Anyone using exogenous ketones to support their low carb diet?

Options
I am only on day 2 of using exogenous ketones and am interested to find out if there are folks here that are using them. If so, how is it going? I learned about these from the Julian Bakery website and it made sense to me.

There seems to be two perspectives: 1. from body builders who aren't interested in weight loss but interested in enhanced athletic performance and like the neurological benefits and, 2. those like me who want to lose weight and like the neurological benefits.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Replies

• silverfiend
    silverfiend Posts: 329 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Using them to lose weight is a failing proposition. I highly recommend that you take a few days and read everything you can about dietary ketosis and keytones.

Here's a quick version to get you started.... Keytones are the fuel your body creates from fat (dietary or body) when you run out of carbohydrates. This is called dietary ketosis, not to be confused with diabetic ketoacidosis. Taking exogenous keytones is basically the same as eating in that you are giving your body fuel. The benfit is that excess keytones get excreted instead of being turned into fat stores. Athletes are using keytones as an energy supplement during workouts, but it's not really needed. If your body is in nutritional ketosis, you can create all the keytones you need. If you are still eating a SAD, guess what it's going to do with all that extra "energy" while youre feeding it keytones on top?

One more hint while you are doing this research. Pay attention to WHO is telling you WHAT. I have read lots of websites that sounded really good until you get to the end and find out they are trying to sell you the product.
  • chloe155
    chloe155 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input re weight loss. I need 3 things: 20 pound weight loss, energy, and to lose the brain fog. Have you heard anything about the neurological benefits?
  • BiomedDent
    BiomedDent Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Exogenous ketones like the "raspberry ketone" supplements? They do nothing except lighten your wallet.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried exogenous ketones but love following a ketogenic diet. I've read of people trying to jump start ketosis with the supplements but they're expensive and for me, one day of fasting or 3 days of a 20gm/day of carbs diet gets me into ketosis easily.

I'm sure your body's natural ketones have got to be better than any supplement. In ketosis I feel an increase in mental clarity, more energy, increased focus, improved sleep and overall endurance as well as a markedly improved mood with less anxiety. Do your exogenous ketones claim to give you all those benefits?
  • chloe155
    Options
    Yes, they do and I'm waiting it for it to kick in! I'm on day 4 and tracking food carefully via MFP. I'm at 1000 calories/day with 20 gms carbs, 20 gms fat and the rest is protein (chicken breast or fish). Expect do this for a total of 2 weeks and then ease into more fat and less protein so more traditionally ketogenic.

I appreciate all of your advice. It has been hard for my body to get into ketosis in the past although I have only used the keto strips to test, don't have a blood meter or breath analyzer.

My weight loss for the past 4 days is averaging a pound a day. I exercised aerobically for 45 minutes the first 2 days, don't have the energy yesterday and today. My brain fog is getting better though.
  • fitchick256
    fitchick256 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You are also eating too.much protein to get into ketosis. Be sure to eat at least 50% or more in fat calories. I assume you are not using raspberry ketone, but true exogenous ketone so be sure to include the servings as part of your tracking.

I also agree...reducing calories that much will put you in starvation keotisis. You won't lose weight that way. (I tried for a few months with zero results). There are specific keto calorie counter sites to help you set the right intake.

Good.luck!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    chloe155 wrote: »
    Yes, they do and I'm waiting it for it to kick in! I'm on day 4 and tracking food carefully via MFP. I'm at 1000 calories/day with 20 gms carbs, 20 gms fat and the rest is protein (chicken breast or fish). Expect do this for a total of 2 weeks and then ease into more fat and less protein so more traditionally ketogenic.

I appreciate all of your advice. It has been hard for my body to get into ketosis in the past although I have only used the keto strips to test, don't have a blood meter or breath analyzer.

My weight loss for the past 4 days is averaging a pound a day. I exercised aerobically for 45 minutes the first 2 days, don't have the energy yesterday and today. My brain fog is getting better though.

Your lack of energy is due to electrolyte imbalance (also a symptom of "Keto flu"). You need to increase your sodium intake to a MINIMUM of between 3000 mg - 5000 mg daily! I don't know how tall you are but I'm only a 5' 6.5" tall woman myself and while I was in the weight-loss phase of my journey (which lasted about 22.5 months), I never went that low with respect to daily calories. For me, it was around 1400/day. I don't think I'd be able to get out of bed on 1000/day so yes, do consider eating more and giving your body the fuel it needs to successfully adapt. Also, your fat is WAAAAY LOW and your Protein is WAAAAY HIGH. LCHF focuses on moderate (not high) protein!!

I strongly suggest that at the very least you check out the launch pad and sticky note area of the following main low-carber daily forum group here in MFP. It's where most of us Ketophiles tend to hang out:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/discussions/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • chloe155
    Options
    Yes, I'll read the launch pad and sticky note section tomorrow. Re protein, I had a 120 calorie Quest protein shake for breakfast, 4 oz of chicken breast with lunch and 4 oz of tilapia with dinner. Is that really too much protein? (Yes, will read those beginner notes tomorrow.) TIA.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Op why are you eating so few calories? No wonder you don't have any energy and brain fog :p
  • chloe155
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my calories to 1000-1200 for the first 2 weeks to jump start fat loss.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm trying to keep my calories to 1000-1200 for the first 2 weeks to jump start fat loss.

Just be careful that eating so little doesn't set you up for a binge.

You will jump start your weight loss by eating the calories mfp has given you. There is zero reason to eat such a low amount. I'm pretty sure the amount of calories you're eating is the recommended amount for a toddler. .

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options

You will jump start your weight loss by eating the calories mfp has given you. There is zero reason to eat such a low amount. I'm pretty sure the amount of calories you're eating is the recommended amount for a toddler. .

100% agree!!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've never used exogenous ketones. I've heard they taste like rocket fuel.

Using MCT oils and coconut oil will also boost ketones for those who want more ketones, for therapeutic reasons. Ketones don't help with weight loss, beyond the possible appetite suppression.
    Yes, I'll read the launch pad and sticky note section tomorrow. Re protein, I had a 120 calorie Quest protein shake for breakfast, 4 oz of chicken breast with lunch and 4 oz of tilapia with dinner. Is that really too much protein? (Yes, will read those beginner notes tomorrow.) TIA.

Depends on the person and your goals. If you are going for the neurological benefits from ketones, too much protein can affect ketone production but it needs to be fairly high. Well over 200g for men, and somewhat less for women. I believe minimum needs for women are around 50g of protein per day. It's best to exceed that, and to exceed it by a fair bit if you are exercising.

Phinney and Volek (Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living) suggest setting your protein at maintenance levels (to meet your dietary and exercise needs) and adjusting fat content to meet caloric goals - less fat when losing and more when maintaining.

I tend to keep mine between 70-80 g. Approximately. I'm not overly active beyond walking, a small amount of lifting and some basketball.

Great point. You don't want to make yourself hungry.