Ramadan style diet

Options
Firstly, I am not a Muslim. I understand the main focus of Ramadan is spiritual, but am curious as to whether anyone has knowledge or experience of using this approach in a diet and fitness regime. Basically they eat/drink nothing for 12 hours between sunrise and sunset. How this is achieved in a hot environment is beyond me, and I would not suggest going that long without water. I recall once reading that singer Cliff Richard kept in shape by eating one decent meal a day at dinner time... any thoughts..?

Regards, David

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    12 hours of fasting during Ramadan is akin to Intermittent Fasting, or IF as it's known around here. There are several people who do IF and I imagine there's at least one active MFP IF group as well.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There are lots of people who only eat one meal a day (OMAD) or who do intermittent fasting (IF), and there are groups for both if you want to join and learn more...but water is permitted when not eating for all of those.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you are considering this for weight loss there is no special diet required. Do what works best for you as long as you maintain a calorie deficit. Even if you practice IF you can still eat a surplus of calories if you aren't mindful of what you are eating.
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I'm not Muslim, but I think it would be offensive to adopt the name of any religious observance for a diet you're following for weight-control.

Thanks for that thought. There are, as pointed out by others, many different ways to describe this practice. At the time I posted, the Muslim observance of Ramadan, was the nearest thing I could think of. Of course I meant no offence...
  • pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have just started the 16:8 diet. I eat between 2 and 10 pm (can't give up late-night snacks!) and skip breakfast. Apparently there are health benefits to doing this and it's not been too bad so far.
  • Reaverie
    Reaverie Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have just started the 16:8 diet. I eat between 2 and 10 pm (can't give up late-night snacks!) and skip breakfast. Apparently there are health benefits to doing this and it's not been too bad so far.

Is there a health benefit? I hope your right! I HATE breakfast but have forced myself to eat it anyways because of old sayings that you should never skip it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Reaverie wrote: »

Is there a health benefit? I hope your right! I HATE breakfast but have forced myself to eat it anyways because of old sayings that you should never skip it.

Meal timing doesn't matter - you don't need to listen to old wives tales - if you don't like breakfast then don't eat it.
  • sybillabryson
    sybillabryson Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have an MFP friend who swears by this method. Look up intermittent fasting. There's some science behind it but i personally cant do it. I get loony by noon if i dont eat breakfast.
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    Fasting is great for some people. If you want to try it to see how your body reacts to it just be careful until you know how your body will react, some people get low blood sugar when fasting. Fasting works for some and not others.

Being in a Muslim country during Ramadan is wonderful. You can see such dedication it's amazing and you also see some very "hangry" people and very happy people at sundown. Good luck on your journey.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options

I'm not Muslim, but I think it would be offensive to adopt the name of any religious observance for a diet you're following for weight-control.

Thanks for that thought. There are, as pointed out by others, many different ways to describe this practice. At the time I posted, the Muslim observance of Ramadan, was the nearest thing I could think of. Of course I meant no offence...

I'm sorry if it sounded as if I were saying that your initial post was offensive -- I intentionally used "would" not "is" -- was more trying to urge you to use a different name in future, like IF, than scold you for your OP.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,008 Member
    Options

There are no direct health benefits from any meal-timing choices, including having or not having breakfast. There could be indirect benefits, for instance, if you find you personally need to eat at a certain time to have energy for your workouts, or that one pattern of meal-timing helps you personally with adherence to your intake goals. But different people will find different patterns helpful.
  • DavidRocketts
    DavidRocketts Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I think it depends how you can survive if you have a very physical job. Thinking 'old wives' years back work was far more physical and breakfast calories may have been more important. I often skip breakfast but for energy I drink a good quality filter coffee and ginger tea, not together! (root ginger grated and infused) this give my metabolism a kick start, that gets me through 3-4 miles walk/jog and a gym session...
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Fasting is great for some people. If you want to try it to see how your body reacts to it just be careful until you know how your body will react, some people get low blood sugar when fasting. Fasting works for some and not others.

Being in a Muslim country during Ramadan is wonderful. You can see such dedication it's amazing and you also see some very "hangry" people and very happy people at sundown. Good luck on your journey.

Last year, I had the opportunity to be in another country during Ramadan, and out of respect for my hosts kept the fast with them, as did some of my co-workers. The second week seemed to be the hardest for me, I certainly noticed some practical and spiritual benefit from having an extra 90 minutes in my day(lunch break). And Yes, the "hangry" people were noteworthy.

Note: for those considering doing it for a health benefit, remember that a strict Ramadan fast includes water, which makes it unsustainable for a long duration. Especially in a hot climate or in conjunction with vigorous labor/exercise.