Thanks PCOS, for the spare tire

fbmandy55
fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
edited September 30 in Motivation and Support
I found out I had PCOS about a month after I strted MFP. My doctor told me that because I had PCOS it would be harder to lose weight and because of the increased male-pattern hormones I had, I tend to carry more weight through my midsection. I've always had thinner legs and arms than the rest of my body so I believed him, plus being 5'9" my legs were already kind of long. Now that I'm down 29lbs, I feel like I look like I'm wearing an innertube under my shirt! My legs have gotten much thinner, my arms are toned but I still have the belly and love handles! This makes the issue of finding pants that aren't too baggy through the hips and legs even worse. Anyone else with PCOS built like me and have this issue?

Replies

• ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    My midsection is the worst part! ... it drives me insane, but I can usually get that down during a low carb spree... if I follow low carb for awhile, I notice my midsection starting to go down. I have a smaller bottom portion as well, smaller legs, no butt... but it loos like I have 2 stomachs thanks to PCOS.
  • Kassielin13
    Kassielin13 Posts: 263
    I have PCOS and am having a hard time losing the weight. My spare tire and love handles have always been "thick" I did lose 2 inches from them but none more yet. And my legs are slim compared to the rest of me lol Having the PCOS really makes things harder!
  • xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Hey Hunny I have PCOS but im the complete opposite! 28 pounds down I have nearly lost my belly but not one measly inch off of my arms or legs! :( We just gott akeep pushing hunny and we will beat it :) xxx
  • Amsily
    Amsily Posts: 11
    I have PCOS as well and did not know this - but now all makes sense! I have the same issue with pants!
  • fbmandy55
    I have PCOS as well and did not know this - but now all makes sense! I have the same issue with pants!

I'm glad I am not alone! If I can find pants with stretch in them that helps a bit. They tend to be slimmer through the legs and butt which I need to keep up with my belly.
  • sauerkrautpolka
    sauerkrautpolka Posts: 266 Member
    YES!!! Ugh. I'm worried that my belly (dunlap) will be the last to go. :( I've already lost 30lbs and have noticed zero difference in the way my shirts/pants fit.
  • fbmandy55
    I have PCOS and am having a hard time losing the weight. My spare tire and love handles have always been "thick" I did lose 2 inches from them but none more yet. And my legs are slim compared to the rest of me lol Having the PCOS really makes things harder!

I lost a couple inches at the beggining and have been at a plateau for about a month. It looks like we are built the same, so frustrating!!
  • lauram1153
    lauram1153 Posts: 145 Member
    hi i have pcos and the frustrating thing is docs say its good for you to loose weight but its extra hard if you suffer from pcos:sad: and it is a fact that your most likely to carry it around your middle. i went to the doctor and they put me on metformin which if taken correctly with proper diet then it helps the symptoms of pcos (including the hair issue) hope this helps
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    I have PCOS too. It really is hard sometimes and is so easy to get discouraged, but when I come back to my senses I remember that eating right and a lot of exercise is key, and WILL eventually widdle our middle...we just can't lose heart. It IS a battle worth fighting.
  • I too have PCOS and struggle with my mid section. I have since lost 25lbs since being diagnosed and am now currently having bloodwork and an untrasound to see if my weight loss decreased the male hormones. Results pending!! I have reached a stand still on the scale but can control my mid section with toning and ab workouts. (still have the inner tube, but smaller) I have adjusted to eating more small meals per day, rather than 3 large meals, this helps to control my insulin that many PCOS sufferers struggle with. I would love to hear what others have to say and some stategies to help me along on my journey.
  • sarah829522
    sarah829522 Posts: 139
    My NSV - I signed up for a 6 week Pilates class, added swimming and continued weight training twice a week and am still figuring out this low GI diet thing, but...

In 6 weeks I've lost 4 1/2" from my waist!

The pilates class is over but I have the moves down now so I can still do them a few times a week.
  • fbmandy55
    hi i have pcos and the frustrating thing is docs say its good for you to loose weight but its extra hard if you suffer from pcos:sad: and it is a fact that your most likely to carry it around your middle. i went to the doctor and they put me on metformin which if taken correctly with proper diet then it helps the symptoms of pcos (including the hair issue) hope this helps

I take Aldactone with my birtch control pill and it has helped my hair and skin issue greatly! My doc said the medicine would not help me lose weight but the more I lose the less my symptoms will be as well.
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Yes to PCOS AND unfortunately to the spare tire :( I started exercising and logging what I eat about a year ago and after a lot of hard work I have had success. Try and watch your carb intake as I notice when i drink more beer and eat more carbs my stomach tends to puff out even more than normal. I also started circuit training twice a week about 6 months ago and have noticed some deflation of the spare tire from that. Keep at it and find what works for you. Losing weight it tough and PCOS only makes it tougher. Good luck!
  • kld4239
    kld4239 Posts: 186 Member
    Yes, it is true that your symptoms lessen the more weight you lose. I can also tell you that for the first time in my life I get my period every month (w/o birth control) AND I ovulate on my own. I had a terrible time getting pregnant with my son a few years ago and it really did a number me healthwise. I got gestational diabetes and preclampcia and was on bed rest for the last 3 months.

I also used to be on Aldactone, high blood pressure meds, etc. and now I only take metformin. I was hoping that one day I would be med-free but my doc says that because of the PCOS I will ALWAYS have to be on metformin. I have decreased my dosage along the way and I have heard of some people that can actually stop taking it but not me.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    my sister has it and is built like an "apple" round in the middle.

and is hairier too, facial, etc.

But girl you put her on a low carb diet, the weight fall off and it all comes from her stomach.

I can't lose an ounce on a low carb diet and I carry my weight in my hips, legs and butt.

Good luck, i'm sure you can keep losing.
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Aye, PCOS has given me a wonderful wobbly belly too - from the waist down to my hips seem to be one clothing size bigger than the rest of me...I'm hoping it'll start going soon and I would like to have a pair of skinny jeans that are actually skinny down my legs lol!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    yup, same here. belly is a ridiculous size compared to the rest of me. lol. no matter how much i lose, it just looks wrong.
  • cjwalker81
    cjwalker81 Posts: 189 Member
    Yep, same here!! I take 2000mg of Metformin a day. I just joined Jazzercise a few weeks ago and trying to be ALOT better with eating and portion sizes and logging my foods. I just called my RE b/c I have had 2 consecutive anovulatory cycles and we are TTC #2 (3 years).

GOOD LUCK!!!
This discussion has been closed.