Are you serious about getting fit? Let's be friends

Options
5 years ago I started using MFP after being overweight my whole life. I lost almost 100lbs - and weighed 150lbs after two years. Then, I lost my motivation somewhere and 30 lbs crept back. I have been back since before the new year. I had done a lot of cardio before and lost the weight, and didn't lift until much later in my weight loss. This time my goal is fitness and strength but, most importantly, make it a lifestyle change.

A lot of my friends from five years ago became inactive or faded out and I don't have many. I'd love to add some committed people to my friends list.

Replies

• pesigrandi
    pesigrandi Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am serious about losing about 20 pounds and getting fit slowly so as to create permanent habits. I love lifting weights but as I age I find that it's more difficult to lift much poundage due to joint pain.

Like you I want to create a permanent lifestyle change in regards to weight and fitness. As a naturally thin person for the majority of my life I never had to worry about it and it's still a bit of a work in process to learn these new skills.
  • GemmaM_x
    GemmaM_x Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I've logged every day since 2nd January.

I, too, lost weight then regained, rinse and repeat. Each previous time I wasn't doing it solely for me, first it was a comment about my weight gain from my mum, then a stranger commenting on my fat *kitten* and, most recently, crash dieting for the wedding.

This time, I have no other reason for focus than myself. I want to be healthy. I want to be fit. I want to be stronger.

I'm 5'1", 204lb (down from top high of 220lb, starting this time at 214lb). Ultimate goal of 125lb at the moment, but I'll reevaluate at 140lb.

I eat between 1400-1600 calories on weekdays, increasing to around 1850-1950 at weekends, macros at 40c/30p/30f. I exercise most days, walking to and from work, gym, strength training, bootcamp classes, kickboxing, but I am kind to myself if I need a rest day.

I'm happy to hear from commited new friends, and I'm happy to be a cheerleader.
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Add me! I've been back on the fitness wagon since December. I belong to the Y and do lots of group fitness classes, I also strength train with a personal trainer and I try to run a mile a few times a week but I hate running. Have 40 lbs to lose.
  • suzmaxim
    suzmaxim Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm much older at 38 but know the struggle all too well. Top weight was 270 (5'8") years ago. Lost 75lbs. Have put back 40 because I got lazy and complacent. Now starting at 243.5 and am dedicated to getting my health back. Tired of being tired and sore and hating that my clothes don't fit. Had to get rid of an entire wardrobe.
  • Lovetheo
    Lovetheo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm really serious this time around. I realized that it's time to get rid of this awful weight and start loving myself. Im going on a cruise in July, I want to lose some weight then and love my new lifestyle. Feel free to add me!
  • doonied
    doonied Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I may one of the oldest on here at 41...and reaching my goals are becoming harder and harder
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm 27 and a fitness junky! I workout 6 times a week including spin, yoga, kickboxing, weight lifting, I love it all. Feel free to add me for support. Focusing on body fat versus weight is a good step for lasting change. :smile:
  • RinconMorales620
    RinconMorales620 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It's definitely hard to get back on routine, but the journey is exciting. I'm on the same route right now. Had a good run, got comfortable and gained some weight. I call it my bulk.. lol now I'm trying to cut it and keep getting closer to a healthier and optimal bw.
  • Myki3012
    Myki3012 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I've reached my goal (and went well below) and have been focused on trying to tone my core. Pretty hard when it's all impromptu without a gym but hopefully that'll change in the future. Your choice if our current objectives somewhat align. Best of luck!
  • DaveDR7
    DaveDR7 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi
    52 years young! Male from U.K.
    After finding my Drinks table (stomach) was becoming perfectly round, my glass would not balance correctly anymore, something had to change.
    On the 9th Jan, I revisited MFP (last time was back in 2011, since then I've hit 251lb and knew something had to change. Diets just didn't work for me, I needed a fitness regime too, so I think I've found the hardest one to do - 'Insanity'.
    You really have got to be a little crazy even to try it and to be honest, I haven't hit any of the targets yet and probably don't expect too.
    The first fitness test (20 mins) took me way over an hour to complete, having to rest my aching lungs, my 2nd week fit test was done just 5 mins over the expected time though and all exercises were improved on. That was a biggee for me.
    All this is done without going the gym, saving me money and time travelling and memberships etc.
    2 weeks on, I'm down nearly 8lb (243lb) , but I know the hard work to keep it up is just starting!
    Hoping to start some weight training after another couple of weeks, just to try and maintain some muscle mass.
    So anyone feel free to add, message me your goals and hopefully I can help you keep on track and if you can do likewise that will be great!
  • justinthetree
    justinthetree Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Justin, in my twenties, from the UK. Weighing in at an embarrassing and ashamed weight of 266lb. I've always been big even as a child and always been sick of it.

I work as Paramedic and recently found myself in a position where I was so short of breath after getting to a patient after a 15 minute walk round a lake that I was so guilty and ashamed because if that patient had been seriously unwell (thankfully they weren't!) I would have been useless because I was so short of breath! That's when I finally made the commitment to change, although I've tried before I'm determined to do it now.

I've recently come out of the long term unhappy relationship and moved away from some of the struggles in my life, although they feel like excuses they were massive barriers to weight loss and living healthy for me. I started at the gym just before Christmas using a programme customised for me and have an hours personal training session a week. I try and get to the gym at least three times a week, sometimes tricky with shift work but I also try and swim and recently started running, with my goal to not only lose weight but take part in some kind of running event this year such a 5k or 10k, something I've never done.

With weight loss comes confidence, something I lack. Sure, when I'm in my green uniform in my yellow ambulance I'm confident in my ability and my job. But in civy street I lack confidence and self esteem, again something I'm ashamed of. I'm hopeing it will come hand in hand with one another!

It's not going to be easy but I want to get to my first goal of 196lb and take it from there!

Always looking for people to share the journey with!
  • ozgurvh
    ozgurvh Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Anyone can add me for support, motivation and sharing :)