Is my exercising method any good?

Options

Replies

• stylzemail
    stylzemail Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You don't need 2 hours of exercise to lose body fat.- Give this a try- Breakfast bowl of oatmeal raw uncooked, just add some apple juice and raisins in it (a person don't have to cook oatmeal). That's everyday breakfast. - and it's cheap. For Lunch - eat microwave popcorn or a bag of sunflower seeds and apple juice. Dinner- eat only greens , and meat chicken or fish , no bread, no starch, - if you have to go to restaurants order small salad and meat drink teas . Eat this same pattern , for two weeks everyday, you will lose weight, its like for example if a person has a cat you feed it the same cat food - everyday. Breakfast is uncooked oats mixture. Lunch is popcorn -or..... sunflower seeds, dinner meat and veggies.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    stylzemail wrote: »
    You don't need 2 hours of exercise to lose body fat.- Give this a try- Breakfast bowl of oatmeal raw uncooked, just add some apple juice and raisins in it (a person don't have to cook oatmeal). That's everyday breakfast. - and it's cheap. For Lunch - eat microwave popcorn or a bag of sunflower seeds and apple juice. Dinner- eat only greens , and meat chicken or fish , no bread, no starch, - if you have to go to restaurants order small salad and meat drink teas . Eat this same pattern , for two weeks everyday, you will lose weight, its like for example if a person has a cat you feed it the same cat food - everyday. Breakfast is uncooked oats mixture. Lunch is popcorn -or..... sunflower seeds, dinner meat and veggies.

Is this what you eat?

Everyday for two weeks?

How much weight will you lose?

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    active562 wrote: »
    active562 wrote: »
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    The short answer...yes...even short periods of moving will help with weight loss. Bear in mind though that as you lose weight and your body adapts to the exercises that you do that same amount of exercise will burn less calories. You will either need to increase intensity and/or duration to continue to burn the same amount of calories that you are presently burning.

How fit you will become with exercising this way is another story.

Sorry to ask you but im really curious. So if I've been working out on the elliptical for a long time for the same amount of time , will I eventually start burning less calories? Im asking cause I found your answer very interesting.

If you don't increase your exertion level, then,
    yes, definitely, if you've lost weight, and
    yes, probably, even if you haven't lost weight, because you'll likely have gotten fitter and more efficient at that movement, and your body will be able to perform the same amount of that type of work (i.e., moving your body in a certain way) for fewer calories.

So even to maintain my current weight , I must change my workout routine every couple of months?

Maybe, maybe not. In the first place, I'm not saying it's going to be a huge difference, and a lot of people will naturally increase their pace (one form of increasing your exertion) without thinking of it as changing their workout routine, so they're traveling farther (even if traveling in place on an elliptical machine) during the same amount of time -- that is, they're doing more work, which could more than make up for any decrease in the rate of calorie burning at a given pace due to increased fitness and efficiency.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    stylzemail wrote: »

I like raw (rolled) oats, especially in the warmer times of the year, although I prefer yogurt, kefir, or milk as my liquid to apple juice, but there's nothing magical about not cooking the oatmeal, especially if you cook your oatmeal in the traditional fashion, which involves cooking it until it absorbs all the cooking water (i.e., absolutely no possibility of losing any vitamins or mineral in cooking liquid that gets drained off).

I occasionally eat popcorn for lunch at work, when I'm really pressed for time, because it's easy to store in my desk, is quick to prepare, easy to eat at my desk, and is filling for the calories. But, again, absolutely nothing magical about it. And there's no reason to avoid meat or vegetables at lunch. And sunflower seeds are a snack, not a meal.

And what's with all the apple juice? Better to eat an apple and get the fiber, and feel fuller.

People are not cats. And if they were, they would probably get sick or die on this diet. Not enough animal protein. Cats are essentially carnivores.
  • imlindaheart
    imlindaheart Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. Previously my calorie limit was at 1320 with 2lbs per week weight loss and I did eat around half the calories I got from these short exercises. But as many of you suggested not to eat back any calories and since I haven't lost any weight for the last 5-6 days, I decided not to eat my exercise calories, especially since I don't know if they are correct or not. Also, I changed my settings to lose 1.5 lbs per week (0.75 kg) which gives me 1570 calories. I did it because I don't think I can last long on 1320 calories per day without any extra exercise calories.

I'll try this for a few weeks and see how goes. I think my food logging is quite accurate and if I end up losing more than 1.5 lbs per week, I may switch back to my previous plan because i really love the idea of being able to eat more if I exercise more.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Also try leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos. Can you go on a walk outside with your daughter? It would be good for both of you.
  • imlindaheart
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Also try leslie Sansone Walk at Home videos. Can you go on a walk outside with your daughter? It would be good for both of you.

