mfp calorie database

Options
Ok, so I hardly log my daily food intake for several reasons, one being the fact that whatever I add to my diary im sure is not accurate in the least! I dont cook and neither does my boyfriend, so i eat out everyday, and I always go to other sites to determine the calorie content in what I order if it isnt posted on their menu. Every single time, mfp gives me a completely different number! Like I just logged arbys small curly fries because a site said 300 and it fits into my calorie allowance for the day. When I went to log it here, it said 400!! :open_mouth:

Is there any way to find out the ACTUAL amount of calories in the fries....or any fast food for that matter? How do I know just how many calories im taking in? Its a constant guessing game! How do I know which sites to trust?

Replies

• Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I received this email today from MFP which may help answer your questions:
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/4-tips-count-calories-without-losing-mind/
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Try going to the restaurant's website. They usually have menus that include nutrition information.
    Also, IMHO, a close estimate is better than not logging at all. Better to be a little off than to be completely ignorant of what you are eating. And please start cooking. It'll make calorie control easier in the long run. You'll know what's in the food, because you put it there. :)
  • secret_despair30
    secret_despair30 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try going to the restaurant's website. They usually have menus that include nutrition information.
    Also, IMHO, a close estimate is better than not logging at all. Better to be a little off than to be completely ignorant of what you are eating. And please start cooking. It'll make calorie control easier in the long run. You'll know what's in the food, because you put it there. :)

But I said that thqts EXACTLY what I di, I always go to the sites nutrition page. Mfp always gives me a different number than what the site says!
  • stephanne13
    stephanne13 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Go by the Restaurant's own nutrition info. Most all items put into MFP are put in by anyone who wants to. Due to this, much of the listing is either lacking in information (they only enter calories & nothing else) or, it is flat out wrong. A brand of eggs I like to buy often is listed on this site as having 25 grams of fiber..for two eggs. Did I mention they are eggs?! That being said, plenty of stuff is accurate. But, go ahead and use the nutritional info from the restaurant.
  • secret_despair30
    secret_despair30 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Go by the Restaurant's own nutrition info. Most all items put into MFP are put in by anyone who wants to. Due to this, much of the listing is either lacking in information (they only enter calories & nothing else) or, it is flat out wrong. A brand of eggs I like to buy often is listed on this site as having 25 grams of fiber..for two eggs. Did I mention they are eggs?! That being said, plenty of stuff is accurate. But, go ahead and use the nutritional info from the restaurant.

Thatvwas exactly as I thought, thanks for the info!
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You can also access the restaurant's calorie info directly from your food diary by using the location icon.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

But I said that thqts EXACTLY what I di, I always go to the sites nutrition page. Mfp always gives me a different number than what the site says!

There are also regional differences or the company changes the information. I find frequently with things I log, the NI is from the US, I'm not, so there are differences. There are a long list of MFP entries, so you need to look for the right one. As already stated, go with the information provided by the company. The entries here are mostly user entered and therefore error prone.