I can't stop snacking in the evening

Options
I've been trying to lose weight for a while and managed to lose 2 stone but now I seem to be stuck. I'm 180lb but can't shift anything. I've come to the conclusion it's my evening snacking. I do really well all day but as soon as my kids go to bed it's like something takes over and all I want to do is eat. I try having porridge, a cup of tea, an apple etc but I still feel starving after I've eaten it, then I end up going for a couple of biscuits or a pack of crisps. Why am I feeling like I'm starving?, I've tried a pint of water etc too but that doesn't work either, help!

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I find that if I eat a light breakfast, I can use those remaining calories for an evening snack. I also plan it out ahead, so my hungry-brain isn't the one making the decision of what to eat. :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I like eating at night so I purposely plan most of my calories to be eaten late... After 730!

If you're eating and still feel hungry, could it be boredom from having the kids asleep and not needing you to do things for them? Perhaps get a game or book, or hobby you enjoy?
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I pre-log and allocate a treat type snack for at the end of the day. It's often something like a piece of cake or come chocolate.

I've also noticed that ensuring that my evening meal contains a big chunk of protein helps me to stay fuller for longer.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    A little trick I like to use: Simply leave 300 calories from your day for the night. I usually drink a nice smoothie around 2 hours before sleep that has some fibers, protein, chia seeds etc in it. It keeps me full for sure, without the need of snacking.
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    As others have stated, just plan for it. Make sure you have a certain number of calories to spare AFTER you've eaten dinner. My diary is set up so that I have a "meal 4." this "meal 4" is simply a placeholder for stuff I eat in front of the tv!

If you force yourself to eat in a way that doesn't work for you, none of your accomplishments will stick, IMO.
  • Domomallow
    Domomallow Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Evenings are tough for me too. The only thing I can think to suggest (other than saving calories for it- like everyone else said) is just to do something else to distract yourself.

I find that idle minds shift to food... at least mine does. So I am better off getting up and exercising or painting or something. If I sit and watch television- I will inevitably eat.

Also- if you exercise, you have a few extra calories to eat something with protein in it... it will help with recovery and also make you feel fuller.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Sounds like stress relief/reward eating. Although you probably are hungry since you are reducing calories all day.

I *know* that I need something at the end of the day, so I budget for a Skinny Cow Ice Cream sandwich, peanut butter and banana, etc. I'm often still wanting for more after that but I have to be firm with myself and just say no.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Danni1289 wrote: »
    I've been trying to lose weight for a while and managed to lose 2 stone but now I seem to be stuck. I'm 180lb but can't shift anything.
    Have you adjusted your calorie goal after losing weight?
    I've come to the conclusion it's my evening snacking. I do really well all day but as soon as my kids go to bed it's like something takes over and all I want to do is eat.
    If you like to eat in the evening, save up calories for it. Or structure your eating differently.
    I try having porridge, a cup of tea, an apple etc but I still feel starving after I've eaten it, then I end up going for a couple of biscuits or a pack of crisps.
    That's basically carbs and a little fat. Have you tried something with more balance and containing protein, fiber, fat? For instance apple+nut butter, carrot+cream cheese, toast+egg?
    Why am I feeling like I'm starving?
    Are you starving? Are you hitting your fat, protein and fiber goals? Are you eating food you like?
    I've tried a pint of water etc too but that doesn't work either, help!
    Water helps if you are thirsty, but not if you are hungry.

If you are certain you have eaten enough and well enough, you're probably just tired or bored, or both. Take a walk or go to bed, play a game, paint your toenails. More food is not going to make you feel better.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Danni1289 wrote: »
    I've been trying to lose weight for a while and managed to lose 2 stone but now I seem to be stuck. I'm 180lb but can't shift anything. I've come to the conclusion it's my evening snacking. I do really well all day but as soon as my kids go to bed it's like something takes over and all I want to do is eat. I try having porridge, a cup of tea, an apple etc but I still feel starving after I've eaten it, then I end up going for a couple of biscuits or a pack of crisps. Why am I feeling like I'm starving?, I've tried a pint of water etc too but that doesn't work either, help!

Speaking from my own experience alone, (because I do the same damn thing) it's not hunger. It's HABIT. I have to either get outside and walk, move around, exercise, or do something else with my hands. What it is that you are doing while you are eating? Watching TV? Playing on the computer? If so, you have to stop doing that, or find another activity to do while you are doing it. You have to break the habit.
  • jbeth30
    jbeth30 Posts: 42 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I have also had experience with this. As fit mom suggested it is a habit. The more times you do it the more it becomes a habit but you can break it. Once you realize it's just a habit and it can be broken And can lose its power over you.make sure you're getting enough satisfaction during the day too. If you're not truly eating what you want then it can make you feel unsatisfied at the end of the day causing you to want to snack and snack. That one was a biggie with me. With a small child I was thinking about His needs all of the time instead of my own. It causes you to just want to eat pleasurable foods at the end of the day. Go to bed earlier. Focus on taking a nice warm shower and reading a book. Or if you like to watch TV maybe just watch it in your room instead of the living room where the kitchen is. As the others have said make sure you leave enough calories for the end of the day to have a bigger meal for dinner and maybe a few extra calories for after dinner time. This makes a huge difference for me. Most times to when we eat at night time it's because we are tired. We don't have as much willpower at night time. It's important that you get enough sleep. With small children I know that's hard to do but that should be a number one thing you need to think about to help break the habit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I pre-log and allocate a treat type snack for at the end of the day. It's often something like a piece of cake or come chocolate.

I've also noticed that ensuring that my evening meal contains a big chunk of protein helps me to stay fuller for longer.

Pretty much what I do. I would also recommend to the OP if she isn't a big morning eater, to just shift her eating times to incorporate more calories at night, or look into interim fasting (14:10,16:8, etc..).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Make sure it is hunger, not just boredom. A lot of us got accustomed to eating while idle at the end of the day. If in front or computer/TV, [1] can try a rule where you are not allowed to eat while doing either of those idle time activities (i.e. no eating unless you turn the TV off while you eat - no mindless snacking while paying attention elsewhere), or [2] find and stock bulky very low calorie items that take a while to eat, or [3] find a hobby to keep your hands busy (some people like knitting for this purpose). If actual hunger, take a look at macros and find a snack that rounds it out (maybe you could use more protein or fat).