C25K- Am I kidding myself?

Options
Week 1 Day 1 and I am wondering what I have gotten myself into? I AM a true couch potato! Walking on the treadmill at a 3.0 is a serious workout for me! So, I started the 5 minute brisk walk at about 2.7, increasing by 1 mph each minute, thus my last minute of walking was at a 3.1. Jogged at 3.8 for a minute, then went back to 3.1 for my 90 second walk. Ummm, I was seeing stars and blacking out. Hopped off and I'm currently recovering. I'm reading posts about people running at 4.0-4.5....HA, really? I'm gonna go back down and give this another shot, but jogging at maybe 3.3-3.5. Advice? Opinions? Encouragements?

Replies

• RoToQ
    RoToQ Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We all have to start somewhere. One of the best things about being a beginner is you will notice a vast improvement over the first few weeks IMO. Stick at it, and set yourself a slightly higher target each time you exercise.
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Don't let the speeds of others discourage you! Do the speed you can do and build from there. I started with only 30 second runs at a 3.8 and moved up from there. you'll be surprised at how fast you'll get to a mile without stopping!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Just do it at your own pace :) When I started jogging, my brother would come with me and walk beside me as I jogged...that's how slow I was. But now I'm at the point where we can go out for a jog together and he actually has to move (he's a runner, so that's an accomplishment!).

So it doesn't matter how slow you are, or if you have to take more of a break...as long as you keep doing it, keep your eye on the prize, and you'll be amazed at how quickly you will improve :)
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was NOT a jogger/runner either when I started C25K, I completed the program starting out like you and by the end I was running/jogging at 4.0. I started the program again and was doing the running parts at 5.0. I've slacked off lately :-( and left off at Week 3, Day 3 I think, I will probably have to start the program over, but it does work you up to being able to pick up your speed.

My advice is to start where you feel comfortable, don't push yourself. I think I'm going to start again tonight, I actually miss it!

Good luck! :)
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    Can you do it outside, instead of on the treadmill? To start with don't worry about speed, distance is what you are looking for. Get the distance, than get the speed. That is what I did, and I was just like you in the beginning and worked my way up. Now I can do up to 6 mph. But, it will take dedication and a thrive to want to be a good runner. So it is all according to what you really want.
  • karleen
    karleen Posts: 260
    Options
    def keep sticking to it . if you werent even used to walking at a fast pace on the treadmill then you shouldnt just jump into running. the program DOES work though. i am starting again today ! i did it and kept up the consistent 3 mile runs for a few months last year [dont know why i stopped :(] but i was walking at 4 mph and running at 6 or 6.5

build up your walking stamina first then move on to actual running. cause 4 mph to me isnt even jogging.. unless youre short maybe im not sure!! [im 5'9 so i know height plays a role in me going a little faster i guess]
  • achieve101
    Options
    Don't give up! I never ran before in my entire life and I started C25K almost 2 months ago and the first day I did it, I thought I was crazy! Now, I can run 2 1/2 miles (at a slow pace) without walking. I feel extremely accompished. Just take it slow and repeat weeks if needed...go at your own pace. I'm planning on doing a 5K in October.
    Good Luck!
  • angstypirates
    angstypirates Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you're really not prepared for C25K, which is possible, you can increase your cardiovascular strength for a week or so before giving it a go. Why not modify the program to speed walking and regular walking? Up the incline, move your arms, and power through. You can probably speed walk at about 3.8mph. Do a week of speed walking intervals and then move to jogging. It will help acclimate your body to exercise and you'll be more comfortable on the treadmill!
  • nikkiws
    nikkiws Posts: 164
    Options
    Well done for making a start.... keep going with it.... at your own pace, otherwise you will end up a crumbled heap at the end of the treadmill. I started off jogging at 8km for 1 min and then walking for a couple of minutes as 5km... kept trying to increase the intensity and length of intervals (and really pushing myself with workout dvds)... I now can go at 10.5km for 18 mins straight!!!! I find listening to fast motivating music helps, not looking at the stats on the treadmill and focussing my eyes on something in the distance helps. Also investing in a nice pair of running trainers as well, I am sure that helped my ability to run further.

Good luck!!
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    Have to say can't comment on the treadmill side of it as I run outside, but I can promise you it is doable and it does get better - I completed week 9 last week. And believe me I struggled to run for 60 seconds at the start - in fact I think I actually did less than that, probably no more than 40 before giving up!!!! :smile: I completed my first 5k race last Wednesday so I, along with lots of others on the boards here, are proof that it does work.

