When to fit rowing into workout plan?

Options
I have been going to the gym for about 4 weeks and have developed something of a schedule. I'm trying to do a mix of cardio and strength training because my goals are to increase my cardio endurance and also increase my upper body strength (after losing an arm wrestling match to my 11 year old cousin). I've discovered that I really enjoy rowing as a cardio workout, but I don't know when to incorporate it into my workout because my arms are usually a little sore a day after lifting. Any suggestions? My current schedule is below.
Monday: cardio- 25 mins, upper body- 20 mins
Tuesday: cardio- 45 mins
Wednesday: rest day
Thursday: cardio- 25 mins, upper body- 20 mins
Friday: cardio- 45 mins
Saturday: cardio- 45 mins, upper body- 20 mins
Sunday: rest day

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    So you're doing all cardio and upper body? What about the rest of your body.

Do the longer cardio day the day you lift, the shorter the day after. I don't know. So much cardio and upper body. Really you need to revamp all of this.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    Agree re incorporating leg work into your lifting plan. With regard to rowing, how sore are your arms after lifting? Your arms should only account for about 10% of the total power output of the rowing stroke, if done properly.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert on lifting (I'm just getting started), but I do rowing as my primary cardio (as does @CafeRacer808 above). My schedule is:

M: Row intervals
    T: Run, upper body & core
    W: Row steady state
    Th: Bike, lower body & core
    F: Rowing intervals
    S: Run, core only
    Su: Rest

If I'm warmed up and stretched properly, any muscle soreness dissipates and it's not a problem.

Rowing is in fact mostly legs, so check your form. Concept2 has good tips on its website.
  • jennyhart200
    jennyhart200 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I have heard many times that the best workout that you can do is one that you enjoy and will stick with. I haven't worked out in 6 years so I figured that I would start with workouts that I can stand. I'm planning on reassessing in a couple of months to balance my workout more, but now I'm just trying to force myself to go to the gym.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    When I first started, all I wanted to do was row. I just did that every day, nice and slow, building up my distance. After a while, I was ready to incorporate other things. So go at your own pace.

There's a rowing book on Amazon (something like "Breathe Deeply, Row Daily") that advocates for just rowing every day at a pace you can sustain for 45 minutes.
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Agree re incorporating leg work into your lifting plan. With regard to rowing, how sore are your arms after lifting? Your arms should only account for about 10% of the total power output of the rowing stroke, if done properly.

Exactly this. I've rowed crew now 5 years. Power is in the legs, some core, and little arms.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,583 Member
    Options
    Seconding the view that in rowing, the majority of power is from legs & back. Arms are involved, and get some work, but make a relatively smaller contribution.

You could either sub in the rowing as the cardio component before weight training on those days (shouldn't fatigue your upper body too much, if done correctly), or as part of your cardio on cardio-only days. Either would work in your current schedule.

Adding some lower body strength work could be a good plan, as others have suggested. Personally, I'd avoid lengthy rowing on leg day, though using an easy row as a short warm-up is probably OK.

Rowing is somewhat technical: Get someone who really knows how to do it to show you how, ideally. Even many trainers do it wrong.

A lot of folks at the gym set the machine on maximum resistance, then race up and down the slide at crazy speed trying to get a workout: Not correct.

It's all about compressing, pushing hard with legs, opening the body at the hip joint using glutes/back, then pulling through with the arms in a smooth, disciplined sequence, keeping weight/pressure on the handle throughout, then reversing that to recover back to the start of the next stroke.

You should feel your butt unweight slightly from the seat throughout the drive phase of each stroke, as power is transferred to the handle with your feet as the base. If done correctly for a longer piece, your legs should seriously feel it.

(I've been an on water rower for 14+ years, competed/medaled in water & machine racing, got coaching certification from USRowing - not just speculating.)
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Where are you legs? And what exactly does "upper body" entail? I have 3 upper body days a week and they are all completely different with different exercise, reps, and sets. Try deadlifting if you want to actually get stronger. Besides, I've been beaten by people in an arm wrestle then they come and lift with me and they usually can't even lift my second warm up on the major lifts.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I have heard many times that the best workout that you can do is one that you enjoy and will stick with. I haven't worked out in 6 years so I figured that I would start with workouts that I can stand. I'm planning on reassessing in a couple of months to balance my workout more, but now I'm just trying to force myself to go to the gym.

That's a fair comment, your routine does sound a little odd but good on you for making a start.

The simplest way to me would make your Monday and Thursday cardio sessions rowing. You shouldn't have any problems doing your "upper body" routine after rowing.
    Concept2 website has a good tutorial on rowing technique by the way.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    You need to incorporate legs into all that too.
  • Calieth
    Calieth Posts: 7 Member
    Options

Yes, that's it exactly. And since a lot of cardio is stuff you are doing on your feet, you are already incorporating body weight excercise for your lower body. My trainer told me that, and since I was way weaker in my upper body, he had me start with a plan similar to yours.

Rowing is both strength and cardio, and a nice whole body. And since its still great cardio, maybe try it for half of your cardio workout on Friday? If you start slow its a great warm up. So 2 min light rowing to get you going, and then try 10/15/20 min of rowing, then switch to your other cardio type. And mix up the ratios for what's fun. 10 minutes this week, 30 min next.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you are looking for rowing workout ideas...concept2 has a daily rowing workout you can get in your email- they have a short, medium and long one - i'll randomly throw into my workout schedule to mix things up
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Where are you legs? And what exactly does "upper body" entail? I have 3 upper body days a week and they are all completely different with different exercise, reps, and sets. Try deadlifting if you want to actually get stronger. Besides, I've been beaten by people in an arm wrestle then they come and lift with me and they usually can't even lift my second warm up on the major lifts.

Yeah, I wouldn't judge my own strength based on an arm wrestling match.
    I've gone to competition (with the fancy table, weigh ins, judges, etc) and was beat by a few women who I could definitely out lift in the gym. While strength is important, technique is also a huge part or arm wrestling. If someone else is in a better position, it's hard to out muscle them with shear strength alone.
    I would look into a full body program, or upper/lower split. I agree with the above, you should rethink the entire plan, not just how you can add rowing. It's also better to follow an established program lifting rather than create your own.
    If you're just doing arms you're neglecting a lot of important muscle groups. You want your strength to be well rounded, not just one area of your body. Only working one area is a good way to create muscle imbalances, which you don't want to do.
    For more pulling strength for arm wrestling specifically, deadlifts and rows are great.
    For incorporating rowing, you could use it as a warm up before lifting, or cardio after lifting. Or on your off days from lifting. Lots of possibilities!
    I'm sure some of the previous posters, or myself, would be happy to suggest lifting programs that are great for developing overall strength.