Eat more - Eat less - Eat more frequent?

Options
I am here since 20 days, and I follow a simple concept. I eat less than before, and I log what I eat, and if I can't log, then I still stick with my "plan." Right now I am not very hungry; I am so motivated and so determined. I overate for years; I have over 100 lbs to lose. I am not going to starve.

Yesterday someone who cares about my success here told me that I should eat more frequent -up to six meals a day. I answered quickly and told her that I believe that's a myth that we have to eat more than three meals. I said, and I quote:

"I am great it works for you, but it wouldn't work for me. I am often stuck in meetings for hours and cannot just sneak out and eat or excuse myself. I hate breakfast and rather have brunch instead. It's about the calorie intake, and if we want, we can have one big meal and nothing else. Research it!

I am determined. There will be days when I will eat more, and there are days when I will eat less. It's going to be a rollercoaster. :-) "

Afterward, I started to have doubts. Was I right or should I force myself to eat more meals?

Is it wrong to do what feels right to me?

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    There's no meal timing plan that is better than any other one; it all boils down to what works best for you. You should absolutely continue to do what feels best for you. Good luck!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Do what feels right to you. For weight loss calories are all that matter, whether you eat 6 times a day or just once.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You are doing and thinking right! Don't let others sidetrack you.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight eating 3 times a day and I've lost weight eating 6-7 times a day. Like everyone else has said - everyone is different. For me 6-7 times a day works, because for some reason I feel hungry, and I have the time and accessibility to do it. Stay focused and push forward
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right, and good for you for taking the time to correct your friend's misinformation.
  • Rowan09
    Rowan09 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You just have to find what works for you.
    People always talk about the importance of snacking on a diet so as not to restrict yourself, but for me personally if snack I can't control myself! So I stick to 3 meals a day no snacks and it's been keeping me on track more than anything else anyone has reccomended.
  • The_Movie_Chair
    The_Movie_Chair Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Now I feel better when I skip breakfast. Have a great, skinny, healthy and happy weekend.
  • fruitydelicious
    fruitydelicious Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    you should do what works for you!! many small meals a day may be necessary for some, but it is an individual decision/need. Should not be a blanket statement for all people. And, yes, some people do well on one meal per day.

I'm a 3 meal per day kind of person, myself. little meals don't fill me up and then I obsess even more than normal about my next meal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thank you all. Now I feel better when I skip breakfast. Have a great, skinny, healthy and happy weekend.

You may want to look into interim fasting (16:8) is fairly common. It's dietary approach that puts all of your meals in an 8 hour window and you fast for 16 hours. Often people, especially those who don't like breakfast, find this as a great method to eat large meals in the latter part of the day and increase dietary compliance.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine as you are.

Eat 1 meal, eat 17, doesn't matter. If you hit your calorie goal and are in a deficit, you'll lose weight.

This :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

You may want to look into intermediate fasting (16:8) is fairly common. It's dietary approach that puts all of your meals in an 8 hour window and you fast for 16 hours. Often people, especially those who don't like breakfast, find this as a great method to eat large meals in the latter part of the day and increase dietary compliance.

fixed it for you. :wink:

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited January 2017
    Options

You may want to look into intermediate fasting (16:8) is fairly common. It's dietary approach that puts all of your meals in an 8 hour window and you fast for 16 hours. Often people, especially those who don't like breakfast, find this as a great method to eat large meals in the latter part of the day and increase dietary compliance.

It's actually intermittent fasting... interim for short.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Without any plans to go IF (intermittent fasting), I find that to be my natural pattern of eating. I rarely eat in the mornings. I eat lunch, dinner and sometimes a snack. If I'm hungry in the morning, then I eat. If not, then I don't.

My mom lost 60+lbs by doing nothing but eating dinner and drinking Cokes. Real Cokes, even. lol Not something I'd recommend, but it goes to show that, in the end, it's all about how many calories you get, not how you get them.
  • unrelentingminx
    unrelentingminx Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 meals and 3 snacks (about 150 cals each) per day because I have found that if I get to the stage where I'm belly rumbling hungry, I start craving high calorie, high fat foods. By eating little and often, I don't get to that stage and can stay within my allowance better.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

intermittent...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat 1 meal, others I eat 6-8. Apart from hunger cues, there is no difference to my body composition.