Tums and thighs...

Options
I know that there's no way to gurantee weight loss off of specific areas, so I'm not even going to try, what I would like though are any excercises that I can do that work specifically on these areas. I need them to be simple, quick things I can incorprate into my morning routine. At the moment I'm doing sit-ups because I know how to do them and they work on the abs. I'm often told I shouldn't do them and I should switch to something else, but I never remember what and I don't even know how to do them anyway :P So tall order I know...

I'm also trying to walk and jog more throughout the day, and I'm getting back into bellydance, just hoping there's something I can work into my morning routine before people start waking up :P

Replies

• sunyg
    sunyg Posts: 229
    Options
    I'm no expert but have you tried squats & lunges? There are tons of them in the DVD I do and I've seen a huge improvement in my thighs and bum.
  • moyyster
    moyyster Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I like to do leg lifts and bicycle crunches. I do them reaalllllyyyy slow, and sure that I don't use any type of momentum.
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Cardio, squats (for the thighs and butt), lunges, planks (regular and side for core), bicycles (for abs). These are all exercises you can do at home with no equipment. However, I like to do lunges and squats with 10lb weights now. Start where you are confortable.
  • iheartpresley
    Options
    http://www.blogilates.com/workoutindex has a bunch of great options
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Leg lifts or "reverse situps" are great for the abs (particularly the lower abs). There's also a move where you lay on your back, stretch your arms above your head and keep your hands and feet about 6 inches off of the floor for as long as you can.

Regarding the planks - I know of two positions, plank (on your hands, like the top of a pushup) and forearm planks. In my experience, the forearm plank is more what you're looking for, just FYI.
  • gtutunjian
    gtutunjian Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Everyone else covered anything I would have suggested (and use) - I can only add "be patient". Some people drop body fat quickly and some (like me) just don't. Getting fitter doesn't always mean getting slimmer (although there's a lot of emphasis in the world on slimness, so I don't ignore it either.)

I did see that my increasing my rest days (to 2) and my sleep hours (to 7 or 8) I am getting better workouts in - stronger, quicker and less time to recover. Major awakening for me.
  • loved11
    loved11 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    There so many ab stuff to do. I do all very slowly, in a 4 count. I learned from chalene slow works just as well as pumping out the reps. I did learn that the lunges and squats have to be done with most of your weight on the heels. Especially when coming up. To not push all from the toe but from the heel. This uses the hamstring and the glutes. I have finally seen progress. Hope this helps.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    If you go to just one abs, core, conditioning or lbt class then you'll learn loads of exercises which you can keep up with by yourself at home.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I did see that my increasing my rest days (to 2) and my sleep hours (to 7 or 8) I am getting better workouts in - stronger, quicker and less time to recover. Major awakening for me.

This, too! It's amazing how much a proper night's sleep and rest time are overlooked when trying to lose weight.
  • jennykling
    jennykling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and am seeing results. It is a 24 minute dvd that I do 3-5 times a week so I am taking it slower than you are told to. I have always worked out but I am finally seeing the inches come off with this. If you do it measure yourself before and you will results. She works all those trouble areas. I don't like week 2 but some people really do so I kind of mix and match the weeks and am getting results. (I also do cardio throughout the day) What the others have said are really good too. I just like something I don't have to think about that gives me results in a quick time:) Good luck to you
  • kerry1513
    kerry1513 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Try doing some pilates. They are a great way to build stamina while working on developing overall body strength. I recommend going to www.blogilates.com and trying some of her workouts.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    One simple thing you can add to your day that doesn't take any time and I have been doing for years. While brushing your teeth, do heel lifts. Specifically, start flat footed and raise yourself up onto your toes, so your heels are a few inches off the ground. Hold it for a second and then lower them so they ALMOST touch the ground for a second. Repeat for the whole two minutes you are brushing your teeth. You will start to feel these all of the way up the back of your thighs to your butt before the end of the two minutes, I promise! I have always had really nice calves and I swear these are the reason why.