Have faith in yourself and just take it slow and at the pace you find you can do. Doesn't matter how fast other people run, this is about you! :smile: Half the battle with running is mental but have belief in yourself. Just think of each little 60 second bit at a time, don't think of the whole 5k end achievement, and do what you can. You'll be amazed at what you can do :smile:
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    girl I am at week 3 day 1.....yeah, haven't started day 1 yet because i'm scared out of my mind....I couldn't believe that I ran for a minute and a half last week. But now I have to run for 3 minutes??? no way that's happening lol.....but i'm going to do what I can and if I have to start over, then i'll start over..
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Just keep plugging away! When I first started being a couch potato would have been a step up for me! Your body will respond and you will be amazed!
  • NoWaitLoss
    Options
    I remember this exact scenario when I first started. One thing that helped me considerably was to insure that my treadmill was level. I had purchased it and ignored the manual bolts that were used to adjust the incline and had it on the highest incline. Fixing that issue made a world of difference.

Other than that it can be difficult, keep your goal in mind and work towards it bit by bit. Congratulations on your first steps!
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Don't worry about the speed yet. Go at a pace you're comfortable with and can maintain and concentrate on getting through the run intervals as they increase. Once you can run the full distance, then worry about working on speed.

Believe me! I was -never- a runner (couldn't even finish the 1-mile challenges in high school gym). However, for some reason I decided I wanted to start. I began C25K in February (at about 240lbs) and had some delays along the way with scheduling issues (and excuses!), but finished the program and then worked myself up to the full 5K distance just in time to run my first race this past Sunday. Yes, I was very slow (43 minutes - SHHH!!), but I finished without walking!!

Now that I can do that (and that I've lost 60lbs), I will work on speed. My plan is to go back and use my C25K intervals again, but instead of walking and running I will alternate running speeds - my current pace and a faster pace - to start getting my time down.

Trust the program and go at a pace you can maintain. If I can do it, anyone can... and I did it!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Jog at the pace that feels best for you, and customize the plan to work best for you. Try only jogging for 30 seconds for a week, then go into the one minute at a time. Or take a few more weeks to just walk and build up your endurance a bit more.

Also, sometimes it's easier to go a little faster. I remember reading that it takes more effort to jog slowly than it does to walk the same pace, up until around 5mph for most people, then it's easier to jog than to walk. You have to find the right pace for you. Try cranking up the pace little by little until there's no frickin' way you can possibly walk and have to start to jog, then go up another tenth of a mile or so.
  • kmcgrath1
    kmcgrath1 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Please don't let the speed of others discourage you. I started at 3.5 walking and jogging at 4.0. I had to do the program many times and repeat many weeks. It's fine...you go at your own pace. I used to feel bad when I would look at others running at 6.0 and I could barely keep breathing at 4.5.

I have now completed the C25K and I'm on the Ease into 10K. The best thing is I'm running at 5.0/5.5 and it seems so easy for me. You won't believe how strong you become and how fast it happens. Take the pace that is best for you and your body. Don't push yourself or you will hurt yourself. This is for you, you are not in a race with anyone. You can do this!
  • tevez032
    tevez032 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm doing week 2 day 3 today and thought it'd get easier... it hasn't yet!

BUT if you look back once you've done a few days, you will notice that you have in fact progressed in the time you've spent running etc.

So... you will probably feel just as worn out each time, but each time your body is doing MORE.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi, and congratulations on the progress you've made so far, it's awesome! Stick with it, it will get easier, I promised.

I've put together all my beginner's running tips here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

The very first one is:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!

Good luck!
  • Heatherly30
    Heatherly30 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks you all! Your encouragement REALLY does help! I came back down to the treadmill (90 degree weather just isn't for me), and I finished it. It's a little embarassing to say that I walked at 2.5 and jogged at 3.3, but hey, I guess it's better than nothing! Thursday I will try to increase my speeds a little (but not much). I can see how it is more difficult to jog at slower speeds. I, like many of you have never been a runner, never ever. I am more of a Jazzercize/Zumba type of girl, but money and lack of babysitters make that a difficult option to keep up with on a regular basis. The previous owners of this house left us a treadmill, so I may as well take advantage of it, and then when the weather cools off, I'll hit the outdoors! Thanks again!
  • PecanTanDiva
    PecanTanDiva Posts: 162
    Options
    Hello all, I have just started C25k on Sunday. Week 1 day 1 was a blast, but I paced myself. I walked the first 5 min at 2.5 for warm up and ran no more than 4.5 each 1 minute that I was supposed to. I then cooled down by walking 2.0. Although my legs are killing me, I loved every bit of how I felt afterwards. Today will be week1 day2.

To answer your question - C25K-Am I kidding myself?

You're not....This is only your 1st day. Just pace yourself and you will be fine. I think the only reason why I can run at 4.5 is because I started running on my treamill a couple of weeks ago so I kind of gotten used to going at a certain speed. I wish you the best of luck with your journey!!! :flowerforyou: