Walking Challenge

Options
I like walking and it tends to be my main form of exercise so I've hunted out my fancy pedometer that tracks how far I walk and how many calories I've burnt and I've challenged myself to walk the equivalent distance from Land's End to John O'Groats which apparently if you go by road not as the crow flies is 874 miles. I'm hoping this will motivate me to get out of bed early and walk to work instead of having a lie in! Today on my first day of the challenge I've walked 2.766 miles.

exercise.png

Replies

• GypsyRose25
    GypsyRose25 Posts: 407
    Options
    Great job! And what a wonderful idea for a challenge!
  • JoyK76
    JoyK76 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Great job! I too love walking as my main form of exercise. There is something about getting outdoors that invigorates me. I wish you well on your walking challenge. I wish I could walk to work (its only 8 miles each way) but the 90 degree temps in the morning pretty much deter me from that. :(
  • reammi
    reammi Posts: 70
    Options
    I also love challenges and I'm a very avid walker. Last year I challenged myself to walk 30 miles a week x 52 weeks = 1560 miles. I started in April when the weather was very cooperative. I wasn't really thinking about what would happen in the winter months as I live in NJ. I joined my gym at work and was able to use the treadmill 4 days a week (I telecommute on Monday's), but the other 3 days I walked outside. Yup, in the rain, in the snow, in the below zero temperatures - yup I walked thru it all. As the miles piled up I refused to quit. I am happy to report that I ended up walking 1650 miles and I am very proud of my accomplishment. However, this year I just couldn't make another commitment :)) I applaud you and wish you well. You can do it :)) Best of luck to you.
  • jagoochie
    jagoochie Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    walking is great exercise!
    keep it going!!
  • Cakeismyenemy
    Options
    Thank you! I find I really need something to aim for to keep me motivated especially with exercise! :glasses:
  • triski73
    triski73 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this idea! I have been so focused on running to train for a 5k until I hurt my lower back almost 3 weeks ago. I haven't really done anything since, but I think I need to do something like this!
  • Cakeismyenemy
    Options
    It's good knowing I have an aim, I was going to try to walk the same length as the GReat Wall of China at first but since that's over 5000 miles I thought I should start off with something a bit smaller!
  • Aliena
    Aliena Posts: 13
    Options
    Walking to work? That is a long walk in a morning! Wear your Easytones, you really will have the most toned backside in the UK then - Lol.

Good luck with the challenge anyway!
  • bex879165
    bex879165 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I love walking too!! Have you put a time limit on this or are you just keeping going until you've done it?? I try to do 3 - 4 miles a day at least 5 days a week. I'm up for the challenge!! Good luck!! :-)
  • Cakeismyenemy
    Options
    I don't have a time limit, I'll just keep going until I've done it...but I forgot to take my pedometer out with me today which was clever!
  • Cakeismyenemy
    Options

exercise.png
  • Cakeismyenemy
    Options

exercise.png
  • Cakeismyenemy
    Options

exercise.png
  • Cakeismyenemy
    Options

exercise.png
  • Imilie
    Imilie Posts: 2
    Options
    Everyone sounds like they are doing so great. I really need to pick up walking because I seriously injured my shoulder (Lat/Trap and all surrounding muscles!) so I can't run anymore. I just get so bored with walking and give up after like 10 minutes on the treadmill. Walking is literally the only thing my Physical Therapist will allow me to do but I am just so unmotivated with it because I'm used to doing hard exercises. Anyone out there have a similar situation or know of anyways to make walking more fun? I've been pretty much sedentary for the past 7 months and have finally quit moping around about my pain and decided to get back to being healthy. Any help would be great!!
  • Cakeismyenemy
    Options
    I find walking more interesting if I'm going somewhere, like today I walked to a craft shop and back. It was about 5 miles in total but I bought myself something nice and the weather was good so it didn't seem so boring.

Another trick I use is listen to a really interesting podcast or something on my ipod which makes the time go much faster...although I do have to be very careful when I cross the road!

I seem to have a really bad pain in my heel after my long walk today so I might have to ease up on the walking for a while :frown:
  • Cakeismyenemy
    Options
    Walking to work? That is a long walk in a morning! Wear your Easytones, you really will have the most toned backside in the UK then - Lol.

Good luck with the challenge anyway!

I haven't actually made it out of bed in time to walk to work yet lol...I did walk to HobbyCraft and back today though which was quite a treck in this heat!