Protein Shakes

Options
Good morning All,

Has anyone ever incorporated protein shakes into their weight loss regimen? A salesperson at GNC introduced me to the GNC Total Lean - Lean Shake. It's very tasty but I wonder how nutritious and healthy it is. I'm a little cynical when it comes to man made "healthy" substitues. I plan to substitue a shake for one meal a day for a couple of weeks to see how things go.

If these types of shakes are part of your plan, could you tell me how your experience has been? What were the results? Any pros/cons in doing this? How long did you do it? etc, etc etc!!!!! I can always take it back if I don't like it:wink:

Thanks!!
Chell

Replies

• TxAngel79
    TxAngel79 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    i have used the Total Lean protein shake and it helped me through the day. It actually tastes really good. A trick is to drink plenty of water with it! Good Luck!
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Hi! I went online and checked the ingredients of the ones that I was interested in. SILICA is the product that you look out for!! Good luck!!
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    What are the ingredients in your shake? I do Shakeology which is not a protien drink. It has protien as well as 70 other natural ingredients. I use for meal replacement and or a snack depending on my calories for that day.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I'd say a good percentage of us do. I would also recommend not to use GNC... it's over priced :)
  • amyannie
    amyannie Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i just started using a protein shake about a week ago for breakfast to see if it would help me with my 3 month long plateau and as of yesterday i have already lost a pound without changing anything else!
  • tmd01029
    tmd01029 Posts: 12
    Options
    I do use protein shakes on occasion. I will add one to my diet if I have a very heavy/ taxing workout or if my protein intake for the day is low. Never used the GNC product. My product of choice is Jay Robb's.
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    My own protein shake I have after working out every time.
    -1 med banana
    -1 cup of milk
    -1-3 tablespoons of Nestle Milo
    -1 scoop of Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein

Shakeology is great too.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    i am partial to body fortress, just cause thats what i tried and liked the taste of , though can't find my favorite flavor lately.
    i use them in place of some meals when don't want to eat, but don't want to skip.
    or for snacks like i will make one up drink half mid morn, then half later
  • shadowedgrove
    shadowedgrove Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife. I did my own research on the company first but Ive had great success as long as I dont go back to eating like I used to (which Ill admit I sometimes do- then I see it on the scale and in how I feel). I mix the flavors with fruit and milk in a blender for a giant smoothie that keeps me from thinking about food for the hour it takes me to drink it. I know other people like to down it quickly so they can get on with their lives. I like to savor it.
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    Options
    This is the brand I use (most of the time) and this is why/how it works to help rebuild muscle tissue after exercise. http://www.wheygoldstandard.com/howitworks/

And I usually get it from bodybuilding.com
  • shadowedgrove
    shadowedgrove Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    SILICA is the product you look for... a little confused. Do you want it in the shake or you do NOT want it in the shake?

Thanks
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    What are the ingredients in your shake? I do Shakeology which is not a protien drink. It has protien as well as 70 other natural ingredients. I use for meal replacement and or a snack depending on my calories for that day.

I do Shakeology too. It is my breakfast most days (I scoop Shakeology, 4oz skim milk, and 1 Tbsp peanut butter).
  • daisymae25
    daisymae25 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I usually drink protein shakes on only my workout days, but I've had good results with building muscle and recovering faster from workouts. As far as weight loss, I don't really see lbs lost, just inches really.

I use the Just Be Natural brand...yes, it's a bit pricey, but they're seriously the best-tasting shakes you can have without using only water, and not have that chalky taste. I love them. www.jbn.com
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Yup, my doctor has me on a regimen of 50g protein every 3 hrs while I'm awake. Which is pretty much impossible *without* protein shakes. But it has worked well for me, 30lb in 4 months so far.

My favorite is the Syntrax Nectar brand. They have no carbs or sugars, a very wide variety of flavors, and they mix up well without being gritty. I love mixing a scoop of capuccino-flavor powder with a cup of coffee and a handful of ice & enjoying that guilt-free while my friends are drinking expensive, sugar-filled Starbucks drinks in the morning.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I do not take additives for weight loss but I do drink protein shakes when i lift weights to provide the first response to muscle repair. I take gu during long runs to recover lactic acid but nothing beyond this.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I don't use the shakes. I was in GNC one day and the salesperson was pitching it too me but when I asked him if it had artificial sweetener and he said they all do I said no thanks. I don't eat anything with artificial sweetener. I just don't trust that stuff to not do some kind of harm somewhere along the way.
  • tmd01029
    tmd01029 Posts: 12
    Options
    Jay Robb's has no artifical sweetener.
  • ibrwrng79
    ibrwrng79 Posts: 1
    Options
    I do make protein shakes but I use pure protein powder that has no fillers, artificial sweeteners or flavors. The brand I use is Bioplex nutrition 100% pure Wpi Natural. That brand was recommended in a book I read because of it pureness: 20 grams of protein in a 22.2g scoop. I did go to GNC to find a protein powder there but they contain so many fillers I just ended up ordering the Bioplex brand online.

The benefit of using an unflavored protein powder is that you're not locked in to that flavor. You can add variety. My favorite one is probably chocolate peanut butter banana. For snacks, I'll do 1tsp instant coffee, 1/4 c water, 1/4c 1% milk or almond milk, and 2tsp almond butter...189 cal snack that's an almond mocha latte without the cost or calories of Starbucks.

I do find the smoothies extremely effective when I'm replacing a meal or two and/or snacks with them. They seem to jumpstart a stall in weightloss or get you back on track from a not-good-for-me-meal or indulgence.