Hello, hello!

Options
Hello everyone!

My name is Michelle, but I also go by Ryn online so either is fine. :) I'm a writer, artist, and cosplayer, and work a desk job from home. I live in the Pacific Northwest, and have a soft spot for butterfly gardening and raising caterpillars by hand. I was pretty athletic back when I was in high school and I would love to reclaim that. Back in the day, I played tennis and volleyball, weight trained, and practiced yoga regularly. I've fallen out of the practice of all of those sadly, but I'm aiming to get back into them! I've already started practicing yoga a few times a week again, and once the weather warms up I have a couple friends that I might be able to get to help me practice up my rusty volleyball skills and maybe play a few games of tennis.

I am trying to eat right, too, and really need to work on drinking more water, haha. I noticed that the daily goal for water is at least 56 ounces, and there are days when I barely break 24. (Oops)

I was just invited along to one of the biggest conventions in the area in April, and I am beyond excited for it, but would also really like to be in the best shape I can be by the time it rolls around! I'm inspired to keep going after that, too. There's another summer convention in July, and my younger sister is getting married in September. It might sound strange, but one of my ultimate goals is to be strong enough to pick up most people. I used to be able to, back way when, and it would be awesome if I could get to that point again.

Anyway, I look forward to meeting you all, and thank you for having me here!

-Ryn

Replies

• 5n00py
    5n00py Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Hi Ryn, If your pee is not too dark, then you ARE actually drinking enough water. The idea is to flush your kidneys adequately. Apart from getting dehydrated and the headaches that go with that, your blood is thicker and your heart has to work extra hard to push it through your arteries, your kidneys have to work harder to try and pull the impurities out, and any stones that start to form may not get flushed out..... If you've ever had kidney stones, you never want to go there a second time.....
  • rynthae
    rynthae Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks for letting me know, 5n00py! My dad is just as bad as I am about drinking enough water, and we have both had a few dances with dehydration, so I think that we don't get thirsty as much as other people maybe? But I've been trying to make a conscious effort to drink more. I used to drink less than 10 oz. per day, but I do want to try to aim for the 56 ounces to build good habits. Kidney stones sound really painful! :(
  • luckyme404
    luckyme404 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Greetings! I was scolded from my daughter to drink more water. I tend to get dehydrated easily. So now I make it a habit to drink 2 cups of water before every meal. Not only does it help in limiting my food intake, but I also feel a lot better. Drinking water at room temp is easier than cold water for me. I hope you make your goals you have set for yourself. Having something to work for is a great driving force. Feel free to add me if you wish.
  • rynthae
    Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I should try doing that, too. It might help keep me from eating too much in one go, too, so it sounds like a doubly good idea. :)
  • MikeD0326
    MikeD0326 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi Ryn - the rule of thumb for water is to drink at least 1/2 of your body weight in ounces. Therefore, if you weigh 100 lbs then you should drink 50 ounces. It isn't easy, but when I do it consistently, I notice a favorable difference over and above the fact that I have to visit the restroom more often. Remember, the water content of your muscles is approximately 75% so it's important to maintain proper hydration. A trainer once provided this analogy - if you don't give your muscles adequate water then they will turn into the equivalent of beef jerky! haha Good luck and feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • moniquemallarifitness
    Options
    Hey girl!!! Drink water like your life depends on it! Err, I mean, it actually does depend on it :P In all seriousness though, you got this. It's great that you're getting back into fitness and starting to eat healthier, so kudos to you! It isn't the most easiest thing in the world, but like they say, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

And, totally out of topic, but, I've always wanted to do cosplay, but never did. Who knows? I might end up doing it ;)

Ganbatte kudasai~
  • rynthae
    Options
    Thanks! I'll definitely work on adding to my water intake as much as I possibly can. I'm not sure I can do half my body weight in ounces right off the bat because that's an insanely huge amount of water to me (like 80 oz? I do 32 on a "good" day?), but I figure I'll aim for 56 oz/day this week, then try to up it to 65 oz/day next week, and keep adding as I go. Hopefully if I do it gradually it'll get easier.

Moniquemallarifitness, you should definitely give cosplay a try if you get the chance! :) It is a ton of fun!

Thanks again you guys! :)
  • kerstenk141
    kerstenk141 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi Ryn and welcome! Where in the PNW are you located? Good luck on your journey!
  • rynthae
    Options
    Thanks kerstenk141! I'm over in Eastern Washington. :)
  • LilyMae025
    LilyMae025 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, speaking of water I was told last year by my daughters and my doctor that I had to drink 60ounces of water a day. I started and I do everyday 20oz x 3 it was hard at first, but health is more important. Oct 2016 I was told by doctor to lose weight I was weighing 192 at 5/5 it was bothering my breathing, blood pressure and sleeping with a c-pap, went to doctors Jan 2017, I am down to 174, my goal is 150-160 no higher than that. I also started planet fitness to stay on track,but now my fitness pal is telling me I have to eat more I am confused on this one need some advice please...
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and eat a little more. It is hard to do if you've been so disciplined so far but your body will thank you.

Another thing to check is if your gym exercise is overestimated.
  • boppety
    boppety Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Finally drinking enough water a day made me feel like a new person at my heaviest. It's one of the first of many steps I've made throughout the past few years. I've been off track for 2 months-finally came back to MPG bc it always helps to get back on track. I've so easily gained 6lbs >=[ and I'm 174-striving for 145 before I begin lifting weights. Had tried to lose fat and tone but gave up after a long plateau. I miss how being fit feels. Also trying to do yoga daily. Anyone have good suggestions for beginner yoga?