Bread and cheese

Options
Ok so after logging my meals for my first week I know one thing.... I eat too much cheese and bread. What are some substitutes I can use in place of bread? Or do I just skip the bread all together? I am on a somewhat tight grocery budget and bread seems filling so that's why I eat it so much. And I have no excuses for the cheese I just love it lol.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I get low calorie bread. Schmidt 647 has nice thick slices for 40 calories each. Sara Lee and Arnold both have a 45 calorie bread.

No need to skip it if you love it. Just work it into your calories.

Also, love cheese. :smiley:
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with eating bread and cheese, it won't hinder your weight loss as long as you add it to your food diary. I have both everyday and will never give it up (unless of some medical reason, and even then I'd be devastated)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Are you hitting your calorie targets? If so, you're fine. Maybe make efforts to add rather than eliminate things from your diet...like if you're lacking veg and fruit, try adding more of that...over time, your diet will ultimately evolve.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    red692 wrote: »
    What are some substitutes I can use in place of bread?

Slightly less cheese and bread.

Sorry if my answer sounds glib, but I mean it sincerely. I love cheese and bread. I also love grilled cheese. Restricting myself of either of those things would make weight loss miserable. And doing so wouldn't teach me how to eat the things I enjoy in moderation. And in the grand scheme of things, learning how to moderate plays a huge role in successful weight loss and maintenance.

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I eat too much cheese and bread.
    What are some substitutes I can use in place of bread? Or do I just skip the bread all together?
    I am on a somewhat tight grocery budget
    bread seems filling
    cheese... I just love it
    If you go over your calorie budget, you eat too much.
    If you eat so much bread and cheese that you can't make room for sufficient amounts of other foods you like and need, you eat too much bread and cheese.
    Filling food is something you want, especially when losing weight.
    Cheap, tasty and filling food is generally a good thing.
    It seems to me that to substitute or cut out bread/cheese is not the solution to your problem.
    I'm not even sure if there is a problem...
    If you feel a need to balance your diet better, you can reduce your intake of bread and cheese, and possibly increase intake of other foods.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of bread and cheese. Sometimes I have trouble meeting my protein goals though so they have those Protein up wraps (can't remember their name, flat outs maybe?) so I replace my bread from sandwiches with those wraps to increase protein. But I still often eat those bread and cheese! Cheese is a great source of protein and filling!
  • red692
    red692 Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options

Sorry if my answer sounds glib, but I mean it sincerely. I love cheese and bread. I also love grilled cheese. Restricting myself of either of those things would make weight loss miserable.

Your answer is very helpful maybe using my food scale more often for portion control... It's like one second I have a tiny sprinkle of cheese... The next second it's covering my food
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with bread and cheese (I like mine in grilled cheese sandwich form) as long as you stay under your calorie goals!
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    less bread, more cheese. I put that s*** on everything.
  • red692
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Are you hitting your calorie targets? If so, you're fine. Maybe make efforts to add rather than eliminate things from your diet...like if you're lacking veg and fruit, try adding more of that...over time, your diet will ultimately evolve.

Over time... Yes maybe I should try and take smaller steps and gradually adding more fruits and vegs. Very helpful.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Crackers. Depending on the cheese. But then I often prefer a cracker for my cheese. Layered crab is what I use bread for. Mmmmmmmm.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options

Sorry if my answer sounds glib, but I mean it sincerely. I love cheese and bread. I also love grilled cheese. Restricting myself of either of those things would make weight loss miserable.

Your answer is very helpful maybe using my food scale more often for portion control... It's like one second I have a tiny sprinkle of cheese... The next second it's covering my food

I think that's a great idea. I started pre-portioning snacks and have found that it really helps. It gives me a better sense of what a portion actually is and it makes me much more aware of how much I'm eating. :)
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I pretty much have bread and cheese everyday.

I use laughing cow 35 calorie wedges sometimes when I want a lower calorie meal. But I mostly eat real cheese:)

I use bagel thins for my brunch breakfast sandwich.

I also got a higher protein/fiber bread so I can get a little more in.

• ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I know two facts.
    1) You CANNOT eat too much cheese.
    2) See #1.

Now about these sandwiches. How about rolling the cheese up in the meat? Use a mayo or mustard as a dip, or smear it on the meat before you roll it with the cheese. Also you could use lettuce leaves as a wrap. Also you could grill it a little on the stove or heat it in the microwave to warm the cheesy meat roll. Add more vegetables by cutting them into matchsticks and putting them in the center of the meaty cheese roll. Or just chop it all and eat it like a salad. Small tortillas make great wraps if you just want to go for less bread. I avoid too much bread because it makes me hungry. So I find a lot of ways to have my "sandwiches" with out the bread.
  • Nevada
    Nevada Posts: 140 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Try sharp cheddar and other strongly flavored cheeses. You might be satisfied eating a smaller amount.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I eat string cheese as a snack. 80 calories, already portioned out. Try using cheese as an accent. Grate some onto a salad or main dish so you get a bit of the cheesy flavor without as much of the cost. Treats aren't cheats. By which I mean, if you have the calories in your allotment for it, there is nothing virtuous about, say, having four rice cakes when you're thinking about having a slice of bread. Take the bread. Have a salad on the side or a bowl of fruit, so it'll fill you up. Budget for pizza (check the database; the calories aren't that unreasonable for some varieties).

In other words, don't be like Cathy in the following comic. I've been there too many times and it's much better to allow reasonable amounts of the foods you love. Especially when they're good for you!

cathy-comic.png
  • jdwils14
    jdwils14 Posts: 154 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Of course, it could also depend on the bread you do eat. I love having sandwiches with Dave's Killer Bread. It is organic, full of seeds, and comes in thin 60 cal slices. You can pronounce all the stuff that is in it. Also has a good amount of protein and fiber to supplement with what you put in it, like tuna or egg sandwich (both topped with cheese!).

As a whole, it is on the expensive end, but if you take 4-5 days to eat it, having two sandwiches a day, it equates to about 50 cents a sandwich, plus what you use it with, so maybe right around a buck a sandwich.
  • red692
    Options
    I know two facts.
    1) You CANNOT eat too much cheese.
    2) See #1.
    Also you could use lettuce leaves as a wrap. Also you could grill it a little on the stove or heat it in the microwave to warm the cheesy meat roll. Add more vegetables by cutting them into matchsticks and putting them in the center of the meaty cheese roll.

You're 2 facts are amazing lol and I love your ideas about the veggies in the meaty cheese roll thankyou!!!
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I love bread and cheese. I eat it every day. As long as my cals in < cals out, I'll lose weight.
  • goldenday
    goldenday Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I adore cheese and usually have 3 kinds in my fridge at one point. Everything is okay, as long as your within your calories for the day.