Thanks, I will check it out. And yes, I do go out every day with my son, but I can't walk much. He doesn't like strollers and only wants to walk on his own. And it's not really walking, more like me waiting and standing around and trying to keep him off the street while he investigates every stone, bench and counts cars :) As I'm barely moving, I don't count us going out as exercise.

• MeredithDeVoe1
    MeredithDeVoe1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you are doing what you can in your situation. Maximize your 10 minutes with high intensity intervals (indoors). When you go out for walks with your son, let him explore. Trust me, before you know it he'll be 25 and you'll treasure those memories!! Or, put him on your shoulders for a horsey ride, if you are strong enough! That will get your heart rate going and he'll enjoy it too.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Any amount of moving more is a good thing...it's not going to do a whole lot though in regards to fitness development.

I'd also suggest taking the kiddo out for a nice long walk in a stroller. When my kids were that young, we took them out in a stroller and walked and ultimately my wife started using a jogging stroller. I eventually purchased a kid trailer for my bike.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

Thanks, I will check it out. And yes, I do go out every day with my son, but I can't walk much. He doesn't like strollers and only wants to walk on his own. And it's not really walking, more like me waiting and standing around and trying to keep him off the street while he investigates every stone, bench and counts cars :) As I'm barely moving, I don't count us going out as exercise.

not trying to sound too harsh, but you are the parent he is the toddler. if you want/need to walk for your health - you put him in a stroller and go. he'll get use to it and you'll get healthier for him and yourself - a win/win.
  • imlindaheart
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Any amount of moving more is a good thing...it's not going to do a whole lot though in regards to fitness development.

I'd also suggest taking the kiddo out for a nice long walk in a stroller. When my kids were that young, we took them out in a stroller and walked and ultimately my wife started using a jogging stroller. I eventually purchased a kid trailer for my bike.

I wish I could take him out in a stroller :) Ever since he started to walk on his own, he will not sit in a stroller. Thus we can't go very far either, otherwise he will be too tired to walk back and I'd have to carry him. He is 15 kg and it's winter, so it's not such an easy task to carry a toddler while both are wearing bulky clothing. Would surely burn a lot of calories though.

As for getting fitter, I think these short exercises do work at least a little. This morning, all the muscles in my legs were so sore, I couldn't even walk at first. Had to skip running or dancing today as well. But then again, I walked 3 km to the grocery store and back without effort (except for muscle pain), when I would have been exhausted doing the same a month ago.

• rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    You already seem to have your eating under control so If you can find the time I would suggest putting your son in the stroller and walking for 25 mins at a pace you're happy with and let him out for the last 5 mins home. Or use his nap time as your walk time x
  • imlindaheart
    Options

[/quote]

not trying to sound too harsh, but you are the parent he is the toddler. if you want/need to walk for your health - you put him in a stroller and go. he'll get use to it and you'll get healthier for him and yourself - a win/win.[/quote]

I don't think that walking with a screaming toddler tied to a stroller would be much fun :D I managed to get a long walk today, when my teenagers were not at school and could watch their baby brother.
  • ibboykin
    ibboykin Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    You are on target. In reality, only thirty minutes per day 4 or 5 days per week, even done in ten minute increments is great and is far better than nothing at all. Keep it up. Doing great.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I wish I could take him out in a stroller :) Ever since he started to walk on his own, he will not sit in a stroller. Thus we can't go very far either, otherwise he will be too tired to walk back and I'd have to carry him. He is 15 kg and it's winter, so it's not such an easy task to carry a toddler while both are wearing bulky clothing. Would surely burn a lot of calories though.

As for getting fitter, I think these short exercises do work at least a little. This morning, all the muscles in my legs were so sore, I couldn't even walk at first. Had to skip running or dancing today as well. But then again, I walked 3 km to the grocery store and back without effort (except for muscle pain), when I would have been exhausted doing the same a month ago.

Not meaning to sound harsh either, but he's 2 years old... Strap him into the stroller, he'll realise soon enough that you're not going to cave in to his demands and run out of puff eventually.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    So let him walk for 5/10 minutes then put him in the stroller, do what works for you. Kids are versatile, he will get used to it, but you need to be firm.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I think what you are doing is good. Not much different than me walking 30 min and I lost weight just fine.

May I suggest adding some body weight exercises too.

Squats, pushups, lunges (google to see all the options) to help preserve muscle.