its 350. I divide 350 into 1650 about 4.7.. so roughly 5 bowls. So i put 5 bowls on the counter and just make 5... if one is 250g and another is 265g.. it honestly doesnt matter to me because its going to balance out in the end between the 5 bowls anyway

You then save that as a meal.

You can then use % of meal as your servings.

Or you can also create a recipe using the OLD recipe builder (link to the right of the new recipe builder on the web page)...And enter one ingredient into the old recipe builder, the (unique) name of the meal you just saved.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Here's the issue: MOST (affordable) 0.5g sensitive scales TOP at 1kg; MOST (affordable) 1g sensitive scales TOP at 2-4kg. To go above 4kg, most of the (affordable) scales I've seen become 5g sensitive.

When I cook a big pot it is often more than 4kg. When I add cinnamon to my yogurt it is usually less than 1g :)

I want an affordable 0.5g sensitive 5kg (or even 10kg, why not) scale.... can you find me one ;-) ????

Well that's easy - you're not gonna throw out your more sensitive scale just because you got a 10kg capacity one. And if you're really weighing a 9kg batch of food, I'd hope 5g of error for the total weight would be acceptable! Finally, if you drop the requirement to 1g sensitivity rather than 0.5g, there might be more cost effective options on the market.

PS: you weigh your cinnamon?

Edit: aw man they got scales looking like iPads. I shouldn't have done this search - for less than $10, a really sleek looking 5kg scale can be had. Not that I need another one. :o The 5kg range is where the most options are at. These are the only two I found at 10kg so far. I may not have clicked on some >$30 ones to see what their range was... These two are at 1g sensitivity like all my other food scales.

ow7gry4g51o9.jpg
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »
    I weigh my pot before I even start so that I can just weigh the entire recipe at the end and subtract out the pot. A real pain is using the crockpot that is too heavy for my scale, so I have to transfer to a different bowl to weigh :(

i bought a new kitchen scale for that reason alone.so i won't have to transfer the food from the pan into a new bowl. i went a step further and made an excel sheet with the weight of all my pans,pots and oven trays.Ahh,it's so much easier now :smiley:

i bought this one https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005WLPVUG/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    i have it next to my old one. i use the older one for the majority of the things i weigh,but when i cook, the new one does the job.
  • PAV8888
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Well that's easy - you're not gonna throw out your more sensitive scale just because you got a 10kg capacity one. And if you're really weighing a 9kg batch of food, I'd hope 5g of error for the total weight would be acceptable! Finally, if you drop the requirement to 1g sensitivity rather than 0.5g, there might be more cost effective options on the market.

PS: you weigh your cinnamon?

Edit: aw man they got scales looking like iPads. I shouldn't have done this search - for less than $10, a really sleek looking 5kg scale can be had. Not that I need another one. :o The 5kg range is where the most options are at. These are the only two I found at 10kg so far. I may not have clicked on some >$30 ones to see what their range was... These two are at 1g sensitivity like all my other food scales.

ow7gry4g51o9.jpg

Inspiring research. Of course in Canada not the same options :(
    Mind you, I ran into an interesting one: https://www.amazon.ca/Smart-Weigh-Culinary-Platforms-Ingredients/dp/B01LXXBQWD/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1485773795&sr=8-2&keywords=scale+10kg

Having said that, it fails because I would prefer a more off-set or detachable screen so you can read it when a big plate is on there!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    When i want to know my calories... I put all my ingredients into an empty food log day, because i honestly dont like the recipe builder... it never picks the right things i eat anyway... So when everything is in, i scroll down and it tells me all the total calories, carbs, fat, sodium, etc.

So lets say the total for my recipe was 1650 calories. i then have to decide whats a good calorie amount that fits into my goals... say its 350. I divide 350 into 1650 about 4.7.. so roughly 5 bowls. So i put 5 bowls on the counter and just make 5... if one is 250g and another is 265g.. it honestly doesnt matter to me because its going to balance out in the end between the 5 bowls anyway

This works great for me when I'm batch cooking and freezing meals (which I do often). Doesn't work well when we're all eating dinner - me, husband, kid. Nobody grabs the same amount of the same dish.