Meals for one?

Options
lporter229
lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
I make a nice, home cooked meal for myself and my husband almost every night. He will be out of town for work this week, and I usually keep things simple when I am eating alone. What are you favorite EASY meals when you are solo for dinner? I don't mind cooking for myself, but I like to keep the effort at a minimal level. Would love to hear your suggestions. BTW, I am gluten free. I eat meat, but I LOVE vegetables and do not mind meatless meals.

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm recently single and live alone, but I still find myself cooking for two because leftovers make for a great lunch the next day. That said, here are some suggestions that require minimal effort, IMO:

1. Roast chicken is very easy to make. I like Thomas Keller's method because it's simple, requires minimal ingredients, and is delicious. Do that and with the leftovers, make: chicken tacos, chicken salad, enchiladas, chicken sandwich, chicken quesadilla, etc

3. Roasted veg w/ either: steak, chicken breast, or pan fried salmon

3. Vegetable omelette or scramble (using leftover roasted veg from above)

4. Mixed greens salad topped w/ a protein of your choosing

5. Stir fry is fast and you can get creative with your veg and protein choices

6. Pasta (I'm pretty sure there are several gluten free options available)
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    A pre cooked rotisserie chicken will give you a couple of days of meat and you can add a bag of microwave steamed veggies.

"Breakfast for dinner" with an omelette filled with your favourite cheese and veggies.

Something that you like, but he isn't as fond of that you might not make often while he's home and eating with you.
  • BillyAsberry
    BillyAsberry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    4 scrambled eggs and one piece of wheat toast with fat free cream cheese.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Steak and something green all cooked in the same pan is my go-to meal when MrsStealthHealth is out for the night.

One pan to wash.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    It's always smashed avocado on toast with s&p. So yum!
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    burrito-inspired salad!
    - lettuce of your choice
    - diced onion & a bell pepper
    - half a cup of black beans
    - 4 ounces of the protein of your choice (I usually stick with chicken breast)
    - a sprinkling of cheese
    - & a salad dressing that's a combo of salsa + vinegar
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I work from home, so even though I cook dinners for my family of 6, I'm usually making at least one meal a day for just myself. I am GF as well. My family doesn't like fish, so I do that for lunch a few days a week. Sometimes I'm not hungry in the morning, so I'll have breakfast for lunch, it works great for dinner as well. Here are some of the normal things on my planner for this week:

Chicken Salad in a lettuce boat (I always seem to have leftover chicken LOL)
    Fried eggs with sweet potato hash
    Pan cooked salmon with roasted brussel sprouts
    Chicken soup
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Grilled salmon and sautéed asparagus. Takes about 15 min to prep and cook.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone. Lots of good ones!