has anyone tried the 5:2 fast diet?

Options
i was thinking of trying this diet out as ive read that it has many benefits and it is something people are likely to stick to.
to me, it does sound doable. 5 days of eating normally (2000 cals) and 2 days of eating only 500 cals.
has anyone actually tried this? is it really as effective as a normal calorie controlled diet?

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Yep, I did ADF for my weight loss phase (alternate day IF), and then used 5:2IF during the transition period between my weight loss phase and maintenance (still lost, just at a slower pace). Now I'm in maintenance and do a different IF protocol-16:8IF :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Lots of people here do it (there's a group), and a co-worker of mine does it and loves it (she was losing vanity weight and lost about 10 lbs easily and is now maintaining and feeling like she can eat whatever she wants on the 5 regular days -- she only counts on the 2).

I've thought about it but can't figure out how I'd manage some things (mainly workout schedule). If interested, try it and see if you like it.

For weight loss "normally" on the 5 days = your maintenance, so you'd want to estimate that.
  • tcline27
    tcline27 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would like to learn more about intermittent fasting. Does anyone recommend a good website or book? Thank you!
  • absolutlora
    absolutlora Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    tcline27 wrote: »
    I would like to learn more about intermittent fasting. Does anyone recommend a good website or book? Thank you!

good question I was wondering the same
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION, HAVE A READ OF THE BELOW. IF YOU POST A TOPIC & WANT SPECIFIC DETAILS INCLUDE YOU'RE CURRENT STATS, GOALS & TYPE OF IF YOU ARE DOING.

Firstly, for fat loss/physique changes calories in vs out is what matters MOST.

The effects of IF on human and animal health
    http://www.lift-heavy.com/intermittent-fasting/

Please read this on how to calculate an estimate of calories/macronutrients you require.
    http://www.emma-leigh.com/basics_calorie_needs.html

What types of food can you eat? Read this (and use you're common sense :smile:)
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=133634471

LEAN GAINS FAQ (16/8 men or 14/10 women)
    http://examine.com/leangains-faq/#summary13

Re women 14/10
    "That doesn't surprise me, many women do well on the 16/8 split. However, there is a slight tendency for men being able to tolerate longer fasts better, supported by both anecdote/client feedback and studies, which is why I use the 14/10 by default and leave the option of 16/8 open." - Martin Berkhan

Calorie cycling calculator that can be used for LG style. (Cal/carb cycling is not a requirement)
    http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/

5:2 documentary
    http://documentaryheaven.com/eat-fast-and-live-longer/

http://www.fast-5.com/
    Free E-Book
    (daily fasts 19/5)

http://eatstopeat.com/
    (once or twice weekly 24hr fasts, normally dinner to dinner)

Flexibility of IF (which type)
    http://bradpilon.com/weight-loss/intermittent-fasting-and-flexibility/

VERY good E-book on the different types of IF and who they would suit.
    http://www.precisionnutrition.com/intermittent-fasting

What kind of exercise should you do?
    Well if you're goal is to look good naked then focussing on maintaining LBM is the key ie. resistance training. I recommend starting strength, stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of Lifting for beginners. Please get you're form checked by someone knowledgable.

Can I still do cardio?
    Yes you can! Cardio is obviously good for cardiovascular health (resistance training also helps this) and can help you create you're calorific deficit if you are trying to lose fat.

How do I lose fat and retain LBM?

calorie deficit (depending on current BF%, larger people can have larger deficits)
    1g/lb of LBM minimum protein
    .35g/lb of bodyweight minimum fat
    Regular resistance training (compound lifts, increasing weight each workout)
    whatever cardio exercise you enjoy

Can I drink coffee, water, diet soda during fasting or chew sugar free gum?
    Yes. Upper limit of 50cals during fasting. This means, black coffee not a starbucks espresso!

Do I have to do fasted workouts?
    NO! There may be some benefits to a fasted workout but it isn't for everybody. Fit you're exercise into you're schedule whenever you can. It's more important to JUST DO IT! If you PERFORM better fasted then you should train fasted. If you PERFORM better fed then you should train fed.

If I do fasted workouts, do I HAVE to take BCAAs?
    No, studies have shown that as long as you're daily protein intake is sufficient then they are not required. You still could for some extra catabolism insurance if you like.

Can I use IF to bulk?
    Yes. Cals in vs out is what matters most so as long as you can hit a calorie surplus it is fine.

Is IF for Everyone?
    No. IF is not recommended for children and adolescents, pregnant women or women planning to get pregnant in the near future or people with chronic health conditions. Some people may find that fasting makes them feel dizzy or weak.

