Your thoughts on "saving" calories

Options

Replies

• ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose weight, I would zig zag my calories. I would have high day and low days. My high days would be designated for Saturday, which was usually the day that I was out and about with friends. You should look into it, if you havent already.
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    If I know that I am going out to dinner, I drink a Slim Fast Shake (only 190 cals) and eat some fruit so that I am not starving when its time to go out. And if you kinda sorta know what you are going to be eating, you can look it up on mfp.com and enter it ahead of time so that you will know how many calories your consuming.

Be Ncouraged!
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Yes I save my calories for the evenings because thats the time I like to eat most...as long as you are staying in moderation with what you are eating then I see no problem :drinker:
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I don't "save" calories. I will work out that much harder if I know that I have a get together to go to. I tend to over eat if I save the calories throughout the day....

Im like this too...I mean, I personally eat workout calories, but its because of a doctor recommendation, and that isn't for everyone. If I hold off all day, I ravage everything in sight (no a pretty picture, let me tell you). However, in your situation, you only have two choices...so I guess go with whichever you think is best for you.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    No saving here. I pay for it in the gym. If I know I am going to Bonefish Grill, say on tomorrow night, and I know I am going to eat a Bang Bang Shrimp, Cerviche, and drink a Rum Punch(total of 800+calories). I know I gotta get my *kitten* out of bed tomorrow morning at 4:30 to start hitting the gym so I can have the reserve built in when I go eat tomorrow night at Bonefish Grill at the Loop 2 in Kissimee, Fl at 7:30pm...But I digress.
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of both 'saving' calories and working out a bit more. :-)
  • GirlTuesday
    Options
    This is just my two cents, but I don't see anything wrong with saving calories on occasion. Just don't make it a habit. Your body needs "fuel" throughout the day to keep going. Make sure you drink a lot of water to stay hydrated and whatever you eat prior to your event should probably be high in protein and/or a healthy source of carbs to give you energy and keep you feeling full.
  • mlek13
    mlek13 Posts: 44
    Options
    I would definitely "save" them too. I would be so very careful all day and leave most of my calories in case I couldn't resist a second serving of something or in case they bring something with them I want to try. Also, I would probably plan ahead by entering what I know I will be eating in your food diary to see what is left and try to eat about half of what is left throughout the day so you aren't starving when they arrive. If you go a little over, then the next couple of days I would push the water and eat a bit lighter each day.

Good luck.. it's so hard with these situations but you'll get better as time goes on and maybe you can suggest a different setting or something else to do (card games maybe?) so that you are doing something with your hands and get out of the kitchen?

THANKS Something hit me that you said... Prelogging will work beautifully... like preplanning my meals, this way, I will know how much calories is in what!! ALSO, Duh, what a revelation!! get out of the kitchen!! We really CAN do that, can't we?? I have a new game we have been talking about trying (Apples to Apples). Time to go into the livingroom and try it out!!

Apples to Apples is really fun... my friends and I get really into it. Have fun!
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Oh I definitely save. Matter of fact, I'm doing it right now. My son's 1st birthday is Sunday and dang it, I'm gonna eat what I want lol! So all week I'm just lowering my calories by about 150 and on Sunday, I'm CHEATING and I'm not even going to worry about logging it. I've found that an occasional "cheat day" actually helps me get the scale moving again. So yeah, I don't see anything wrong with that.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I would definitely "save" them too. I would be so very careful all day and leave most of my calories in case I couldn't resist a second serving of something or in case they bring something with them I want to try. Also, I would probably plan ahead by entering what I know I will be eating in your food diary to see what is left and try to eat about half of what is left throughout the day so you aren't starving when they arrive. If you go a little over, then the next couple of days I would push the water and eat a bit lighter each day.

Good luck.. it's so hard with these situations but you'll get better as time goes on and maybe you can suggest a different setting or something else to do (card games maybe?) so that you are doing something with your hands and get out of the kitchen?

Pre-logging has worked best for me! I do it almost every day. Plans change many times but at least its something to strive for!

THANKS Something hit me that you said... Prelogging will work beautifully... like preplanning my meals, this way, I will know how much calories is in what!! ALSO, Duh, what a revelation!! get out of the kitchen!! We really CAN do that, can't we?? I have a new game we have been talking about trying (Apples to Apples). Time to go into the livingroom and try it out!!
  • KristofferN
    Options
    Do I try and “save” calories if I know I’m going to have a “pigout” meal later in the day??? No, not really and yes but only to a point. If you attempt to save TOO many calories because you know you are going to "pigout" later on in that night, you probably will be making it worse than if you just ate normal during the entire day and then have the "pigout" meal. If you save too much during the day by skipping a couple of meals (I eat 6 in a day) your body will start to slow down its metabolism rate and we don't want that to happen. Your body thinks you are going into a starvation crisis and doesn't know you are simply trying to save calories which you will make up and then some later that night. So my point is if you want to "save" calories do it by simply reducing all of your meals during the day just a little, but KEEP eating every couple of hours so your metabolism is still burning hot when you have your "big fun meal" I usually use these type of "pigout" meals as my one and only cheat meal of the week. If you think of it, one cheat meal a week after being so good all week long will not do anything as far as weight gain but will probably help boost your metabolism rate up and that is a good thing. Plus it is good for the spirit to reward your self every now and then. Hope this helps.
  • julwills
    julwills Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I'm doing something similar today. I know I'm going out to eat dinner with a girlfriend right after work and likely won't have time to hit the gym. So I had my standard breakfast, I'm having a 220 cal salad for lunch and then having an apple for my afternoon snack. That way I still have over 770 cals left for dinner! Even if I go over my calorie allowance I'm set at 2 lbs per week so I have a 1,000 calorie deficit so i'm not too worried about it.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    dreamer,

You probably won't like what I have to say. Most of you actually. But just please understand that I'm saying this as a realistic and unbiased observer only.

Part of the battle people have with weight loss is justification, it stems from fear of "giving up their lifestyle", similar to an alcoholic, this practice can be self destructive. In my opinion, a majority of the changes that need to be made are mental changes, the physical weight loss and lean tissue building and habits all stem from you having the desire and the willpower to change how you think about yourself, food, and you life, and the biggie here is the concept of "control".

I know what you're thinking, "What the heck is this guy talking about, and what does this have to do with saving up calories for a "special" night?" Well, it's all related folks. I've found out (the hard way mostly) that changing your life means changing how you think about food, "saving up calories" for that one special night isn't really the right mentality to have IMHO, whether or not those calories even out at the end of the week is incidental, what you really should be focusing on is your every day, your habits, how you feel about food, how you feel about yourself, and what your triggers to unhealthy eating are (and the underlying emotional issues you have that cause those to be triggers). Once you square away these things, and view food for what it is (fuel), then you are freeing yourself to enjoy all the other wonderful aspects of life that don't involve food. Focusing on one special night is (in my opinion) like washing your care right before it's about to rain in that yes, you are cleaning the car, but in the end, does it really matter, wouldn't you be better served by an oil change and putting better gas in it? 10 years from now, no body will look at that car and say, "Wow, you sure did do a good job washing it every week."
  • PecanTanDiva
    PecanTanDiva Posts: 162
    Options
    dreamer,

You probably won't like what I have to say. Most of you actually. But just please understand that I'm saying this as a realistic and unbiased observer only.

Part of the battle people have with weight loss is justification, it stems from fear of "giving up their lifestyle", similar to an alcoholic, this practice can be self destructive. In my opinion, a majority of the changes that need to be made are mental changes, the physical weight loss and lean tissue building and habits all stem from you having the desire and the willpower to change how you think about yourself, food, and you life, and the biggie here is the concept of "control".

