Endometriosis

Options
hbrewer8497
hbrewer8497 Posts: 4 Member
edited January 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I have endometriosis and experience major hormonal fluctuations. This causes my eating and energy levels to be a major challenge. I have very high appetite but low energy level at times. Especially when I'm in pain or having hormonal changes. I don't feel like exercising when it feels like I'm being gutted. Does anyone else experience this? Have advice about how to overcome the pain, hormonal problems related to this disease?

Replies

• SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    I was put on Mirena to help treat my endo. It helped tremendously. Motrin is anti inflammotory so it helped with the pain before I got Mirena. I still get the hormones less extreme and the cravings. When it hits I get comfy with Netflix, a heating pad, and some sweet licorice tea to ride it out.
  • somywomy
    somywomy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also have endometriosis. I had surgery about two years ago and have been on some form of birth control ever since in order to modulate my cycles. They have been of significant help with my pain and energy and I wish I tried harder to find a birth control to manage my pain earlier because I might not have had to have surgery at all. I have been on progesterone-only pill and am now on seasonique.
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I dont have endo BUT i am taking a series of hormons to help get pregnant. I understand 100% tho. My food cravings are STUPID! Drink lots of water. Add lemon. Keep carrots or peas on hand! Recently i realised i liked avocado try making guacamole with crackers.. i dont know how girls do it either. Most times tho i dont go over enough for gains and lose the water in a few days. Most days i just give into my urges within reason but only happens for short time. I dont have much help for pain tho. I had really bad pcos as a kid thankfully it tamed down after my daughter was born
  • K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    B12 helps with energy!
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have endo but luckily my bad days are much fewer now that I've lost some weight. On the days that the pain is really bad I give myself a pass to just rest. I try to stay on track with my calories but if I have a major craving that isn't going away I will just go ahead and eat some of what I'm craving.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've had it for 20 years and used to suffe for 3 out of 4 weeks, but luckily I found the coil worked for me. I know how hard it is to exercise but if you can go for a walk I find that helps, but if it's really bad grab a hot water bottle, chocolate and painkillers and settle in bed/sofa. Make sure you get proper pain killers, otc tablets are useless for anything more than mild pain.

Also, I was told not to curl in the foetal position as this can cause more problems.

Hope you feel better soon x

• sketchdoll
    sketchdoll Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have endo and have had success in cutting back on sugars and refined carbs to alleviate pain. I also take bio-identical progesterone supplements in the second half of my cycle to balance out the estrogen dominance, it has made a world of difference. I no longer have painful cramps, acne, or pms. Being active and exercising really helps too. Also, know that during your luteal phase (the second half after ovulation), we will naturally crave more carbs because our body is gearing up for potential pregnancy. The best thing to do is understand these cravings and feed your body healthy carbs like sweet potatoes and carrots instead of junk food (easier said then done though!) And know that there is nothing wrong with going easy on yourself on those days you feel like crap. You just have to be patient with yourself. And any changes you make to your diet and exercise will take about 3 months for your hormones to balance out, so keep that in mind too. Hope things get better for you soon, I've been there :neutral: