How to do 10 full push-ups – what worked for me

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
From today's blog:
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/how-to-do-10-full-push-ups-what-worked-for-me-126396

I’m not a trainer, not do I play one on TV, but I do have a basic qualification in exercise and fitness, and I’ve been through the exercise mill myself! Always check with a proper gym trainer if you have questions, or your doctor or physiotherapist if trying this, as I did, after injury.

If you want to skip the background, just hop to the end and the programme!

Many people, especially women, complain that they’ll never be able to do full push-ups as they lack the upper body strength. I can sympathise, because a year and a half ago, I almost literally had none.

Out training or the London Marathon (very, very slowly!)in March I failed to notice a pothole that had opened up in the pavement during the snow that had recently thawed. I flew forward and landed almost entirely flat on the floor, with my right arm breaking my fall, scraping my hand, forearms and lower legs so badly I was dripping blood.

To cut a long story short, though I didn’t realise it at the time I damaged the tendons in my right shoulder so badly I couldn’t move or use the arm. I literally had to pick my right hand up with my left to move it from my keyboard to my mouse! Carrying anything was impossible, opening a door always had to be done with my left hand and I couldn’t swim until a year later. I couldn’t even do up or undo my bra!

Starting with the lowest strength resistance bands I was given in physiotherapy, I gradually built my strength back as my shoulder healed. My goal was to be able to do 10 full, or military, push-ups. I hadn’t even been able to do them since 10 years before my injury!

First find your starting level. Which is the toughest of these you can do 10 of in a row? Check YouTube for form – it’s explained far better visually than I could with words.

* Wall push-ups – Standing a yard away from a wall, lean forward with your palms on the wall. Too hard? Get closer. Too easy? Step further back.
* Box push-ups – Kneel on the floor with your hands directly under your shoulders and your hips directly over your knees.
* Bench push-ups – With your body straight and feet on the floor, put your hands on a bench on table. Use a higher platform to make it easier.
* Knee push-ups – Like box push-ups but your body is straight between shoulders and knees.
* Wide-leg push-ups – Like full push-ups but with feet as far apart as you need to complete the 10 reps.
* Full push-ups – The real McCoy.

Start a set of 10 by doing the next level up from your current ability, say box if you can only do wall. Do as many as you can before dropping back to your current level, say two box followed by eight wall. Rest for one minute and repeat twice. In subsequent sets, you won’t be able to do as many, if any, of the next level up. Don’t worry; just finish them at the lower level.

If you feel you can’t do any of the next level just yet, try doing reverse push-ups – get into the high position for that level, drop slowly to the ground, then instead of pushing up, get back to the starting position any way you feel comfortable.

When you can do one set of 10 you can progress to the next level, always remember to finish the three sets.

Doing this three times a week, it took me three months to work up to ten full ones from very limited upper body strength. Hope it works for you!

Replies

• tmahfouza
    tmahfouza Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I need more upper body strength. Thanks!
  • jmacaroni
    jmacaroni Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I can't do even 1 pushup, never have been able to! I'm def going to try this out. Thank you for posting!
  • NanoReefDiver
    Options
    So legs separated makes them easier? That might be a good way for me to ease into them, thanks!! I'm eventually trying to be able to do 18 real push-ups in order to meet a challenge by my dad. Tough stuff.
  • BerryH
    Options
    So legs separated makes them easier? That might be a good way for me to ease into them, thanks!! I'm eventually trying to be able to do 18 real push-ups in order to meet a challenge by my dad. Tough stuff.
    Yes, and the best thing is it's easily variable, so you can gradually move them closer together until you're ready for the full ones :smile:
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Once you've graduated to the real pushups (or, if you want a challenge with the other forms, but still can't do "real" ones for some reason), checkout http://hundredpushups.com/ . It's a pretty awesome way of getting to be able to do 100 (!) pushups (and can be adapted to the other forms).
  • ratmist
    ratmist Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Awesome post. I'm working on knees now - I haven't yet had the guts (literally) to do the full plank style. Every time I try, I feel my abdomen muscles clenching, and I end up going back on my knees.
  • yanicka
    yanicka Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Bump...I need this I have no upper body strenght
  • BerryH
    Options
    One other thing to bear in mind is the levels are my own perceived level of difficulty. You may find bench push-ups easier than knee push-ups, for instance. Swap them round as suits.
  • Juliane1986
    Juliane1986 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great information! Push up's is definitely a goal for me. I can't even manage one at the moment. Looking forward to the challenge!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Bump...this is something I wanted to work on this summer. Thanks for posting!
  • Sueboo31
    Sueboo31 Posts: 128
    Options
    Thank you so much! I have NEVER been able to do push ups. I do strength training for my arms twice a week so Saturday when I was doing my arms I thought I'd take a stab at push ups again to see if it was any easier now that I have been working out. Nope! I couldn't even do one and I was on my knees. I would REALLY like to accomplish this! I will try what you have suggested. I guess it's kind of like baby steps. :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    yeh i'm still on the wall push up's!! lol sad i know but my arms/shoulders are soooooooooo weak!