I know what you're thinking, "What the heck is this guy talking about, and what does this have to do with saving up calories for a "special" night?" Well, it's all related folks. I've found out (the hard way mostly) that changing your life means changing how you think about food, "saving up calories" for that one special night isn't really the right mentality to have IMHO, whether or not those calories even out at the end of the week is incidental, what you really should be focusing on is your every day, your habits, how you feel about food, how you feel about yourself, and what your triggers to unhealthy eating are (and the underlying emotional issues you have that cause those to be triggers). Once you square away these things, and view food for what it is (fuel), then you are freeing yourself to enjoy all the other wonderful aspects of life that don't involve food. Focusing on one special night is (in my opinion) like washing your care right before it's about to rain in that yes, you are cleaning the car, but in the end, does it really matter, wouldn't you be better served by an oil change and putting better gas in it? 10 years from now, no body will look at that car and say, "Wow, you sure did do a good job washing it every week."

I soooooo LOATHE that your freakin right!!!!! :grumble:

LOL
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Well, you nixed by suggestion in the bud (extra exercise). Actually, that would still be my suggestion whethere you usually eat them back or not, because however you log it exercise will allow you eat more and still lose weight. But if you are not doing that, then yes I would eat very light during the day if I knew I was going to feast in the evening.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I don't save, but I plan my day out better with more lower calorie foods and I will work out more that day too. I eat back my exercise cals (I've lost more weight doing that) so I work out hard to burn more calories and have more incase I splurge.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I let my self go a bit but try not to go too crazy, and try to have a good hours cardio the next day to work it off. And try to mentally deal with the fact that not much progress will be noticed for the next 2-3 days.
  • chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    dreamer,

You have a great point at the same time I disagree with some of the nuances. I do think its wrongheaded to save up calories so you can eat whatever because you have friends over. This idea that you save up calories so you can unhealthy isn't a good way to go about a lifestyle change. Right on.

However, it's not all that simple. I love traditional meals (read: multicourse, beautifully prepared, French style dining) I love these meals because they provide an experience and pleasure that is otherwise lost in our everyday mindless, utilitarian eating. Even if I only eat bits and pieces this is still a much larger meal that I would usually have. So yes, if I plan one of these occasions then I will "save up" my calories.

We aren't machines. There should be joy in food and times when you aren't worried about the macro nutrients of a dish or its caloric value. Spending time with friends can be one of those times. But all within reason. Eat only until you are no longer hungry, not stuffed, and consider the whole thing to be part of your healthy lifestyle, not a break from it.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    dreamer,

You have a great point at the same time I disagree with some of the nuances. I do think its wrongheaded to save up calories so you can eat whatever because you have friends over. This idea that you save up calories so you can unhealthy isn't a good way to go about a lifestyle change. Right on.

However, it's not all that simple. I love traditional meals (read: multicourse, beautifully prepared, French style dining) I love these meals because they provide an experience and pleasure that is otherwise lost in our everyday mindless, utilitarian eating. Even if I only eat bits and pieces this is still a much larger meal that I would usually have. So yes, if I plan one of these occasions then I will "save up" my calories.

We aren't machines. There should be joy in food and times when you aren't worried about the macro nutrients of a dish or its caloric value. Spending time with friends can be one of those times. But all within reason. Eat only until you are no longer hungry, not stuffed, and consider the whole thing to be part of your healthy lifestyle, not a break from it.

that was very beautifully stated.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

I think maybe you mis-understood my thread (or maybe I explained it badly) I don't mean to say you should stop doing anything you enjoy with friends or family, I'm simply saying that the most important thing to do to become healthy is to change how you feel about food, and because food is so closely tied to emotions many times (especially for those who are obese in many situations), that means dealing first with the emotions that cause the eating. If the time someone enjoys with friends and family happens to revolve around gatherings for food, I have no problem with that, but food shouldn't be your focus at the gatherings, until food is not your biggest factor, you'll still have problems.

In other words, I'm not saying you need to change the situations you are in, you need to change how those situations make you feel.

Now, that being said, many people end up changing after they make these break throughs simply because they are no longer the same person and they realize that what they thought was "fun" was actually high stress, but that's a healthy realization that some make, and some don't, the causality needs to be there for this to happen.