Diabetes Type II

Options
It's official. Well, my doctor would probably tell you that it's been official as of a year ago. I've just now (literally, an hour ago) realized that I'm probably not "borderline" any more.

Back in 2015 my doctor had my blood levels checked and the A1C came back at 6.1, which is referred to by doctors as borderline. The "borderline" label was a big part of my developing attitude about it. I thought things like "I'm going to diet and exercise and won't ever get to full Diabetic status" and "I'll starting eating better" and get it under control. Neither of those things happened, because it "won't happen to me, I'm generally healthy"... I didn't take the Metformin as it was prescribed, and frequently fell off the wagon as far as my weight loss plan is concerned.

I woke up to shooting pain in my right thigh. And I do mean PAIN, at least it's close to more than any pain that I experience in my life. It didn't matter which way I moved (I was in bed and it woke me up), it was still there. After jumping on to the net I read about Peripheral Neuropathy. The description of symptoms is what I experienced to a tee. I have an appointment with that same doctor next week, coincidentally, as a follow-up so we'll have plenty to talk about. I'm sure the doctor will think to herself "Duh, I told you this" to herself, and I'm already feeling pretty stupid.

Why I'm writing this: It's NO JOKE. Take responsibility NOW! Borderline, without any action becomes Actual, and you don't want that. Stick to your diet, change your menu, go exercise as you already plan to do. I've waited too long and I'm now facing a situation of still being able to turn the diabetes around, but the nerve damage is forever.

To read more about Peripheral Neuropathy, follow this link. If you are "severely obese" as I am, have your A1C checked and then take appropriate action.

http://www.healthline.com/health/diabetes/can-diabetic-neuropathy-be-reversed#Overview1

Have a great day!
Eric

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. I hope you are able to reverse your neuropathy.

I followed the book, Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution to treat my insulin resistance. It is written by a T1 diabetic doctor who specializes in treating diabetics. His goal is normal BG for all diabetics. Not just "diabetic normal" but healthy low BG numbers. A great book.

Best wishes to you.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. It's one I need to keep front and center. I worked with a guy who had neuropathy(wasn't diabetic), I saw how much pain he was in. He wasn't a guy who complained about anything, but you could see how it impacted him. Best wishes to you.
  • BiggDaddy58
    BiggDaddy58 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Best wishes to you..I also was diagnosed with diabetes in Jan 2016

I am 58 and weighed 308+ My A1C tests had been 6.1 6.4 6.4 and then in Jan 2016 7.4

My Dr wanted to put me on meds..but I said I would go home and change my life..

Diet and exercise and today I am 70+ pound lighter..I eat better ( CICO & Healthier food choices) and I exercise daily

I am on no meds..just had my A1C test last Thursday 5.6 You can turn it around through healthier choices in life..

I wish you well!
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your story and good luck on your journey to good health
  • E6165
    E6165 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story. Mine is very similar. My recent A1C was 7.1 down from 8.4. The older I get the harder it is to just shrug off the disease, it's there and it's here to stay. I have tried and failed many times at making a lifestyle change, but here I am, hoping for the best this time around. Hang in there!