Healthy side dishes for salmon?

Options
rainingribbons
rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
Hi guys! I'm a recently turned pescetarian (from being a vegetarian for nearly 4 years). My boyfriend's birthday is coming up and I was planning on making him a lemon and dill styled salmon. For anyone who has made salmon using this style, what side recipes do you usually cook with? I was thinking couscous with a roasted vegetable (broccoli?), but I'm still learning the favor of salmon so I'm not sure whether or not the flavors would all tie in nicely together or not. All suggestions are helpful and welcome! (:

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Salmon is pretty versatile in that it pairs well with many things, IMO. I think your idea of couscous and roasted broccoli sounds delicious. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a baked salmon tomorrow with roasted green beans and mushrooms and roasted potatoes.

I think salmon pairs well with most anything I've tried.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Salmon is pretty versatile in that it pairs well with many things, IMO. I think your idea of couscous and roasted broccoli sounds delicious. :)

Agreed. It pairs great with lots of things.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Mashed sweet potato and steamed greens
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I love salmon and asparagus and pour some of your sauce for the salmon on the veggies! Bok choy is nice too!
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Spanish chick peas and rice with lemon-pepper grilled zuccini (check BudgetBytes.com for both recipes!).
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    I love salmon with grilled asparagus, and roasted broccoli like you mentioned... And green beans...

Mmmm.... Salmon.. With crispy skin!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I love a good wild rice blend with salmon, it has great texture and looks fancy :) Especially if you can get a blend with red rice!
  • kmb1282
    kmb1282 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I had 8 oz.of salmon tonight with broccoli, mushrooms, and Brussels sprouts topped with fat free feta cheese... seasoned salmon with olive oil,oregano and one minced garlic clove- delicious and 411 calories! I couldn't even finish it!
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Your menu sounds lovely! I also love Jasmine rice with salmon. I make an Indian lemon peanut rice with either Jasmine or Basmati rice and roasted brussels sprouts. Pretty much any roasted veggie goes well.
  • DEBOO7
    DEBOO7 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Green vege is the way to go. A good choice is creamed silverbeet or spinach. I use cream cheese and a bit of single cream to create the sauce.
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Steamed asparagus
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I love salmon with soft potato mash & garlic & touch of butter and very little milk, gives it this creamy texture, and def works well with Salmon. Can add green beans etc as well. Okay that got me hungry now, time to eat :smiley:
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Salmon fillets in those cute little tin foil packets on top of asparagus is my go to. Just spread some Dijon or grainy mustard on top of the salmon and set it on top of asparagus and cover with tin foil. Bake. Eat. Enjoy Life.
  • slefko
    slefko Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love salmon with just some basic brown rice. I am also a huge fan of brussels sprouts as well!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sweet potato mash made with whole grain mustard, yummy!
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    About half the time we have salmon, we have this kale and apple salad
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/kale-and-apple-salad-recipe.html

Very tasty and not too bad nutrition wise. 151 calories, 8.5 g fat, 5 g protein, 17 g carbs
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    A classic way to serve salmon is with cucumber salad, thin-sliced onion, slabs of fresh red tomato, lots of fresh dill and capers. Of course, this is usually SMOKED salmon, but it works with grilled or baked salmon just as well. If you are not restricting carbs, toasted sesame bagels drenched in sweet butter go well.

For cucumber salad, peel the cucumber, slice it thin (about 1/8") lay it out on paper towels on a baking sheet(s) in a single layer and lightly salt it. This will draw some of the moisture out; takes about 20 to 30 minutes. Place the slices in a bowl. Add a splash of apple cider vinegar and a few dashes of dill, dried or fresh (better). Mix in just enough sour cream (or mayo) to whiten the dressing. Adjust the salt and add black pepper if desired.

Bon appetit!
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Salmon, roasted asparagus, Israel cous cous.
  • rainingribbons
    rainingribbons Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the ideas, everyone! I'll have to try everything out over the next few times we do salmon, everything sounds so tasty!! (: