What vitamins and why.

Options

Replies

• Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Fish oil and Prenatal even though I'm baby free. Those vitamins are AWESOME for my hair and nails.. even skin! I read somewhere that athletes have been known to take them, even men. Course, this was back when I did have babies. But there is no denying that even with hypothyroidism my hair is beyond amazing.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    "Healthy hair skin and nails" supplement and a perimenopause supplement
  • ozgurvh
    ozgurvh Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I don't use supplemental vitamin, İ eat enough herb and red meat, so not necessary.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,989 Member
    Options
    I take monthly b-12 injections because I have b-12 anemia.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I try to remember to take boots A-Z multi vitamins or Centrum chewable multi vitamins. I do this because I am fully aware that my diet is not perfect.
  • Madwife2009
    Madwife2009 Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Folic acid to counteract effects of another drug
    Vitamin B complex (low B12)
    Vitamin D & Calcium (increased risk of osteoporosis)
    Spatone iron supplement low serum ferritin).

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    B12 and Omega 3 fish oil (recommended by doctor for a health condition); fiber and calcium (only on days when I don't make my goals through nutrition.)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    D3 and B12 because my bloodwork shows I'm deficient in them. Iron periodically because I'm borderline anemic. And calcium because I'm a long time depo user with a family history of osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I take Vitamin D because my doctor recommended it when she noticed that my skin was the same pale shade all over in the middle of summer (aka no tan), because I am not a fan of the sun - it makes me feel itchy for some reason. Since I avoid the sun I need the boost, plus in winter it is an issue since the days are shorter and it is too cold to be out for long periods a lot of the time.

I also take a probiotic as she recommended trying it after I had recurring "female issues" (won't get gross) and she had a few other patients it had helped - she said to try it and see if it worked for me and it did, and honestly that is the one I actually want to hug her for recommending (because the recurrent issues were horrible).
  • moonglowfae999
    moonglowfae999 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a lot but I take Vitafusion Women's Complete Multivitamin Gummies because I don't always eat a balanced diet so I take them in case I'm missing any vitamins. Fiber Select Gummies and Organic Digest Tone Triphala Plus for my digestive system to keep things moving and I sometimes take an Echinacea for my immune system because of allergy or flu season. I sometimes drink Ensure Plus which is a nutritional drink with lots of vitamins, calories and protein because I need to gain weight but I can't really drink it everyday because it's so thick and sweet. I don't mind the taste but it makes me feel uncomfortably full and it's just too sweet. I normally take Claritin because I get morning allergies but I haven't been taking it because we ran out.
  • Jenpiddles
    Jenpiddles Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Per my primary care orders- Vitamin D, blood test shows deficiency
    Per my cardiologists order- Magnesium to regulate my heart rhythm.

Unless you are deficient in a vitamin or mineral, taking supplements just produces expensive pee.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    MSM supplement

Bout it

I take it for my chronic pain and also for the benefit of my skin and hair
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    I take 2 multivitamins a day -- just because -- and 10,000 IU Vit D every other day (10k/day was too much) because I had a Vit D deficiency. It's reported that:

Vitamin D has multiple roles in the body, helping to:

Maintain the health of bones and teeth
    Support the health of the immune system, brain and nervous system
    Regulate insulin levels and aid diabetes management
    Support lung function and cardiovascular health
    Influence the expression of genes involved in cancer development.

See: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/161618.php

Vitamin D is a very common worldwide problem. If you have any of the symptoms or have never been tested for it before, I strongly suggest you do so.

See: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/05/28/vitamin-d-deficiency-signs-symptoms.aspx
    and http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/87/4/1080S.full
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Rainbow Light Women's One food based multivitamin, to fill any holes in my diet. It also has some probiotics. Love these, can tell when I am not taking them.

Fish oil. Prefer NatureMade burpless, they are USP certified and no fishy taste

Citracal. Calcium supplement that doesn't have to be taken with food.

Vitafusion fiber gummies, Metamucil capsules or smooth orange powder.... to supplement fiber as necessary.
  • fupthesides
    fupthesides Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Magnesium and B vitamin because my neurologist said to for migraines.
    Multivitamin because my GP says to.
    Fiber pills every once in a while because it helps you go.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    I take an active womens multi , for extra nutrients , fish oil for my skin and healthy fats, a hair skin and nails vitamin, calcium for my bones since I lift and it helps, and a fiber if I don't happen to get enough that day.
  • mom2colbyj
    mom2colbyj Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D Ultra- Per Dr. Order
    Iron Chelate- Per Dr. Order
    Ultra B12-Folate- Per Dr. Order
    5-HTP- For Depression
    Vitamin B6- it binds with the 5-HTP so they need to be taken together
    Ginko Biloba- Depression and memory
    Vitamin C- because I'm currently fighting a cold
    Zinc- same reason as Vitamin C
    I also do a tablespoon of local honey for the local pollen antibodies.

I know a lot of people don't believe in herbs, vitamins, and supplements but I have gone from being on 8 prescription medications to none for my depression, anxiety, and Meniere's Disease and that was just by adding 3 supplements into my diet. The first 3 I take because I had the sleeve gastrectomy and I don't like the bariatric vitamins and I've been taking them for over 3 years now while being monitored by my PCP. To each their own and this is what works for me.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Centrum Women's multi (had the highest calcium content I could find in a multi and didn't want to take 2 large pills. osteoporosis is common on my mother's side), vitamin D (Buffalo, NY), iron.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Men's One a Day...basically as insurance. 5,000 IU vitamin D because I'm deficient otherwise. I take a magnesium supplement which has helped immensely with cramping issues I was having and generally tight muscles. Krill oil for Omega3.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    D 5000-10000 Because I work inside at a desk.

Just because/in case
    B Complex
    C Complex
    Multivitamin for men(over 40)

Because Joints
    Glucosamine/Joint Complex
    Fish oil
    Turmeric/Cinnamon(when I remember to reorder them)
    SamE

Because Allergies/Heartburn
    Nexium
    Allegra
    Mucinex-D

Because Heart
    CoQ10

Because Swole
    Creatine