Home gym

Options
I have a bowflex ultimate 2 currently but ive come to find out that i like actual weights more. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on a good home gym

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Free weights? Start with an adjustable bench and a set of dumbbells. Add a squat rack if that's important to you and in your budget. Free weight equipment can often be found used for good prices. Check craigslist and similar for deals.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I built my home gym initially with a Olympic barbell, weights and a bench I acquired from a garage sale. Since then I have invested in a squat rack (highly recommend with safety bars) and newer adjustable bench, treadmill and bands for pullup assist and other various exercises. I also purchased WOSS bands (like TRX but cheaper). Agree with checking Craigslist, Offerup and Letgo.

ETA: Don't forget body weight training as well. Check out You Are your Own Gym.
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Lots of weight benches available on Craigslist. If you want new, check out Groupon. Just last week I saw a Groupon for a Golds Gym weight bench for $59, I think. I don't know if it's any good or not.

But I like jjpptt2's advice, a weight bench and dumbbells will cover a lot of what you'll want to do.
  • mia8200
    mia8200 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone i really appreciate your response
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    edited January 2017
    Options
    My wife and I just picked up the Gold's gym XRS 20 for $157. More than worth it. Very solid design and functionality.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-XRS-20-Olympic-Workout-Bench-and-Rack/5280822

The price changes time to time, but it's a pretty sweet gym that meets our needs just fine.

edit: We're coming from the Bowflex Ultimate 1 by the way.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    All off of CL for less than $700 total, I bought:
    A real nice squat rack
    Olympic barbell + collars
    4 misc. weight bars (2 curl, 2 straight)
    600lbs of weight plates
    Adjustable bench
    Variety of dumbbells

After months of scrounging, I found the best deals on CL ranging from March-early June when folks wanted to get rid of their New Year's resolution stuff.

Good luck, OP!