Excercise

Options
When I started on here, I could not walk. I was so out of breath, I had to sit down . I have been walking with Hubby, my legs still hurt and I am still really out of breath. It's been less than a month, am I being unrealistic ?

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Keep going, you've got this! Fitness is a life long endevour! Enjoy the process!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,206 Member
    Options
    aka62792 wrote: »
    When I started on here, I could not walk. I was so out of breath, I had to sit down . I have been walking with Hubby, my legs still hurt and I am still really out of breath. It's been less than a month, am I being unrealistic ?

Do you still have to sit down mid walk?

It does take time to build up and if you are still overweight, you're still carrying all that with you. When I was only about 10 kg over my normal BMI range, I was struggling with being out of breath hiking up all the hills around here.
  • aka62792
    aka62792 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight, but I need to lose a bit. I was a lifelong Athlete, never dieted . I became Deathly ill from a reaction to a medication, I was DOA when I arrived at E/R. It has been very difficult to start losing weight and not having my athletic abilities. I either have to stop walking, or hang onto something because of my breathing. I am getting discouraged.
  • Machka9
    Options
    I have lost weight, but I need to lose a bit. I was a lifelong Athlete, never dieted . I became Deathly ill from a reaction to a medication, I was DOA when I arrived at E/R. It has been very difficult to start losing weight and not having my athletic abilities. I either have to stop walking, or hang onto something because of my breathing. I am getting discouraged.

You were declared dead?

• L1zardQueen
    Options

Weight loss is done with a deficit, no need to exercise if you are not ready.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Yes, based on what you have said about your life, you are probably be unrealistic. It takes time to get into shape, especially if you have due to various factors gotten very out of shape. Look for the small improvements over time. Think what you were like when you started, and realize how far you have already come.
  • aka62792
    Options
    As much as I want to do it, I think I have to agree. I am losing weight and maybe I can start riding again. I just hate not being able to do it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    As much as I want to do it, I think I have to agree. I am losing weight and maybe I can start riding again. I just hate not being able to do it.

I had a similar situation after a major health event. Not as bad, but similar in not being able to do what I could before. One of the things I used, and suggest others uses is a diary that honestly records daily what you could and could not do, how hard it was and all the rest in terms of your activity. I suggest this because the progress, especially at the start, is slow. You will have days where you do really well, then they will be followed by days that seem like you are back where you started. After several weeks pass you start to forget what things were like when you started back, and then it is helpful to be able to look back 4 weeks or more and see how you have progressed, or where you are not progressing so you can put more work into that particular area.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    We didn't get overweight and unhealthy overnight so we aren't going to become healthy and within a "normal" range quickly. This is a lifelong journey where we are able to learn and grow and become healthier people. You can do this! You will build up your stamina and soon be walking further and breathing easier! Keep up the good work!
  • JoeCWV
    JoeCWV Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You may want to consult with your doctor. If he/she is ok with exercise go ahead and walk, or do whatever you can. Just like anyone else though, don't over do it. If you are making gains, even small ones, you are winning.
  • brooksbarrick
    brooksbarrick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You might want to at swimming or water aerobics as they are much less stressful to joints. I swim about 5 miles a week and without meds have a blood pressure of 120/70. Pretty good for an old fat man. Plus, no joint injuries ro jarring. I lift weights, hike and bike too.
  • aka62792
    Options
    I have a pool, too cold to use now. The second I can, I will start swimming. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere, no indoor pools , like my old Gym. What I DO NOT UNDERSTAND, is why I'm not gasping for air when I swim and if I walk 25 steps I'm falling down gasping for air. I am doing well losing weight, however, I want my strength back.
  • aka62792
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

You were declared dead?
    Yes

• aka62792
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

You were declared dead?

• L1zardQueen
    Options
    I have a pool, too cold to use now. The second I can, I will start swimming. Unfortunately, I live in the middle of nowhere, no indoor pools , like my old Gym. What I DO NOT UNDERSTAND, is why I'm not gasping for air when I swim and if I walk 25 steps I'm falling down gasping for air. I am doing well losing weight, however, I want my strength back.

When I run or hike, I have no problem with getting enough air but with swimming I am gasping for air. The more you walk, the better you will get.
  • aka62792
    Options
    Yes, in total Renal Failure. Creatinine 9.0, no one thought I would make it, here I am.
  • aka62792
    Options
    After speaking to Y'all last night, I was in tears. I was a Champion Horseback Rider my whole life. I participated in Shows all over the world. 6 foot fences, in my profile pic I was 40 . My Husband is going to walk with me. I spent my ENTIRE CHILDHOOD training to be an Open Jumper. Every day, no whining, I must still have that intense discipline inside me . Can someone tell me how to use the Quote.
  • aka62792
    Options

I had a similar situation after a major health event. Not as bad, but similar in not being able to do what I could before. One of the things I used, and suggest others uses is a diary that honestly records daily what you could and could not do, how hard it was and all the rest in terms of your activity. I suggest this because the progress, especially at the start, is slow. You will have days where you do really well, then they will be followed by days that seem like you are back where you started. After several weeks pass you start to forget what things were like when you started back, and then it is helpful to be able to look back 4 weeks or more and see how you have progressed, or where you are not progressing so you can put more work into that particular area.

• aka62792
    Options
    I think a journal would be a great idea ! Since I journal my food, I can add comments. Thanks
  • Machka9
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to use the Quote.

Click Quote.
    Type your response outside the [/quote] marker.

Regarding building up again ...

I am a long distance cyclist and have been for years and years.

Then in 2009, I developed DVT on a flight from LA to Melbourne. I didn't realise what had happened for 6 weeks, and by then my left leg was chalk full of clots and I couldn't breathe. I was hospitalised for 2 weeks and put on Warfarin which is an energy-sapping drug ... tired and freezing cold all the time. The last of the clots took about 6 months to dissolve so I struggled with shortness of breath that whole time.

I went from easily cycling 100 km and more ... to not being able to walk 50 metres out of the hospital without having to stop for a rest.

Yeah, it's frustrating. Really screamingly frustrating.

But I kept at it ... a little bit further every day. Even if I did have to stop and rest and huff and puff. About a month later I started cycling again. My first ride was 6 km and I felt like I had just done 60 km. But again, I kept at it and kept increasing it a little at a time.

That's all you can do, and that's what you might be doing for the next year. But stick with it and celebrate any extra steps as an accomplishment.