Where my vegans at?- favourite meals, recipes, ideas and tips

Options
Hello! I've been vegan only a short time, about 6 months now. Vegetarian a year before that. I am also gluten intolerant. If anyone else here is vegan and would like to get involved in sharing favourite meals, ideas and general vegan chat, that would be awesome. I'm in the UK, were having a bit of an explosion of products available on the market for vegans and other free from diets at the moment which is pretty great! So, what's your go to healthy evening meal? And breakfasts. I'm rubbish at eating breakfast and usually skip it. But love to make hearty casserole type dinners out of lentils, vegan sausages with lots of veg and herbs. Also lovely fresh stir fries and anything with loads of colourful veg. Also OBSESSED with avocado!

Replies

• HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I'm very fond of potato and butternut squash casserole (with random other stuff added round the base ingredients- kidney beans, butter beans, peas, carrots), made with Schwartz Season-All spice powder. That there is the magic ingredient, but I don't know if it's gluten-free.

• Haniejane89
    Haniejane89 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oo I'll check it out, thanks! Sounds good!
  • LateWinterWolf90
    LateWinterWolf90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but i found a sweet potato and spinach dhal recipe that i'm going to try out.
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/spinach-sweet-potato-lentil-dhal
  • LateWinterWolf90
    LateWinterWolf90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh and jamie olivers happy cow burgers They are divine! unfortunately don't have the recipe saved on this laptop :(
  • jordan_bowden
    jordan_bowden Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Mushroom bolognaise with carrot, zucchini, onion, lentils and tomato (all finely diced) on rice/buckwheat/tapioca/potato starch pasta is amaaaaazing!
  • Haniejane89
    Options
    Mushroom bolognaise with carrot, zucchini, onion, lentils and tomato (all finely diced) on rice/buckwheat/tapioca/potato starch pasta is amaaaaazing!

So there's no mince alternative? Just the mushrooms? With the veg and lentils? Intriguing. I've never made something like that before.

I did just make a banging chilli tho. Mmm
  • Haniejane89
    Options
    I'm very fond of potato and butternut squash casserole (with random other stuff added round the base ingredients- kidney beans, butter beans, peas, carrots), made with Schwartz Season-All spice powder. That there is the magic ingredient, but I don't know if it's gluten-free.

I'm going to attempt to make this today...
  • Haniejane89
    Options
    Wow thanks vegan4lyfe2012!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks vegan4lyfe2012!

You are very welcome :smile:
  • frannieshack
    frannieshack Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Curry Veggies
    I had a great dinner last night! It makes a ton, so I will have this for several meals. If you like curry you will like this, if you haven't tried curry, you can go light on the curry powder.
    Saute onion, green pepper and garlic in 2 tbsp coconut oil, sprinkle with 1 tbsp curry powder (more or less depending on taste)
    add any veggies you enjoy, I like to add spinach, cauliflower, carrots, peas (frozen veggies are easy to use)
    1 can garbanzo beans
    some herbs you can add are: fresh cilantro or fresh basil
    add 1 can of lite coconut milk and 2 cups of vegetable stock
    simmer about 20 minutes, depending on the texture you like
    serve over brown rice
  • TishTash1616
    TishTash1616 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK too, and loving trying all the new vegan products that are coming onto the market :smile:

I post pictures of my food on instagram, and I've had people I know say things like "I didn't know you could eat normal/proper/nice food if you were vegan!" after they see my pictures (usually they don't know anyone else who is vegan)

I cook for both myself and my omni boyfriend (who, thanks to this, now eats a mostly plant-based diet)

Some recipes I make regularly:

http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2012/05/bean-enchiladas.html

http://www.thegardengrazer.com/2015/09/vegan-corn-and-potato-chowder.html

VEGGIE CHILLI - 1 diced onion, 3 diced celery sticks, 1 diced red pepper, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tin chopped tomatoes, 3 tbsp double concentrate tomato puree, 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 green chilli, 0.5tsp ground coriander, 2 tsp cocoa powder, 200mls vegetable stock, 1 tin red kidney beans and a small tin of sweetcorn, with salt to taste. (Brown the onions, add the celery red pepper and garlic. Add the stock and cover for 10 mins. Then add the the rest of the ingredients and cook for 15 minutes, or longer if you like the veg to be a bit softer).

PORRIDGE with cinnamon and peanut butter powder (pb fit from sainsbury's or asda)

SMOOTHIE - soya milk, frozen banana, handfuls of spinach and frozen mango

Various curries (one of my parents is Indian, so I have been making these since long before I was vegan)

PIZZA - asda does an uncooked pizza dough, a homemade pizza sauce (passata, garlic, onion powder, salt, pepper, basil, oregano), and topped with spinach, red peppers and chickpeas in a mix of bbq sauce and sriracha

SPAGHETTI with Sainsbury's meatless meatballs, or asda's meat free mince, in tomato sauce - small carton of passata, 1 onion, 1 garlic clove, 2 celery stalks, 1 red pepper, basil, thyme, salt and pepper.

FROZEN YOGURT - 30g silken tofu, 200g frozen berries and 1 frozen banana, blended in a food processor until smooth (I love this when I need to get some protein in)

BROCCOLI AND POTATO SOUP - 1 head of broccoli chopped into florets, 1lb red skin potatoes chopped into 1 inch pieces, 600mls vegetable stock, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp onion powder, 20g nutritional yeast, 400 mls wholebean soya milk, salt and pepper (cook the potatoes in the stock with the garlic and onion powder. once they're cooked add the broccoli. Once it's cooked, blend half of the soup until smooth, then it add back. Salt and pepper to taste.)

ORZO PASTA SALAD - 200g of various types of salad leaves, 350g baby plum tomatoes, 50g sliced black olives, 100g grated carrot, 1 tin black beans, 150g dried orzo pasta (cooked to package instructions) and then I add whatever dressing I fancy

SAUSAGES (Linda McCartney) with mash and roasted veggies

BURGER (Fry's Family traditional style) with ketchup, mustard, fried onions, grilled pepper and lettuce on a toasted bun, sometimes with some sainsbury's free from caramelised onion cheddar, or a slice of violife

WRAP filled with houmous, tofurkey, mixed salad and kale

To name a few!

The pasta and pizza base I use, the Linda McCartney sausages and the fry's burgers aren't gluten free, but they can be made with GF ingredients instead.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    How did it go?
  • Haniejane89
    Options
    It was soooooo good!!