Want to run but back causing problems!

Options
Hi all,
I need a bit of advice please!
I want to start running but I have had some major problems with my back over the last couple of years and I'm worried about making it worse!
Can anyone give me some advice on what sort of training plan to do? I would mainly being doing treadmill runs to start and then doing some outside (Mainly away from home as we live in a very hilly area).
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks, :smile:

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The couch to 5k program is really good for starting running. But you should check with your Dr to make sure that you won't do damage by running.
  • cammers74
    cammers74 Posts: 45
    Options
    Yep, I second that. Check it out with the Dr first as running can do more harm than good if you're not careful! I ran a half marathon in March after having physio on my knee and ended up doing more damage... you can get some good training plans online though.
  • sheer_abulous
    Options
    If you suffer from back problems, perhaps it might be wise to start swimming first to strengthen the muscles in your back and start with something lighter like walking. walking is less impact on joints and areas that cause you discomfort and you'll burn plenty of calories based on how far/fast you walk. gradually build this up into a run?
  • MissMP
    MissMP Posts: 3
    Options
    Firstly I would get referred to see a physio as they will get to the route of the problem.
    I would also recommend taking up yoga or pilates. Pilates helps strengthen the core muscles which in turn help stop back problems. I tool up pilates for this very reason on the recommendation of my doctor.
    Thirdly ,invest in decent running shoes - go to a running shop and they will film your style of running and advise on the best footwear, otherwise you will do yourself even more damage. It won;t be cheap but it will be more then worth it.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I second the yoga/pilates, as well as good shoes. Also, check your running gait. If your gait is aggravating your back, it's possible you're running wrong.
  • RProhofsky
    RProhofsky Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Find a back doctor, chiropractor, physical therapist, etc that is a runner

Google DEAD BUG EXERCISE and start doing them

Go to a running store and get fitted properly for running shoes with the support YOU need

Run at a SLIGHT incline
    Adjust the length of your stide

Most people with chronic low back problems have tight hamstrings and tight iliopsoas (psoas) muscles
    You can google the stretches for those muscles and start doing them

Start your running program slow and increase slow.

Good Luck on your journey toward health and on your running program,
    Rick
  • hockeywag
    hockeywag Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice!
    I already swim 2-4 times a week and really enjoy it - but I do use it as a cool down after my gym workout, which is normally cross trainer and weights.
    I've already got some proper running trainers but I might pop into one of the shops just to check my gait.
    Also now got appointment to see my chiropractor - luckily my fiance's uncle!
    XX
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Check with your doctor about your back issues before you start running. If you're trying to lose weight, remember weight-loss starts with reducing the amount of calories you put into your body. Losing weight is upwards of 80 percent diet and twenty percent physical activity; therefore, if you decide to walk an hour or so every day, I think that would benefit you more than running at this time. I don't actually know where you're carrying your weight, but if it's in your stomach, then that could help exacerbate your back problems.