not working out enough

Options
Today marks day 10 of my lifestyle change. I have changed to the Paleo diet and going to the gym or mountain biking everyday! When I go to the gym all I do is Elliptical....I "run" the pre-programmed weight-loss, which is a 28 minute "run", where you go 4 minutes easy (crossramp 4, resistance 2) then 4 minutes harder (crossramp 10, resistance 8), repeating that for 28 minutes, with a 5 minute cool down after.....Yesterday I did the 28 minutes, started it again before the cool down, so I did the workout twice then the 5 minute cool down....when I go mountain biking, I just bike the trails here on base, and try to push myself as hard as I can the whole time....
But I don't feel like that enough working out, I don't do any weights or anything else....I'm really trying to lose my belly fat and my thunderous thunder thighs....any suggestions on what workouts are effective that I should be doing?

Replies

• jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    you need to incorporate some weight resistance training into all the cardio you are doing
    buliding and exercising your muscles will burn more calories, and then burn more fat
    you should warm up, then do some resistance work, then do your cardio
    :)
  • Meg28
    Meg28 Posts: 59
    Options
    Give it some time, if you don't see any results in 4 - 6 weeks then reevaluate. It wouldn't hurt to add more, but what you are doing sounds like a solid hr or close to it. Mountain Biking is extremely vivorous and will get you into shape fast!
  • ziggy55311
    ziggy55311 Posts: 20
    Options
    I agree with jagoochie. Get some weight training in there. Get a session with a personal trainer so they can teach you technique if you haven't lifted before.
  • natekorpusik
    natekorpusik Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    you need to incorporate some weight resistance training into all the cardio you are doing
    buliding and exercising your muscles will burn more calories, and then burn more fat

Agree completely. The only thing I do different is I do cardio first, but this works for me and not most people. Best of luck.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options

Agreed. You need to lift weights at least 3 times a week to burn the fat. Also, lifting weights changes the shape of your body. Boosts your metabolism. You also continue to burn calories when you are done.
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Definitely add some strength training in there. I was doing just a diet when I first started and although it worked, I realized I didn't want to lose weight and not get toned. It also helps your body burn more calories.
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Weights!! Ask for help and guidance at your gym if you are unsure of how to use them properly.

I have been weight training four days a week along with cardio for at least 45 minutes a day for six days of the week. I haven't lost much weight lately but the inches are flying off and I have really noticed the difference in how my body looks and how I feel throughout each day. I also *feel* (might just be me) that the weight training has helped my cardio go more smoothly each day.
  • BrandiLovesPaleo
    Options
    awesome! thanks everyone :) I will definitely start adding some weights in...