Planet Fitness

Options
Good morning,
Just curious if anyone here uses Planet Fitness and if so what are your thoughts? I am debating on getting a membership.

Replies

• Swoletobe
    Swoletobe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My best friend goes there. She said for it beening expensive it does the job. It's a lot of machines and smith machines which can be a bummer if you rather use squat racks and heavy free weights.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have not used it but have toured the one near me. I'm seriously thinking of joining, I just need to convince myself that I'll use it.

Keep an eye on the page for the one you will join. They constantly have a new "sale price" It changes every month, so if you aren't happy with their deal today, Feb 1 is will probably be a different deal.
  • eels4peels
    eels4peels Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have a membership to PF and it's worth it. Coming from a crossfit, heavy lifting, lots of cardio, yoga junkie who just happens to like to have a little extra money on the side, PF gets the job done without breaking the bank. A lot of people will downplay the gym bc it's not exactly your Bro's Bro gym, but if you're starting out or on a budget or it's nearby just join. I was paying $100 a month for Crossfit plus $100 for yoga classes and had the Y. Now I can get everything done for like $20 a month. Not a bad deal if you ask me.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    My wife and I belong to one. We have the black card membership which is $20 per month because I travel and can go to any PF.
    If you're just wanting to hit some lifting and aerobics it's a good cheap place to go. Some don't agree with PF's advertising and the whole "lunk" alarm. Personally I don't really care.
    Equipment is nice. Depending on how new it is and the size it can can all kinds of stuff. Our's is fairly large and has quite a bit of stuff.
    I mainly lift at our work gym since I'm into powerlifting but I can get a solid lifting session in at PF without any hassles.
  • albatrosssherpa
    albatrosssherpa Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have a membership to PF and to another gym. PF is good if you're starting out. They offer no group fitness and mine has a flippin' free pizza day. However, there are ample cardio machines, sometimes the machines get crowded and you have to wait. For $10 it is not a bad deal. I prefer my other gym now for group fitness and for the better free weights and other stuff. In sum, if you do not mind crowds and prefer the machines - PF is great.
  • CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I go to my local planet fitness. It has everything that I currently need for a good workout. The only thing I wish it had is row machines but I can get past that. I have recently started the workouts in the New Rules of Lifting for Women book and so far I only use the dumbbells, which PF has an abundance of, the preloaded barbells, and the cable machines. Once I progress in weight there are smith machines I can use but I haven't ventured to them yet (intimidated).

I also just bought a groupon for 10 sessions of boot camp at this local place near me that I have been stalking their website for a few weeks, so I am stoked they had a groupon so I can try it out to get a little bit of a varied workout.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    My husband has the $20/month membership so I go with him. We mostly use it on rainy days for cardio when we can't get out to the park for walks/runs and he does like to lift there. He isn't a crazy lifter though so the smith machines and free weights are fine for him...it is more of a stress reliever than anything. PF gets a bad rep but its really fine.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    It's fine for cardio.
    If you want to make good progress with resistance training it's not a great choice due to the lack of options for free weights (there are no squat racks or even barbells for benching because they're "intimidating").
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    For $20 a month its worth knowing I have someplace to go if its to wet or cold to go outside for a run.

Note, that they have the "good" Life Fitness ellipticals with the longer stride motion(more like running) but the computer is neutered with no access to the distance, or randomized intensity modules.

The one I use doesn't seem to enforce the dress code, but overall I'm very happy with it as an umbrella/parachute.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    It's debatable on your goals and what the PF you are considering has to offer.

Some have squat racks, most don't. If your program has a progressive overload, than you might fizzle out on strength.

I've considered joining but only for the food they offer as it would be a cheap meal if I happen to be in the area ;).
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I go to Planet Fitness. It's one of the better gym's I've gone to, lots of equipment available.

If your looking to lift heavy I know that its not the right place for that...but to start off I think it has everything you need as a beginner.

No complaints on my end with my Planet Fitness, great people running it, always clean..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want out of it as to whether or not it sill suit your needs. They don't really provide me with the things I need to do what I want to do, so it's a non starter. I belonged to one years ago as a secondary gym to do cardio in nasty weather as it was pretty close to my office.
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I just joined one near me, it's got everything I need, squat rack, dumbbells, barbells, treadmills you name it. For ten dollars a month I'll stick with it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that equipment varies by location. I've seen pictures of and heard members state that their PFs have racks, barbells, and dumbbells up to 75#. For a good portion of gym goers, PF is sufficient. If you are looking for a powerlifting gym, it's not PF, but if you are interested in general fitness, it can work.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have the black card/$20 a month membership and I go almost every day. It's perfect for cardio and getting toned/ripped. Are there any specific questions that you have?
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I belong to Planet Fitness. I love it. For $10 a month, you can't beat it. If you are looking for a pool, daycare, big classes or free weights, you will have to look elsewhere. But, for cardio machines and weight machines and various circuits (mine has 30-minute step/machine circuit and a 12-minute ab circuits). For $20, you also get tanning and massage chairs and use of any of their facilities. Well worth it.
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I belonged before and enjoyed it immensely. I only cancelled due to personal home issues and ended up getting weights for the home. Each gym is different (equipment and gym members) so I suggest you ask for a tour and see for yourself. Cardio, machines, free weights, ab rooms, full body workout room...you cannot go wrong. Each weight machine has directions on them, which helped me out a lot. I loved that cell phone conversations had to taken out in the lobby. Everyone either has their fitness buddy or they keep to themselves. Very nice place and clean. :smiley:
  • patslitzker
    patslitzker Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Better gyms out there. I pay $29 a month and my gym has free weights squat racks and everything that PF doesn't have and it has a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room, rock wall, massage beds, tanning booths and group fitness classes that come with the membership. Also have a smoothie bar with protein shakes
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I looked at the one by me and they didn't have any bar bells or weight plates, so I didn't join. My friend who goes to a different location says hers has them though. There is a place up the street called fitness 19 that is the same price as PF so if I was in the market for a gym I'd go there. Basically juat see if it has everything you need before you join. Also at PF the machines said things like "you belong" and I thought that was totally lame.
  • _Justinian_
    _Justinian_ Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Better gyms out there. I pay $29 a month and my gym has free weights squat racks and everything that PF doesn't have and it has a swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room, rock wall, massage beds, tanning booths and group fitness classes that come with the membership. Also have a smoothie bar with protein shakes

Where do you live? A gym like that in my area (one I was a formal member of) would cost me $80 per month.