New to the site, but not to the rollercoaster

Options
Hello all, My name is Drew, and I am just starting to get back on track after a bit of a slump.

I figure this looks like a good site to become a member of, and I guess I could use some extra incentive to stay on track. A little backround...

I was a 30 year old 3 pack a day smoker who weighed about 275 pounds. I quit smoking cold turkey and gained weight steadily until about 3 years ago, when my digital scale just read ERR one morning. We both hit rock bottom then. At that point I bought myself a bike and started to ride, as well as got a gym member ship. 2 years ago I hit 100 pounds lost, all on my own. Nothing but eating right and exercising. The in October of 2007 I ran in the Army 10 miler, and then I quit for the winter. And gained 45ish pounds back.

Started bike commuting last year, lost about 20 pounds over the summer, stopped in October. This January I had gained 15 of that back. I am now completely fed up with myself. And my pants.

I am on a better diet, and getting into the gym 3-5 days a week, and things are looking up.

Once upon a time I was an Infantryman who struggled to stay above 200 pounds on a 5000 calorie a day diet. At six and a hlaf feet tall anything under 210 and you can see all my ribs. Wish I had that problem now lol

Anyway, I hope to hang around for a while. I do have a bit of experience with working out and stuff so maybe I can pass off some of what worked for me. I also hope to learn from you all, and perhaps stay motivated for good this time.

Replies

• drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    Hello all, My name is Drew, and I am just starting to get back on track after a bit of a slump.

I figure this looks like a good site to become a member of, and I guess I could use some extra incentive to stay on track. A little backround...

I was a 30 year old 3 pack a day smoker who weighed about 275 pounds. I quit smoking cold turkey and gained weight steadily until about 3 years ago, when my digital scale just read ERR one morning. We both hit rock bottom then. At that point I bought myself a bike and started to ride, as well as got a gym member ship. 2 years ago I hit 100 pounds lost, all on my own. Nothing but eating right and exercising. The in October of 2007 I ran in the Army 10 miler, and then I quit for the winter. And gained 45ish pounds back.

Started bike commuting last year, lost about 20 pounds over the summer, stopped in October. This January I had gained 15 of that back. I am now completely fed up with myself. And my pants.

I am on a better diet, and getting into the gym 3-5 days a week, and things are looking up.

Once upon a time I was an Infantryman who struggled to stay above 200 pounds on a 5000 calorie a day diet. At six and a hlaf feet tall anything under 210 and you can see all my ribs. Wish I had that problem now lol

Anyway, I hope to hang around for a while. I do have a bit of experience with working out and stuff so maybe I can pass off some of what worked for me. I also hope to learn from you all, and perhaps stay motivated for good this time.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are or have been on the same rollercoaster. Congrats on quitting smoking and all your accomplishments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is great site and can help you get back on track!!! You've done it before you can do it again and better!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jessicasager
    Options
    congratulations on everything you've accomplished already. if you've done it, then you can do it. my bf quit smoking as well. and his normally 180 body balooned to about 240! he and i are both doing this together. it's a great place to get inspiration and support. and you're going to be inspiration for someone else someday too. good luck!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP, you will love this site, it is so very motivational, supportive and helpful. I absoultly love it. I just wanted to wish you good luck with your weight loss journey, You can do this.
  • drewzaun
    drewzaun Posts: 111
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging words all! I can't believe how busy this site is, incredible.

I am certainly hoping the public arena like this will help keep things moving in the right direction, can't slack off if people are watching!:laugh: