Daily weighers ?

Options
I find my weight varies so frequently ! Especially when I exercise , I feel slimmer but I'm heavier on the scale ! I'm weighing daily to prove it's just fluctuation

Replies

• leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm a Happy Scale user too! I highly recommend it.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    I think you're taking a very smart approach. Once we gain insight into how and why our weight fluctuates on a daily basis, we become less emotionally attached to the number on the scale.

Many, including myself, find it helpful to use a weight trending app to track our daily weigh ins. Apps like Happy Scale (iOS), Libra (Android) and trendweight.com (web based) take that data and create a trend line, which is usually based on a multi-day moving average. Observing that trend line over time gives us a pretty accurate gauge of how effective our weight loss plan actually is.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I think you're taking a very smart approach. Once we gain insight into how and why our weight fluctuates on a daily basis, we become less emotionally attached to the number on the scale.

Many, including myself, find it helpful to use a weight trending app to track our daily weigh ins. Apps like Happy Scale (iOS), Libra (Android) and trendweight.com (web based) take that data and create a trend line, which is usually based on a multi-day moving average. Observing that trend line over time gives us a pretty accurate gauge of how effective our weight loss plan actually is.

What he said.
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    WOW, I learned a lot from this thread. Thank you guys!! I can get discouraged by the #s on the scale and start binge eating easily... These information helps a LOT!!
  • drakeshattuck
    drakeshattuck Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Daily is way too much weighing for me. To hold myself accountable, to myself, I weight myself each Friday, at the gym at the same time each week, wearing basically the same amount of clothing before I start the workout. This works for me because I never eat before a workout. I find I have more energy and I feel better working out on and empty stomach. Everyone is different. I weigh in on Fridays. This works for me because the times I'm most likely to exceed my daily goal is over the weekend and if I exceed, say on Saturday night, I've got five more days to earn those back by coming in under. Usually I resist temptation because either I don't want to lose my gains, or , I wasn't happy with where I was at. It's fresh on my mind over the weekend.

I exercise but I never eat back exercise calories. I have a daily caloric goal, and a net calorie goal. Extra exercise is just a bonus. Some people swear by daily weigh-in's. It drives me crazy and discourages me more than encourages me.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Been a daily weigher for years :) I have an android phone so I use the Libra app, which I think is similar to Apple's Happy Scale app? Love seeing all the data and trend lines!
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I love using the Libra app. I'm going camping this weekend and I'm not worried about my food or logging at all, but I'm sad that I'm going to miss 2 data points on my trend :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily and I can easily see how sodium, sleep and steps (in addition to my calories) affects my overall weight
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »
    I love using the Libra app. I'm going camping this weekend and I'm not worried about my food or logging at all, but I'm sad that I'm going to miss 2 data points on my trend :)

I'm the same way! We're moving this weekend and my scale will be in the moving trailer from Friday-Sunday, so I'll be missing 3 weigh-ins/trend points. Very irritating lol :)
  • sfa90
    sfa90 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes I weigh daily!
  • perfectjewel
    perfectjewel Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily - it's fun! When the scale hits lower than it has ever before, it's so exciting! Since I've been losing over the past year, I've learned to not worry at all about high numbers. Sometimes I'll jump up 3+ pounds and other times down 3 pounds in one day, weighing in each morning after a pee and drinking 16 ounces of water. Over time, the numbers get consistently lower, so it's all good! Enjoy! If it's not fun, stop weighing in as often.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Another daily weigher here and Happy Scale logger. Been doing it for nearly two years (though lost a bunch of data when I got a new phone and didn't want to pay to upgrade).

I don't log during holidays so I'm not obsessive in that regard. It's just a tool for me to see the trend over time.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Daily as well. Put into a spreadsheet to keep track and show me my BMI and other things.
  • TriPaulCantRun
    TriPaulCantRun Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily and track on a phone app (Monitor Your Weight). When I first started out I was a weekly weigh-er and found that if I happened to have one of the blips on my weigh day I could get disheartened and it could throw me off course for a couple of days. Doing it daily stops all that as you can see the blip pass much more quickly.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I also weigh daily and track on a phone app (Monitor Your Weight). When I first started out I was a weekly weigh-er and found that if I happened to have one of the blips on my weigh day I could get disheartened and it could throw me off course for a couple of days. Doing it daily stops all that as you can see the blip pass much more quickly.

So much this. This is part of what keeps me weighing in daily (I have several other reasons), but always, in the back of my mind, there's the thought that if I shifted over to occasional weigh-in's I'd hit the high days and miss the low days and get all discouraged.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I am another person who weighs daily and a Happy Scale user.
  • Faye369
    Faye369 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I actually weigh myself morning and night. If I am up more than a couple pounds at night I can use that to analyze my food intake vs energy expenditure for that day as well as strategize for the next. Until I learned to use the scale to my advantage as a tool I was obsessed for all the wrong reasons. I have never heard of the Happy Scale but going to look into it. Have a great day everyone !!