How many calories is acceptable during fasting phase?
    Martin Berkhan recommends an upper limit of 50cals. This could be from things like splash of skim milk in coffee, diet cokes, sugar free gum etc etc. Closer to zero the better.

This is the FAQ from the IF group I'm a member of. I can't link to it on the phone
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight using the 5:2 eating pattern. Found it far easier to stick to than everyday calorie restriction. The thought "it's only one day" is quite motivational. Everyday calorie restriction tends to bore and frustrate me.

Also supported a heavy exercise routine very well as 5 days a week you are fully fuelled. A hidden benefit is that the switch to maintenance calories is very easy as you have been practicing five days a week already. I did eat to my maintenance calories (calorie counting) on the five days rather than "eating normally" as my version of eating normally tends to be a slight surplus (I like my food!).
    It does teach you what real hunger signals are - rather than just eating out of habit or routine. Makes you very creative with cooking/food prep when you have so few calories to work with.

It's effective if it suits you and allows you to maintain a calorie deficit over the course of a week.
  • crzycatlady1
    Options

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/forums/
  • AriaLace
    AriaLace Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I did it before and it worked for me. I did lose weigh and kept it off but found it hard to stick to after a month. But if you plan the fast days better than I did I say you'll do great
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    There are a few versions of intermittent fasting.. I do 16:8... i eat during at 8 hour window during the day.. I love it.. after three weeks.. all cravings end.. i don't think about food all the time.. i have control. i eat between 12:30 and 8:30 p.m. I've also stopped counting calories.. i'm slowly getting smaller.

I highly recommend this for any of you who think about food all the time. Theory is you stay in fat burning mode because your overnight fast is extended..and if you work out before you break your fast.. you burn even more fat because fat stores are used during your work out. ..

I have no desire to do the more extreme versions of IF..yet some do for their own reasons and have great success.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options

Google Intensive Dietary Management. This is a site/blog run by Jason Fung, MD, a Nephrologist in Toronto who has hundreds of patients, on regular fasting regimens. I don't think there's another person out there with his qualifications and experience with this topic.

Also, highly recommend the book written by Jason Fung, MD and Jimmy Moore, Fasting-something. The full title escapes me. They also have a podcast on iTunes. Fantastic information on fasting.

• leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    There are a few versions of intermittent fasting.. I do 16:8... i eat during at 8 hour window during the day.. I love it.. after three weeks.. all cravings end.. i don't think about food all the time.. i have control. i eat between 12:30 and 8:30 p.m. I've also stopped counting calories.. i'm slowly getting smaller.

I highly recommend this for any of you who think about food all the time. Theory is you stay in fat burning mode because your overnight fast is extended..and if you work out before you break your fast.. you burn even more fat because fat stores are used during your work out. ..

I have no desire to do the more extreme versions of IF..yet some do for their own reasons and have great success.

I also do 16:8. I like it. It helps with weekends. Also I have learned how to ignore those first hunger pangs of the day now that I know they actually subside. Some weekends I go longer than 16 hours. I've gone 19 so far today and haven't broken fast yet.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

Um, no.

I also do 16:8. But know that when you eat (or don't eat) makes absolutely no difference in the amount of calories you will (or won't) burn.

You can gain weight on IF just as easily as you can without IF. If you eat more than your body burns in a day, you will gain weight.

IF works for me because I've never been a breakfast person. I generally don't start to feel hungry until sometime in the afternoon. So saving my calories until I'm genuinely hungry gives me more calories to spend in the latter part of the day and evening when I *am* hungry.

Not for a second saying that this is some kind of magic, because it isn't. There's no advantage to it other than - for me - making adherence to my calorie goals easier to manage. :)
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    yes i did and it worked well for me at first, but then i just couldn't do it anymore. after a few weeks, my body was just NEEDING food at regular intervals. i know for some people, it works well, so maybe try it. :smile:
  • crzycatlady1
    edited January 2017
    Options

Um, no.

I also do 16:8. But know that when you eat (or don't eat) makes absolutely no difference in the amount of calories you will (or won't) burn.

You can gain weight on IF just as easily as you can without IF. If you eat more than your body burns in a day, you will gain weight.

IF works for me because I've never been a breakfast person. I generally don't start to feel hungry until sometime in the afternoon. So saving my calories until I'm genuinely hungry gives me more calories to spend in the latter part of the day and evening when I *am* hungry.

Not for a second saying that this is some kind of magic, because it isn't. There's no advantage to it other than - for me - making adherence to my calorie goals easier to manage. :)

This. I've been doing IF for quite a while now and at one time I experimented with doing IF without tracking my calorie intake and surprise surprise I started re-gaining :p IF is nice but weight loss, weight gain and weight maintenance comes down to CICO.